Airline baggage prices!! WOW

Now this is getting just plain bad. Any one flying to get to point of embarcation and if you have more than a carry on your going to have to really pay the price for flying. The airlines have put on notice that the first bag will be $25 the second bag $50 the third bag $75 and all other baggs $100.Now that a lot of money. Where will it STOP????

Fritz:mad: :mad: :mad:

Now this is getting just plain bad. Any one flying to get to point of embarcation and if you have more than a carry on your going to have to really pay the price for flying. The airlines have put on notice that the first bag will be $25 the second bag $50 the third bag $75 and all other baggs $100.Now that a lot of money. Where will it STOP????

I've only heard about American Airlines planning to charge $25 per bag. Have you heard of any other airlines making an announcement to follow suit? If so, please let us know.

It was on a Travel Agent website that American was the first USA carrier to charge for luggage. (Some European carriers do.) $15 for first and $25 for the second. Some other carriers are charging for the 2nd already. (USAir started that a while back). The article said to expect the other large carriers will follow suit. I did hear on a radio newscast Delta said it has no plans to do charge for the first piece at this time. They are charging the $25 for the second piece according to their website.

This is what I just pulled from american airline's website:

Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after May 12, 2008 but before June 15, 2008 may check one bag for free and check a second bag for $25 each way. Customers who purchase domestic economy class tickets on or after June 15, 2008 will be charged $15 each way for the first checked bag and $25 each way for the second checked bag. Exceptions may apply. Our carry-on policy of one personal item (such as a purse or laptop bag) plus one bag remains in place. Current policies for baggage allowance as well as fees for checked baggage can be found below.

NOTE: The following applies only to travel within or between the U.S., Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada unless otherwise stated. Please check with our Reservations personnel for International policies or information not covered below.

Okay, we got a good deal with AA about 3 weeks back, I'll have to check the date, but I am assuming that if you already booked with them, BEFORE May 12th, they will not charge this fee? Does that seem right. We are a family of 6 and before I booked, if they had this set in place, I would have looked around more and would have considered the extra baggage fees into the price. For $15./per bag each way for our family, that adds $180. extra!!! That's almost another round trip fare. UGH! When will the madness end?? Thats not even counting 1 extra bag, just the minimum.

We have two cruises coming up and we have booked America. We have decided that it will be the last ones we fly to. if we cannot drive to the embarkation point then it is somewhere else for vacation. There are to many choices to vacation to go through the aggravation of the flying. this is from some one who used to enjoy flying, not anymore. the cost of driving will be the same as flying or possibly a few dollars more but more comfortable. there is more leg room in our car, no TSA checks, we can stop and stretch whenever we feel like and we are crammed together three across. the airlines are geting themselves into a no win situation, customer service be damned will drive people away. We have driven to San Diego a number of times to pick up a ship and enjoyed the ride. when you put it together it is close to the same time as flying and the costs are comparable.

Ummmmmm where are you getting this information from ???

It certainly is not accurate as you state !

We have two cruises coming up and we have booked America. We have decided that it will be the last ones we fly to. if we cannot drive to the embarkation point then it is somewhere else for vacation. There are to many choices to vacation to go through the aggravation of the flying. this is from some one who used to enjoy flying, not anymore. the cost of driving will be the same as flying or possibly a few dollars more but more comfortable. there is more leg room in our car, no TSA checks, we can stop and stretch whenever we feel like and we are crammed together three across. the airlines are geting themselves into a no win situation, customer service be damned will drive people away. We have driven to San Diego a number of times to pick up a ship and enjoyed the ride. when you put it together it is close to the same time as flying and the costs are comparable.

Some good points, but for myself and DW, lets say going to Miami... 16 hrs. r/t drive (crap, now I have to take additional time off of work just to drive)....if airfare costs are within the realm of cost effective, I'll be flying for sure and not driving. :D

Even driving is getting pretty expensive these days. Vacations are going to suffer as people will just not be able to afford to go.

Air travel will likely get worse as the airlines look to cut flights and cram each flight as full as possible, so any cancelled flight will have bad ripple effects along the way.

I'd say look at the budget airlines in Europe and see all the extra charges they have and expect some of that to really take hold here...not that some of the airlines haven't already done so, fortunately we live in Continental country and they offer by far the best services around and so far don't charge for every little thing.

Buy your own jet and air travel gets much easier, just a bit more expensive. :D

Okay, we got a good deal with AA about 3 weeks back, I'll have to check the date, but I am assuming that if you already booked with them, BEFORE May 12th, they will not charge this fee? Does that seem right.

As long as you book before June 15, there is not a fee for the first checked bag.

To avoid any of the "skakedown" tactics by skycaps or ticket counter people, we emailed each airline we are using and asked for a statement confirming the number of "free" checked bags. This way we have something in writting to defend ourselves from people who either don't know or try to profit from the rules.

The whole "airline" thing is a hassle and a pain! If we can't drive (for the time being) we won't go! They jam more and more people into the same space, won't let you bring the things you need for a trip, and are immune to any consequences of leaving you sitting on the runway in a hot plane for hours on end. It's simply not worth it, to me, to fly anymore!

I realize that airlines are trying to make money, but inconveniencing the passengers that they are there to serve is NOT the way to do it!~

Remember that an airlines best flyers (elite) are exempt from these charges.

Thus, this is aimed at the infrequent or leisure traveller. As to why it is happening, the answer is simple - the price of OIL and the fact that the airlines are losing millions of dollars each day.

Fortunately, I live withing 20 minutes of a major east coast airport that offers many choices to/from the Florida market. I will continue to fly my favorite Southwest until/unless they get into the nonsense the other carriers dabble around with.

If that happens, Li'l Skippy and I will drive......and stay at a hotel near the port that offers free parking as part of their "fly-away" package. I've driven it before by choice and it's no big deal.

Legend:

Li'l Skippy = my 1997 Pontiac Sunfire...32-38 MGP highway...........

So glad I am only 20 minutes from one port and only a few hours to 4 others.............................or there would be no cruises in my near future. But as everything goes up I wonder what the cruise lines will have to do....if they stop filling the ships because airline fares make it to hard on families to cruise as often....will the cruise lines price themselves out of the market to cover their rising costs or will there be deals to be had so they can try to fill the ships....only time will tell!

I am booked on Delta for my trip in July. Their baggage policy is one cnecked bag for free, the second checked bag is $25, the 3rd - 5th checked bags are $80 each. This is for domestic flights only. If you are flying internationally, you are allowed two bags, the 3rd - 5th checked bags are $150 each. I am afraid as fuel prices continue to skyrocket, so will the extra bag fees, fuel supplements charges, etc. It makes me really think about if and how I will be traveling in the future.

Give Delta a call... I checked their website and verified its accuracy with a call myself for our future flights... I think your info is incorrect regarding the beyond 2nd bag fee for both domestic and international flights. I did find a sight that stated the same info you are stating, but according to Delta, those facts are NOT ACCURATE.

So glad I am only 20 minutes from one port and only a few hours to 4 others.............................or there would be no cruises in my near future. But as everything goes up I wonder what the cruise lines will have to do....if they stop filling the ships because airline fares make it to hard on families to cruise as often....will the cruise lines price themselves out of the market to cover their rising costs or will there be deals to be had so they can try to fill the ships....only time will tell!

I would think and hope for the latter. However, that being said, our future cruise plans will need to be re-evaluated as air fare goes out of sight. The trickle down effect is effecting everything we do and buy. The sad thing is, I do not see this changing. The only thing that is going to change, is our way of life. One thing we are looking at is cruises out of Seattle, so we do not have to fly to Florida. I think we are only seeing the beginning effects of high oil, unfortunately, much more to come.

The whole "airline" thing is a hassle and a pain! If we can't drive (for the time being) we won't go! They jam more and more people into the same space, won't let you bring the things you need for a trip, and are immune to any consequences of leaving you sitting on the runway in a hot plane for hours on end. It's simply not worth it, to me, to fly anymore!

I realize that airlines are trying to make money, but inconveniencing the passengers that they are there to serve is NOT the way to do it!~

I completely agree with you. As a matter of fact, we are doing B2B on Liberty in November and plan to drive to Miami. With only 2 of us the economics of it don't make sense with gas at $4 a gal but for that matter it didn't make sense when get was at $3 a gal. It is just too much of a hastle to deal with the airlines and TSA.

A perfect example was in January, we had a 7 day cruise on Freedom. Flew down rather then drive. Everything went smooth on the way down but the trip back convinced me not to fly to Florida for a cruise. We had transfers from RCL to miami airport and had a 4PM flight. Since customs and immigration went quickly, we were at Miami airport at 9AM for our 4PM flight. Went to the delta counter and asked if there were a lot of empty seats on the flight for late morning and were told yes. I asked about switching the tickets and was informared yes for $50 per ticket i could change them. I politely declined and when it came time to board our flight at 4PM the flight was overbooked. Delta was offering $200 travel vouchers to anyone who would switch. The long and the short of it was Delta wanted to charge me $100 for the 2 of us to switch flights so that they could pay out $400 in flight credits for the later overbooked flight. Makes one wonder why the airlines are having problems making any money at all.

Oh interesting enought, when i arrived at the TSA check point in Miami the agent felt my nail clipper was a safety hazard, the same nail clipper i had flown with on the same key chain for years.

Like you, i have had enough of the airlines and TSA and all the other nonsense.

Archived