Grandeur Bashing on News

Well, she got her 5 minutes of fame...on record...now, she can contact the lawyers and sue.

We seasoned seadogs look forward to 30 foot seas, don't we? Makes you realize you're on a ship, for crying out loud.

I would love to comment on the "Orally" and Keith thingie........but, I've managed to maintain myself and save my remarks for another forum where we discuss politics and such.

Well' date=' she got her 5 minutes of fame...on record...now, she can contact the lawyers and sue.

We seasoned seadogs look forward to 30 foot seas, don't we? Makes you realize you're on a ship, for crying out loud.

I would love to comment on the "Orally" and Keith thingie........but, I've managed to maintain myself and save my remarks [b']for another forum where we discuss politics and such.[/b]

Got a link?

:D

How did she know about all the info the captain had? I'm sorry she just looks evil.

On top of that, I've been on a cruise in bad weather, 25 ft swells... and 55 mph winds... A lot of passengers were sick, yes, but we survived and didn't go crying to the nightly news.

I feel like she would have complained if they had to stay in Bermuda an extra night... The captain was d***ed if he did and d***ed if he didn't leave port. I commend him for getting the ship back to his home port safely. And trying to keep some sense of humor facing bad weather...

Hi Suez,

Yes you right about the OP not being too impressed with the Grandeur. We have been on other ships that have had better food, but I think that the crew itself is second to none. Some of the hardest working crew we have seen. I got the impression that the OP was actually referring to the ship itself, no matter what the weather may be. The lady on the news was referring to Captain Rob's decision to continue the cruise in the inclement weather. I believe that he would be THE MAN to make that decision.

My DH is a retired Us Navy officer that spent 17 out of 21 years at sea. If DH is comfortable with Captain Rob, then you can bet I am.

If you get a chance to go to the Schooner for a drink, be sure to look up Michael. He is one of the BEST bartender/waiter that I have ever seen in a lounge. We were on the ship in 09/2006 then again 12/2007. In 2007 we went into the Schooner to have a drink, sat down at a table and Michael looked at my husband, called him by his First and Last name and remembered his drink. If you see Saint Michael (that is what I started calling him), tell him the Orr's that drink Sam Adams (DH) and wife drinks BBC's, said hello and give him our best our best wishes. He is AWESOME!!!!!

C

I seem to recall that during the Smith case, the only cable reporter who tried to do an accurate report was Greta on Fox. The PMS and CNN types were truly awful (Scarborough,Grace, etc.).

I recorded the show where she walked around the Brilliance with the Captain who pointed out the areas involved in the story.

It has more to do with the reporter than anything else. And Greta is a pro, unlike most of the clowns on all the cable networks.

Well' date=' she got her 5 minutes of fame...on record...now, she can contact the lawyers and sue.

I would love to comment on the "Orally" and Keith thingie........but, I've managed to maintain myself and save my remarks for another forum where we discuss politics and such.[/quote']

I wonder what she will do with the 10 minutes of fame she has left?

Great thread Suze, thanks for posting the link to the newscast. I didn't see it when it aired.

I too would sail with Captain Rob again on any ship, anywhere, anytime and any weather!

P.S. - To Suze. I am looking at the '09' Itinerary tonight. Your DH, Ken.

What do these people expect sailing in the North Atlantic? It can get rough anywhere especially in the North Atlantic. That's why even though I live near Baltimore and NYC I will fly to Florida or Puerto Rico to get on a ship.

I love the vision class and will be on the Grandeur in Jan. We really enjoy rough seas. My DH always hopes we have a nice storm heading out. We kind of have the ship to ourselves. Surprising how many stay in their cabins. When they close the big outside doors we know the fun will start. One cruise the ship listed almost 40 degrees when the waiters were singing on the stairs. No one fell, if they would have it would be because they were laughing to hard. If a cruise ship can sail in hurrican season what's a seasonal storm to her? If the ship movement bothers you stick with the voyager class or larger. They are really steady in the water. Doesn't even feel like you are at sea.

Thank you so much for posting the link to the news article. I never would have expected to actually hear Captain Rob's voice while sitting at my old desktop reading CC blogs. When I clicked play and actually heard Captain Rob speaking I wanted to get my Cruise Compass to what time the show was going to start. Love that ship and Captain Rob.

C

When I hit that link, I closed my eyes and pictured my trip last month with Captain Rob to Bermuda. DH and I truly LOVED hearing his voice every day. Please add me to the list of people that would go on any sailing where Captain Rob is in charge.

I just sent the following to the Fox station (Fox5DC) that ran the stupid interview ....

I'd like to request that FOX follow up with some other people on the sailing that this woman was referring to. I have spoken with many people that have cruised before, as well as some that were on this sailing. Your interview was completely one-sided and unfair to Captain Rob Hempstead and to Royal Caribbean. I did that exact sailing one month ago. Yes, the Atlantic ocean is rough .... duh. So is flying into a thunder storm. Please look at both sides of a story before you scare more potential cruisers.

I just sent the following to the Fox station (Fox5DC) that ran the stupid interview ....

I'd like to request that FOX follow up with some other people on the sailing that this woman was referring to. I have spoken with many people that have cruised before, as well as some that were on this sailing. Your interview was completely one-sided and unfair to Captain Rob Hempstead and to Royal Caribbean. I did that exact sailing one month ago. Yes, the Atlantic ocean is rough .... duh. So is flying into a thunder storm. Please look at both sides of a story before you scare more potential cruisers.

Typical Faux News story. Great follow up letter!

Had it been covered on an ABC/NBC/CBS affiliate or CNN then the reporter would have certainly blamed republicans and President Bush for the poor weather and rough seas.

HaHaHaHa!!! It must be Global Warming that caused the rough seas! LOL!:D

I love the vision class and will be on the Grandeur in Jan. We really enjoy rough seas. My DH always hopes we have a nice storm heading out. We kind of have the ship to ourselves. Surprising how many stay in their cabins. When they close the big outside doors we know the fun will start. One cruise the ship listed almost 40 degrees when the waiters were singing on the stairs. No one fell, if they would have it would be because they were laughing to hard. If a cruise ship can sail in hurrican season what's a seasonal storm to her? If the ship movement bothers you stick with the voyager class or larger. They are really steady in the water. Doesn't even feel like you are at sea.

I'm with you on that one. We were on the Vision for Alaska and hit a storm and had to miss Skagway. The seas were very rough with stuff flying around in the Windjammer. It was hard to walk around, but we survived. For us it was great. Thats all part of cruising.

Jan

Just listened to the interview. We were on this sailing and the captain and crew did as well as anyone could expect under the circumstances. Weather is as we all know, unpredictable. We feel as another poster said that we would love to cruise again with Capt. Rob at the helm. This was our first cruise, exciting, memorable; and I would embark the Grandeur again, and plan to, as soon as we can. Thank you Captain Rob for making our first cruise so wonderful!

I've sailed with the Navy on much smaller ships in this part of the Atlantic. It can be rough at any time, even without a storm. I've also sailed on the Grandeur with Captain Rob & will again. He's a good Captain & would not endanger the crew & passengers or his ship.

I've gone to Bermuda on the Empress & Celebrity Horizon, much smaller ships, & both times people were getting sick & I didn't think it was rough at all. They put out the barf bags then, too.

It's a shame that people seeing that news item will think poorly of Captain Rob, RCCL & cruising in general. We, here, all know that the article was one sided & just plain BS.

Fox, thanks for letting us " wannabe cruising " people hear Captain Rob's voice again until the next time we can sail on the Grandeur which can't be soon enough for this cruiser! He was great on the previous cruises we've been on and we always looked forward to his messages when we were aboard his ship...as for the rough seas...on a ship...in the ocean...weather happens...have fun flying the friendly skies...I'll be fighting for Kelli's pool chair...;)

Anybody see this news story? It ran Saturday night.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/ContentDetail?contentId=6562759

Some of my thoughts:

1. The woman doesn't come right out and say it, but the inference is that they should have stayed in Bermuda, since they "knew" they were heading back in the storm. They also didn't say so, but I suspect this was this woman's first cruise. Regular cruisers know that rough conditions are always possible and you just deal with it. DH and I have been through TWO hurricanes on the Grandeur - Ernesto and Gaston - and yes, it was rough, but we never felt we were in danger, nor did we call a news station to complain.

2. I'm disappointed in the coverage, because they did not talk to other passengers who might have offered a different point of view, particularly if they were seasoned cruisers. She did say that the crew was great, though.

3. Wondering if Captain Rob will get in trouble over his statement about "the perfect storm". We love Captain Rob and his dry humor (not that he was being humorous this time, though). Hopefully nothing more comes of this.

4. What does the lady want other than to complain on the news??

5. Wasn't Herb (wraithe) on this sailing as well??

Thoughts?

Suze!

It's a news story on a local FOX station. Anyone with half a brain would know to ignore it as hyperbolic crap. I gave up on watching anything on the local news.

If you've ever been to ole Bawl-ti-more, you'll know that people from this area are very friendly and kind. No, they aren't ever going to be rich or famous, or sophisticated, but there's nothing like going to the Caribbean with a bunch of friendly, down-to-earth folks from my hometown. Nothing like hearing a greeting from folks you've met on-board that kind of goes like, "How ya doin', HON?"

Oh, man, how much fun would Hon Cruise be??? Can I be first to ask how much Aqua Net I can check? ;)

Archived