Cruise Critic in the news

emptynest1

The writer of the article jumps to the conclusion that the ban was due to negative reviews and that statement was not backed up with any support. That may or may not be true, but the statement should be backed up with facts.

First of all how did RC know the identity of the person when they were posting on Cruise Critic? Second, I don't think the person wouldn't have been banned if they hadn't revealed the amount they received in compensation. That apparently opened up a whole kettle of worms with people contacting RC and demanding similar compensation or complaining about the compensation that the banned person got.

When I read the article I had this mental picture of this lady running around the ship with a notebook looking for problems.

I am more concerned here with the alledged attempt to have the reviews removed. I realize one of those people who said that was Mrs. Moran however the other was one of the hosts from another board who doesn't have an ax to grind.

First of all how did RC know the identity of the person when they were posting on Cruise Critic? Second, I don't think the person wouldn't have been banned if they hadn't revealed the amount they received in compensation. That apparently opened up a whole kettle of worms with people contacting RC and demanding similar compensation or complaining about the compensation that the banned person got.

Unless they signed an agreement that they wouldn't divulge the compensation, they have every right to do so. Though I do believe that was the straw that broke the camel's back for RCCL.

But I agree with another poster - if there where supported claims of mistreatment or unsatisfactory service, it is valid to complain. And about the sewage back up, not only did they have the smell to contend with, it's incredibly unsanitary. Alaska cruises are expensive. What if they'd been in an inside cabin and no way to vent or air the cabin out. I'm not saying that all of their claims were valid because none of us know that. I would venture to guess that even RCCL doesn't know that, but they just didn't want to deal with the Morans and the probablity of it happening again. A restaurant can refuse service to anyone, and I guess a cruiseline can too.

• Administrators

Folks:

Please stick to the *issue* at hand and not the person, so that your posting privileges remain intact.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Laura

::::subscribing to thread:::::::

I read the complaint about the bathroom plumbing. Everyone has to keep in mind that this poster is giving one side of the story. Something about that whole mess just doesn't smell right and I have to believe that this person has complained about a lot. RCL certainly has every right to deny their services.

I hesitate to believe that it was because she has posted negative reviews or complaints. I would have been baned long ago with all the moaning about stuff that I do.

Folks:

Please stick to the *issue* at hand and not the person, so that your posting privileges remain intact.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Laura

::::subscribing to thread:::::::

Laura, I saw your name in that article. Must mean you are famous now.

Hi, EN! I saw that article too, and I have to agree with you. There's probably a LOT more to this story than we've been privy to.:cool: I hardly believe that Royal Caribbean made their decision lightly.

I know nothing about these people, but in the most general sense, I APPLAUD the idea of a company choosing not to do business with customers they consider to be a pain in the a__. I think if being a pain in the a__ wasn't so frequently rewarded, then perhaps fewer people would be that way...

I think that if passengers have legitimate serious issues or complaints that need to be addressed by the cruise company, and they post the issue here on CC it will not get them banned. Fair criticism is rarely a problem with service oriented companies.

However, if one is actively looking for things to find wrong on a cruise, maybe even bringing along investigative equipment in order to pick apart every detail of the room, or find fault with any thing and every thing all for the purpose of getting compensation or a free upgrade, then a pattern starts to develop, that is, after a while, going to picked up on by the cruise line.

If indeed this was the case then the cruise line has a right to stand its ground and ban the customer.

Read Sheehan statement, and see what you get out of it.

"Sheehan says since 2004, the Morans sailed six voyages with two of the company’s lines. “On all but one of those sailing the Morans felt there were a variety of service failures they experienced,” he said. “In a small number of cases we agreed and compensated them appropriately. In most cases, however, we disagreed. Having concluded that we are unable to meet the expectations of the Morans, we have told them that they would be best served by sailing with another company.”"

I'm not sure the Cruise Critic postings had much to do with it as much as they may have just backed up the evaluation of the situation by RCCL.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24711659

Anyone see this article. I remember reading the comments about the bathroom a while ago.

I located and read all three reviews by this CC member (easy to find the one from Radiance as there were only 4 reviews from September). On all 3 reviews Brenda stated she had a good time and 2 reviews were 5 plus stars and the last 4 stars. The last appears to be a CC group cruise. The letters to RCCL must have had a very different tone.

"Sheehan says since 2004, the Morans sailed six voyages with two of the company’s lines. “On all but one of those sailing the Morans felt there were a variety of service failures they experienced,” he said. “In a small number of cases we agreed and compensated them appropriately. In most cases, however, we disagreed. Having concluded that we are unable to meet the expectations of the Morans, we have told them that they would be best served by sailing with another company.”"

Than why are two of their reviews 5 plus stars (and the last 4 stars)?

First of all how did RC know the identity of the person when they were posting on Cruise Critic?

That's easy...the review had her email on it. They can also look up the cruises in someone's signature. A lot of people even put their stateroom numbers in addition to their travel dates!

Also, if you join a Celebrity Connections party (or an RCI one), then you need to supply your information, cross referenced on CC with your username.

Something to think about!

As I recall, Sprint cellular got rid a number of problem customers a while back. Sprint said they constantly complained and took up so much of their time, that Sprint canceled their cell phone contracts.

Seems me to me that a company can decline to do business with a customer if they don't discriminate in doing so. File too many claims with an insurance company and watch what happens.

Remember that guy who refused to let O.J. eat at his restaurant?

Hmmmmmmmm, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same individual who bragged about bringing a black light on Summit to find "icky" stuff on the bedspread????:eek:

Yes, this would be the same individual.

First of all how did RC know the identity of the person when they were posting on Cruise Critic?

It was a one time sailing of Radiance and they posted their exact stateroom number in their review. Not hard to figure out who is in X stateroom on a certain sailing of a certain ship.

I couldn't be more pleased with RCL's action. We've all run into people on cruises whose main recreational activity seems to be haranguing the ship's staff. Anecdotes could lead to pages, but suffice it to say I always wonder what sort of paradise they must live in at home, if the things they complain about aboard are the issues worthy of their time.

Their complaints directly and indirectly have a negative effect on all passenger's enjoyment. Any time a company realizes - despite their best efforts - they can not please a customer, they should stop trying, and devote their efforts to the customers they CAN satisfactorily serve.

To summarize: If only everyone who claimed "I'll never do business here again!" would keep their promise, they, the business, and the business' other customers would likely ALL be happier and better off.

Harris

Denver, CO

I think this is a great move that cruisers who do this sort of thing for sport finally have someone to have been made an example of.

Goes to show the scammers, the ones that boast about the success in obtaining credits as a result of their complaints and letter writing campaigns about one thing after another that the game of effort to bilk the cruise line is over.

Definitely a wake up call for some to take heed!!!

I believe a company has every right to deny service to anyone they want. I also believe any customer has the right to relate facts and even interject opinion as long as clearly stated.

My concerns are these:

1) Alleged pressure by company to modify a post. It could have been for a good reason in that the information/issue was incorrect or resolved. We do not know.

2) Alleged that the customer has a pattern of looking for issues/problems and then presses company for discounts. We do not know. This one bothers me more for some reason if true.

I have been on cruises with problems and I have never had a cruise ruined. I hope I never have, but can see where a cruise could be ruined. I have written letters and depending on the reason for the letter, I have gotten some consideration. I will say also that I have written positive letters for outstanding service/product also.

Archived