Complaining Couple Banned from RCI

I think if you read the review, you'll find it's balanced and the ship was highly rated by the member. I can't see how Royal Caribbean could find fault with the review.

Let's keep in mind that any discussions on these boards must be about the topic. Cruise Critic is serious about the Community Guidelines. Please stick to the issue at hand or you may find your posting privileges permanently suspended.

Karen

HostKaren@CruiseCritic.com

It would be nice if MSNBC told both sides of the story,but they prefer to stir the pot.I agree the review wasn't bad

I agree that the subtitle of : "Think you can't be blacklisted from the high seas? Meet the Morans" is a little pot stirring for people who haven't heard or know much about cruising.

But as for the rest of article, I don't think it's that bad. They talk about what the people complained about and gave RCI's voice that obviously they couldn't satisfy this couple and just said not to come back. That happens a lot in life! One time a car repair place replaced something on our car that didn't need to be fixed and then blamed us and told us never to come back.

I was surprised that cruiselines admitted to reading up online about what people are saying about the cruises. To me, it shows the power of the typed word!

I agree though, that I think that the review was okay - not overboard one way or another. If I had read it without reading the article I would have come away thinking - Yeah they had some problems but had a good time. After the article and looking through the lens that this person is ticked, you get a different reading. It's just whether or not you are able to be objective when reading it!

Having worked in tourism for many years I have had the misfortune to come across a few 'professional complainers' who will be glowing one moment and stabbing you in the back in the next breath. I have also seen to it that one individual was banned for life from every coach tour operator in the UK after discovering that she had systematically been on holidays, had a great time but then written extremely nasty letters to the companies concerned complaining about everything. She did this for 5 years and got free trips, compenstation etc.

What she didn't reckon on was that she would be on one of my vehicles and that I would hear her doing this sort of thing and other passengers had also complained to me about her too. So I faced up to her and was given permission to offload her by the company I was working for at the time under charter. I removed her from the vehicle, told her in no uncertain terms that her behaviour was not going to be tolerated and that she was banned from every single coach operator/tour operator in the UK for life. She took herself home from the resort and tried to get compensation etc from the chartering company...little did she know that they were kept well informed about her behaviour and she was given nothing but a letter confirming her ban.

I'm afraid that I will not tolerate this sort of person, they are the lowest of the low IMHO and get treated as such, especially if their behaviour spoils the enjoyment of others.

Perhaps she writes good reviews and than sends nasty letters? I would think that they get tired of hearing complaints from people over and over again. Once in a while perhaps a nice letter would work wonders for people like her.

I just read her review, honestly I thought it was very fair, she pointed out the bad bits but also said a lot of good things about the staff etc I cant imagine why RCI had such an issue with her review, I have read a lot worse! I didnt think it was over the top and I dont think she spent the whole time bad mouthing RCI - I really have no idea what the problem is? :confused: Its a bit of a worry though thinking you could get banned for life for telling people about aspects of your trip you were not happy with or how the cruiseline failed to address problems!

All I can assume is that perhaps she was possibly not very polite in her personal dealings with RCI customer service and thats why they banned her - I cant imagine why they would ban someone for a review like the one she wrote!?

Host Karen, I agree. The review was nice and I don't think they had an issue with that...just subsequent posts/threads and discussions - right?

The article makes it sound as if the review was a big issue. I just don't see that. There have been worse reviews about Royal Caribbean ships and I find it difficult to believe that the company contacts the authors and asks for them to be rescinded. I find the whole "Big Brother" slant of the article too farfetched to be accurate. JMHO

Karen

I have no problem with the ban. I think they should have just stuck with the "We are unable to meet your expectations so its possible another line may be better able to serve you" route from the start...but really I have no issue with what they did

We have had a couple occasions where we have had to have this discussion with past guests at our hotel. I cant stand people who try to complain their way into more and more adjustments

Perhaps she writes good reviews and than sends nasty letters? I would think that they get tired of hearing complaints from people over and over again. Once in a while perhaps a nice letter would work wonders for people like her.

She can be very coarse on here in the boards while being nice on the reviews, and yes, I would imagine she does write nasty letters in order to gain financial compensation.

Sadly the world has many like her. People don't realise how two faced people can be til they meet a professional complainer. Believe me, they are not pleasant people, they usually have few if any real friends and sometimes (as was the case with the one I caught) they start bragging about how to get compensation, free holidays etc...and they drop themselves right in the wotsit.

We aren't party to what RCI received from her by way of letters, but the line would not have acted in this way without alot of provocation and legal guidance too (making sure that what they do doesn't end up in a court/lawsuit). They won't have made this decision lightly, its more than their corporate life is worth. The decision would have come from the top.

Hopefully she will now realise that shaking someone by the hand with one hand and using the other hand to stab in the back really does not pay.

The article makes it sound as if the review was a big issue. I just don't see that. There have been worse reviews about Royal Caribbean ships and I find it difficult to believe that the company contacts the authors and asks for them to be rescinded. I find the whole "Big Brother" slant of the article too farfetched to be accurate. JMHO

Karen

I wonder if the review that prompted the phone call was the review in the review section here or actually a thread review. I remember some very heated, more detailed posts concerning this cruise. I also seem to remember most were deleted because the discusion got heated.

Karen

Ditto...the review was very fair.

Wasn't this the member who made a point of bringing a blacklight with her and went over every surface in her cabin? She then complained about any thing that fluoresced (and many things glow under a blacklight that are not a health problem or filth).

She also started an extensive thread on here about her blacklight escapades.

I wonder what took RCCL so long to wise up to her game.

Wasn't this the member who made a point of bringing a blacklight with her and went over every surface in her cabin? She then complained about any thing that fluoresced (and many things glow under a blacklight that are not a health problem or filth).

She also started an extensive thread on here about her blacklight escapades.

I wonder what took RCCL so long to wise up to her game.

You got it...yep..that is the one.

Archived