Is Princess finally applying those mysterious past passenger discounts?

Toto2Kansas

After the press release abut discounting past passengers a while back, I checked both my future bookings and neither had any price savings no matter if I was or was not logged in to the Princess site.

This morning I looked and and found that all of a sudden, both of our cruises have a discount applied to them. It doesn't show up like it used to as a seperate discount, but the price is lowered once logged in (something it didn't show the past couple of months).

Needless to say, I have an email out to my TA right now and hopefully by next week we will see a lowered fare for both our upcoming cruises.

I hate to do this to the TA's out there, but anyone that did not see any type of discount when logged in for future booking, no early booking discount or past passenger discount, no drop in price after logging in to your Princess account might want to have another look at the Princess website.

All I can figure is it took them a bit of time to get these applied to all the posted cruises. Some are substantial savings of $500, others are $100 pp discount, but with the price of airfare and everything else right now, figured anything was better than no discount at all.

Good luck on a discount to all past passengers.

When I checked the Princess website on Wednesday for our upcoming NE/Canada cruise I noticed the cost of our cruise went down by $150 PP if Past Passenger. I contacted my TA who immediately obtained the lower fare for us from Princess. As Toto said go to the website and check your fares. You may be pleasantly surprised

Yep, already heard back from my TA, and on a holiday Sunday on top of that. She has already dropped our price and sent a new invoice showing the new final payment amount.

It always is good to keep track of that pricing.

It still isn't happening for me. Same price, logged in or not. I can still get a better price logging in as my friend and neighbor, but not for myself. The really odd thing is the one cruise that I was tracking earlier 6/6 dawn, has actually gone up on the Princess site but continues to drop on online TA sites. It is almost a full 1K pp more on the Princess site than the online TA. It is so weird that I would not find it useful for tracking price drops anymore because I continue to see it drop everywhere but there. I've lost my price drop tracking strategy. On the otherhand, this booking at the last minute, at least this year, has really paid off and I will be on the 6/26 sailing of the Dawn. I booked really late and even so, the price has dropped $85 pp on the TA site. It has gone from 2068 to 2489 when logged in on Princess.

I've travelled enough now, that it takes me no time to get a fairly decent airfare and I priceline my hotels. I even got the cabin I wanted. I must be on the "sucker" list.:) I am happy for you Toto and the others who are able to get a drop.

Interesting - there is a difference - we have decided to cancel our Jan Ruby Cruise in favor for a southern caribbean cruise but when a logged in just to check the pricing the difference between a BA balcony logged in and not logged in was $320 difference.

It still isn't happening for me. Same price, logged in or not. I can still get a better price logging in as my friend and neighbor, but not for myself. The really odd thing is the one cruise that I was tracking earlier 6/6 dawn, has actually gone up on the Princess site but continues to drop on online TA sites. It is almost a full 1K pp more on the Princess site than the online TA. .

Pam - once Princess issues flash fares, the Princess site doesn't reflect those fares, you must book through a TA to get those rates. That is why Princess is significantly more.

I think these new promo were supposed to start for next year (summer Europe and beyond I think??). I remember that you had to book by Sept 30th for it to apply to Summer Europe and by Nov or Dec for it to apply for my Christmas sailing. I don't think any rates for this year were affected by this.

When I booked my Hawaii trip, this promo had just been announced and my agent said that the $100 discount (14 day holiday cruise) was already reflected in my rate. Though - this promo is quite confusing - hopefully agents have a better grasp on it now then they did a few weeks ago.

I booked a sailing last week with an online TA...how can I tell if there has been a price drop or when one is done? I just want to be sure I am watching correctly so I can receive a price drop if and when the time comes. The sailing I booked is on Crown Princess for Jan 4 2009.

For my Crown 3/22/09 sailing, the 'logged in' pricing on balconies is now 1248 for any category. However, it was that way a few weeks ago and then that 'deal' was taken off. So I don't know if this is the new special but it's just like the old special.

There's no change that I can see to pricing for mini-suites which is what we have. Was the 'new' past guest pricing not give any discounts for minis or above?

Both of mine are higher than when I booked. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Rob - supposedly these discounts stay with you. So if your qualify for this discount and your cruise goes up, you can still get this discount. Not sure how that works but before final payment, you may want to double check.

Our base cruise fare went down $25 per person for our cabin cat. But, the Fuel Supp went up $28 per person. I hope Princess doesn't say it's pretty much a wash because they're going to charge us the higher fuel supplement. Maybe we'll be lucky. :)

Last night I checked various cruises that I have been watching for the past few weeks and they are all the same. :rolleyes:

All I can figure is that the discounts are creeping in slowly. One of our cruises finally had the discount promised, the other one didn't after checking.

So, just keep looking back and monitoring those prices. You know Princess is usually way behind when they make an announcement instead of waiting until it is completed to tell everyone about it? Sometimes I think they have someone that gets so excited in the PR department that they just have to tell everyone even before it goes into effect across the board. :rolleyes:

This morning I looked and and found that all of a sudden, both of our cruises have a discount applied to them. It doesn't show up like it used to as a seperate discount, but the price is lowered once logged in (something it didn't show the past couple of months).

is there a way to look at the price of a currently booked cruise? Or are you just going in like making a new booking and comparing prices that way??

Our base cruise fare went down $25 per person for our cabin cat. But, the Fuel Supp went up $28 per person. I hope Princess doesn't say it's pretty much a wash because they're going to charge us the higher fuel supplement. Maybe we'll be lucky. :)

We were lucky. $50 back in our pockets. :D

is there a way to look at the price of a currently booked cruise? Or are you just going in like making a new booking and comparing prices that way??

I keep track of the pricing on the Princess website as it stood when I booked, even though I book with a TA. When the price drops for our category on the Princess website, I contact my TA and they also give me the same savings. Just keep in mind, with a discount travel agent, sometimes they will also adjust their discount because of the price decrease. I normally will not even bother unless the drop is at least $100.

All I can figure is that the discounts are creeping in slowly. One of our cruises finally had the discount promised, the other one didn't after checking.

So, just keep looking back and monitoring those prices. You know Princess is usually way behind when they make an announcement instead of waiting until it is completed to tell everyone about it? Sometimes I think they have someone that gets so excited in the PR department that they just have to tell everyone even before it goes into effect across the board. :rolleyes:

I hear that!! :)

I keep track of the pricing on the Princess website as it stood when I booked, even though I book with a TA. When the price drops for our category on the Princess website, I contact my TA and they also give me the same savings. Just keep in mind, with a discount travel agent, sometimes they will also adjust their discount because of the price decrease. I normally will not even bother unless the drop is at least $100.

A $50 decrease is worth my while for a few minutes on the telephone. Better in our pockets. :D

I go in like I'm making a new booking and make note of the basic cruise fare price.

Archived