article-richard meadow, HAP VP marketing&sales

Peggy Sue

Saw this and thought you all may find it interesting, as we've had a few discussions here about average age of HAL passengers.

Richard Meadows, fresh in his new post as senior vp marketing

and sales at Holland America, sees positive trends with the

average passenger age of HAL's client base. He reports the

average age has been holding steady at 57 for the past three

years. That's meaningful, he contends, because boomers are

driving up the average age in the country. "And when you have a

trend where you're not aging with the bulk of the population, it

technically means you're getting younger," he says.

The age issue is critical for Holland America's future plans. "Like

other consumer goods going after people in the 50's age sector,

we have to make sure the product is what somebody yesterday

in their 30's wanted," he says. "They're not aging the way their

parents did, so it's important that Signature of Excellence syncs

with what today's 50-year-old would want. 50 is the new 30."

One of the ways people in this age sector trade up is in food and

wine. "They treat themselves to better restaurants, better wines,

better experiences," says Meadows. "Therefore, food transcends

into hobby and has a different role than just eating to eat. The

whole culinary arts center that we're developing fits right into that

market."

The culinary arts center won't be just teaching about things like

pot roast and mashed potatoes, to use the words of Holland VP

Sales Tracey Kelly. "This will incorporate regional cuisine and

regional wine," notes Kelly. "If we're in a certain part of the world,

we'll be talking about delicacies from that part of the world."

"50 is the new 30" can also be seen in the investment in spa

changes. "What we're doing with the GreenHouse spa

installation on the ships is along the lines that people are

spending more of their discretionary dollars on spa experience

for the personal kind of destress thing," says Meadows. "So

spas notions are bigger than they used to be. Facials are

bigger."

"This is not just new wallpaper, new furniture, and call it a day,"

notes Kelly. "We're moving steel and building out a whole new

facility."

Ditto for the kids areas. Kelly reports major structural changes

here will provide four separate sections for three distinct age

groups. "They used to start at age 5, but once the Signature of

Excellence is part of the ship, those facilities will start at age

three," he says.

A big focus is on teenagers. "There's going to be a lot of

emphasis put on building the area for teenagers, with the Loft

and Oasis being the two focal spaces," says Kelly. "Teenagers

will have their own loft, which will have a large flat-screen TV,

foozball table, air hockey, and overstuffed furniture. It's all

supervised."

The Loft will also have a secret stairway to the Oasis, which will

have a pool, sunning area, nine-foot waterfall, and nonalcoholic

bar. Again, it will be supervised, but not necessarily structured.

"When you're a teenager, you don't want to be in a children's

program, you just want a place to go," says Meadows. "There

will be organized activities, but it's not, 'Hey, come back at 10,

and we'll be doing so and so.'"

Notes Kelly: those in their 50's have teenagers, which is one

reason for the emphasis on this program.

Peggy Sue

The Culinary Arts Center will be hosting cooking demonstrations and classes at sea. The area is still going to be multi-functional in that it can be used as it once was as the Wajang Theater... a screen will appear for movies.

This is all very exciting stuff and the Ryndam is currently in dry dock in Victoria, BC where she will soon emerge with ALL enhancements completed. I am looking forward to sailing aboard her in Decmeber (the 4th) to witness it all. I will, of course, publish my traditional shipboard tour online reflecting all changes.

Steve

http://www.shipcafe.net

Thanks for posting this very interesting article.

But the burning question is: Will the Culinary Arts Center share HAL's meatloaf recipe?

And allow competing cruise lines to have access to this culinary delight? No way!!!!!:D

Steve

We'll be counting on your pictorial review and narrative on your website when you return.. Having the pleasure of on sailing on the Maasdam and Zuiderdam so far - looking forward to the enhancesments they will be making - expanded spa (for the wife and I) and the expanded Club HAL for my two girls. All four of us love HAL - (sailing next summer on our first btob back on the Zuid) but the enhancements will open the whole fleet up to us....which is okay by us!

Thanks

"Like other consumer goods going after people in the 50's age sector, we have to make sure the product is what somebody yesterday in their 30's wanted," he says. "They're not aging the way their parents did, so it's important that Signature of Excellence syncs with what today's 50-year-old would want. 50 is the new 30."

This appears to say that what the VP of doublespeak is interested in providing to me (in my 50's) are those things I wanted in my 30's. So does that mean I'll find Jill Ireland and Ann-Margret in my cabin? :rolleyes:

This appears to say that what the VP of doublespeak is interested in providing to me (in my 50's) are those things I wanted in my 30's. So does that mean I'll find Jill Ireland and Ann-Margret in my cabin? :rolleyes:
Those amenities are only available to suite guests. And note, although called a suite, the superior verandah suite (cat. SS) will not include Jill Ireland or Ann-Margret.

However, you can purchase a selection of actresses ahead of time through ship services.

Those amenities are only available to suite guests. And note, although called a suite, the superior verandah suite (cat. SS) will not include Jill Ireland or Ann-Margret.

However, you can purchase a selection of actresses ahead of time through ship services.

Shouldn't you be packing, or at least making up your detailed "outfit list" so you'll know what you're wearing and when? :rolleyes:

I do have an S booked for our January cruise - do you know which actrersses are on the O'dam that month?

:) -dave

Shouldn't you be packing, or at least making up your detailed "outfit list" so you'll know what you're wearing and when? :rolleyes:

No, I have plenty of time.;)

I do have an S booked for our January cruise - do you know which actrersses are on the O'dam that month?

:) -dave

Phyllis Diller. Enjoy!!:D

Interesting that Meadows sees the younger passenger trend as a positive development.

I guess he doesn't want us old fogies any more.:(

I agree. I'll never understand completely exactly why I'm too old for the advertiser's target. (Oh, sure, I've heard all the arguments.) I've reached the age where my financial obligations are reduced and my leisure time is increased. But they don't want to target my money?

Too bad. I'm trying to spend it all before the taxman can get it! And I've enjoyed spending it on HAL.

I know that changes are inevitable and needed to remain competitive. However, I just hope that these changes don't go too far in an attempt to be all things to all people. The various cruise lines have their markets. They have built themselves on those demographics. A Carnival ship is much different in appearance and activities than a HAL or Crystal ship. And, IMO, that's the way it should be.

I guess maybe I'm getting too old for HAL, too. I don't quite get the concept of a "culinary arts center." I thought that used to be the dining room. Heck, I don't want to sit around and talk about food or...worse yet...learn how to prepare or cook food. I'm already a cooking fool...I bet I cook 10 or 12 dinners a year now as it is! Weightwise, I can't afford to have food as a "hobby." I'm curious about the direction this is going to go.

This is all very exciting stuff and the Ryndam is currently in dry dock in Victoria, BC where she will soon emerge with ALL enhancements completed.

Steve

http://www.shipcafe.net

When Ryndam dry dock is complete will it be the first ship, excluding the Vista class ships, to have the complete SOE upgrades?

Will it have the new spa with the thassilotherapy pool and the necessity to buy the $15 per day package in order to use the steam room or sauna?

I have sailed on the Oosterdam and although the gym is free, I did miss not being able to shower and spend 10 minutes in the steam room without having to pay $15.

If this is the case, it is a SOE upgrade I could have done without.

I agree. I'll never understand completely exactly why I'm too old for the advertiser's target. (Oh, sure, I've heard all the arguments.) I've reached the age where my financial obligations are reduced and my leisure time is increased. But they don't want to target my money?

Too bad. I'm trying to spend it all before the taxman can get it! And I've enjoyed spending it on HAL.

Ruth-

I guess I too am too old for the advertiser's target!! At age 45 I don't really want to hear "pop" music and loved HAL because of it's luxurious ambiance.:eek: I thought that economically speaking we babyboomers were a fine demographic to court. You are correct, many of us have increased leisure time and economic stability as we age.

Perhaps HAL is biting the hand that feeds them????:confused: :cool:

This idea won't attract me. After 42 years of planning, shopping for, and cooking three or more meals a day, I'm relieved now that I can afford to buy the restaurant meals.

On the other hand, I always wished that I could do woodworking. Maybe the men who didn't get to learn to cook and sew will take up culinary arts, and HAL will put a wood working shop in for us. :D

Or how about art classes?

Or oral language classes?

Hmmmm....okay, so "50 is the new 30":rolleyes: . The good news is I'm delighted to find out I'm 40:D .

Now for the bad news. I don't want to seem old fashioned, and I know we're constantly told "change is good", but I also believe "if it ain't broke don't fix it". HAL had a fabulous product. I thought when Carnival took over they didn't want to play around with something they knew worked. They have their "fun" market so why do we have to hack up HAL and try to create yet another "fun" market.

It makes me terribly sad. I loved the days of 700 "guests" on a ship when you got to know everyone including the Cruise Director. But that's gone unless you want to pay an arm and a leg and we can't. So I said good bye to that. Finally I was basically narrowed down to HAL and Celebrity and now it seems I'll be narrowed to Celebrity. And maybe eventually narrowed to nothing. And I'm sorry, but I think there's a huge market in the 60 and over category, with a lot of time (finally) to travel, and most of us living to a very ripe old age. So they have us for at least 20 years and more. Why alienate us by taking away that to which we have become loyal?

When they hoist that rock climbing wall up to the top deck, I'm definitely outta there:eek: .

The age issue is critical for Holland America's future plans. "Like

other consumer goods going after people in the 50's age sector,

we have to make sure the product is what somebody yesterday

in their 30's wanted," he says. "They're not aging the way their

parents did, so it's important that Signature of Excellence syncs

with what today's 50-year-old would want. 50 is the new 30."

I don't want what I wanted in my 30's, if I did I would be sailing on Carnival. :rolleyes:

One of the ways people in this age sector trade up is in food and

wine. "They treat themselves to better restaurants, better wines,

better experiences," says Meadows. "Therefore, food transcends

into hobby and has a different role than just eating to eat. The

whole culinary arts center that we're developing fits right into that

market."

Most people in their 50's are fighting the lbs. Who needs more ways to pile on the weight? :eek:

The culinary arts center won't be just teaching about things like

pot roast and mashed potatoes, to use the words of Holland VP

Sales Tracey Kelly. "This will incorporate regional cuisine and

regional wine," notes Kelly. "If we're in a certain part of the world,

we'll be talking about delicacies from that part of the world."

THE INFAMOUS MEATLOAF RECIPE, MAYBE WITH A CARIBBEAN FLARE !!! :D

"50 is the new 30" can also be seen in the investment in spa

changes. "What we're doing with the GreenHouse spa

installation on the ships is along the lines that people are

spending more of their discretionary dollars on spa experience

for the personal kind of destress thing," says Meadows. "So

spas notions are bigger than they used to be. Facials are

bigger."

Does this mean they are going to lose Steiner's? I doubt it.

The Loft will also have a secret stairway to the Oasis, which will

have a pool, sunning area, nine-foot waterfall, and nonalcoholic

bar. Again, it will be supervised, but not necessarily structured.

"When you're a teenager, you don't want to be in a children's

program, you just want a place to go," says Meadows. "There

will be organized activities, but it's not, 'Hey, come back at 10,

and we'll be doing so and so.'"

I can see Rev Neal hiding in the secrect staircase for skeet practice. :D

Notes Kelly: those in their 50's have teenagers, which is one

reason for the emphasis on this program.

How many people out there that are in their 50's have teens ?

I am 45, my DH 60. We have 2 teen boys, age 12 and 16. Up to now I have not cruised HAL with them, but will next year, with the belief that they now know how to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner. I believe they will enjoy the finer things including the art collection that HAL has to offer. It sure would be nice to have a place on the Ships where the teens could hang out in a flexible but supervised environment, so they are not bored and into mischief. :cool:

That said I am not pleased with the belief that Pop Music is necessary in all open areas. :eek: Artists that we can all come to agreement on like Harry Connick as well as classics like Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole, and even the Beatles are options. The music needs to be in keeping with the ambiance. HAL's ambiance needs to be maintained throughout the changes, or HAL will lose it's faithful followers, including myself and DH.:(

I am 45, my DH 60. We have 2 teen boys, age 12 and 16.

Personally, I found that their thinking that those in their 50's have teenagers didn't seem right to me. I would think the majority in this age demographic would NOT have teenagers at home anymore. Those that do would be a very little percentage of the population.

I'm in my early 40's and my kids range in ages 20-23. I'm at the age I want to GET AWAY from teenagers and kids on a cruise which is why I thought HAL would be a good choice as the numbers are small. I'm sure this upcoming cruise won't be an issue. If this is the marketing strategy.. it sure sounds like the same one RCCL went through. The changes were not favorable for those sailing without the under 18 crowd. However - is a big hit for families.

It would be interesting to see how this pans out.

At 30 we were much into 'at home' entertaining, as were our friends. We took turns displaying our culinary achievements, always on a budget; at 50 'eating out' was 'in' but we still entertained, less frequently tho. Now 60+ with kids gone, it's boring to cook for two so we eat out and, quite frankly, too much effort to entertain so I personally have no interest in cooking classes. Did cook up a storm this past weekend - all the dishes I dragged out for the occasion are still (all washed) on the dining room table and my fridge is cluttered with bits of this and that - who needs it!

We cruise, mainly on HAL for the ambiance (that was and hopefully will remain) - for at least 10 or 12 days (more if possible) to escape all domestic chores. I have laundry done before leaving the ship. We enjoy lazy days at sea anywhere other than the Caribbean - been on one island, you've virtually been on them all!

Are 'baby boomers' any different? I personally think Mr. Meadows is all wet! :p

As for ear splitting 'music' in every part of the ship :eek: The kids may like it but, in self defence, I carry earplugs everywhere these days.

Personally, I found that their thinking that those in their 50's have teenagers didn't seem right to me. I would think the majority in this age demographic would NOT have teenagers at home anymore. Those that do would be a very little percentage of the population.

I'm in my early 40's and my kids range in ages 20-23. I'm at the age I want to GET AWAY from teenagers and kids on a cruise which is why I thought HAL would be a good choice as the numbers are small. I'm sure this upcoming cruise won't be an issue. If this is the marketing strategy.. it sure sounds like the same one RCCL went through. The changes were not favorable for those sailing without the under 18 crowd. However - is a big hit for families.

It would be interesting to see how this pans out.

I was one of those career woman who got the career running before having babies. Granted, I am one of the older Moms at my kids events, but I sure see Moms in their late forties and fifties there too, they just look a little more tired!:eek: ;)

I still would not recommend HAL particularly to parents with young kids, but teens are a different issue. I want my children to be well versed on proper etiquette, and this is a good practice run for real life. Be well assured, I will watch them and not let them run wild. Hopefully all these years of teaching them manners will pay off!!!:cool:

Archived