Juneau Car Rental

Cruz-On

Yes several times. You need to be independent and have your own plans. Plenty of places to get to and visit. Depends what YOU want to see and do. Only rental company cost and time effective for cruise ship passengers is Rent A Wreck.

Stops to consider, Mendenhall Glacier, Hatchery, Brewery, Glacier Gardens, Chapel on the Lake, St. Theresa Shrine, Douglas Island, etc etc

A car is a very poor choice if you are spending any time downtown. So do your homework and find out where your priority areas are.

Because Juneau is landlocked, it is impossible to get lost when driving around and it is well worth it to rent a car. Budget also has a rental office in Juneau and one can do the glacier, St. Theresa and everything in between on your own time. You can go from one end to the other and see some beautiful areas. Much better than being herded around with a large group.

Bitzy Cole

Because Juneau is landlocked, it is impossible to get lost when driving around and it is well worth it to rent a car. Budget also has a rental office in Juneau and one can do the glacier, St. Theresa and everything in between on your own time. You can go from one end to the other and see some beautiful areas. Much better than being herded around with a large group.

Bitzy Cole

BUT Budget is at the airport and they do NOT shuttle. Add at least $40 to your rental cost for cabs, or get lucky and make the airport city bus without waiting long, but likely you will be waiting at bus stops, adding time for the transit.

Anyone ever rented a car in Juneau? Was it worth the rental and what did you do?

We are renting from Rent-A-Wreck in Juneau next week, they are picking us up at the port when our ship arrives. We are driving to the glacier to hike and then to the brewery. Day rental is $57.50 plus tax, gas and an extra $15.00 for late dropoff fee. Alot cheaper than many excursions and we have our freedom to come and go as we please.

Thanks for the input I already have my rent a wreck reservations!!! Thanks a lot for the ideas....

They will highlight a map for you at the rent-a-wreck office and tell you how to get to the many sights you may want to see. One of our favorite places is Amalga Harbor--a picturesque little harbor that isn't marked from the highway.

We are renting from Rent-A-Wreck in Juneau next week, they are picking us up at the port when our ship arrives. We are driving to the glacier to hike and then to the brewery. Day rental is $57.50 plus tax, gas and an extra $15.00 for late dropoff fee. Alot cheaper than many excursions and we have our freedom to come and go as we please.

The Rent-A-Wreck website shows they close at 6:00 pm. Can you drop the car after 6:00 and pay the $15 late drop off fee? Is there a key drop? Can you walk from the Rent-A-Wreck dropoff back to the ship?

We are interested in going to a salmon hatchery and a few other places where I think a car would be so much easier.

Thanks for the info.

The Rent-A-Wreck website shows they close at 6:00 pm. Can you drop the car after 6:00 and pay the $15 late drop off fee? Is there a key drop? Can you walk from the Rent-A-Wreck dropoff back to the ship?

We are interested in going to a salmon hatchery and a few other places where I think a car would be so much easier.

Thanks for the info.

Yes.

just got back from juneau this am. i rented a car from budget, drove to a neurologist and to bartlett hospital to have a mri. these experiences will not be listed in your tourguide.

i was working out of the airport, cheapest was $57/day.

I'd appreciate hearing from previous Rent-a-Wreck renters about how long it took to be picked up and taken the the rental office/lot; and how long it took to process paperwork and hit the road. We're trying to figure out some timing issues for our day in Juneau.

Thanks!

To SandraLee: Just wanted to clarify. The late drop off means you leave the car at a downtown lot, rather than driving back to their offices. So you could have the car nearly as late as your sailing, as well as bring any purchases right to your dock. It's very handy.

Thanks. That will be nice in order to drop the car and walk back to the ship.

I would still be interested in hearing for others that have recently rented from Rent-A-Wreck and if the experience was good.

I would still be interested in hearing for others that have recently rented from Rent-A-Wreck and if the experience was good.

I wouldn't worry about them. I've been reading these boards regularly for about a year and have never seen a complaint. I've used them myself when I need a larger vehicle than my own car for showing people around. The worse thing I can say about my latest rental was that someone had left a 'baseball card' of a buxom young woman in the back of the van. :eek:

I'd appreciate hearing from previous Rent-a-Wreck renters about how long it took to be picked up and taken the the rental office/lot; and how long it took to process paperwork and hit the road. We're trying to figure out some timing issues for our day in Juneau.

Being local, I didn't have to do the the picking up part, but my understanding is, you call them when you're ashore. It will take them about 20 minutes to get downtown, then obviously 20 minutes back and then it will depend on the number of people in line. The paperwork is next to nothing. If things go smoothly, about an hour?

Thanks!

It took them about 30min to come up to pick us up. It wasn't too bad. You may want to call ahead if you don't want to wait. The paperwork was very straightforward. They even offer us a van for the price of Sedan since they figure our original reservation of sedan for 6 will be very uncomfortable. Great service, car runs great. I would highly recommend them.

We just returned from renting from Rent a Wreck in Juneau. We called their office as we were docking. They put us on their list and told us to call again when we were able to get off the ship. About 30 minutes later when the gangway was in place, we called and they told us where to meet them. When we walked down to the location, they were already there and waiting on us. From the time they picked us up until the time we were in our rental was 30 minutes. The driver told us along the way of places to go and things to see. We went to Mendenhall Glacier. We hiked to the waterfall. It was AWESOME! We spent about three hours there. I had left home without one of my prescriptions, so we made a stop at Wal-Mart. We saw the hatchery and Glacier Gardens. We ate at Thane Ore and followed the AARP magazine suggestion and went to see the big waterfall that is visible when sailing into port. Weather was a warm 71 degrees and it was an awesome day! We elected to leave the rental in the parking garage downtown. Free parking after 6 PM and it cost us an extra $15 from the rental company to do this. We shopped a little on our way back from the parking garage, caught the shuttle at the Mt. Roberts Tram downtown that took us back to our ship on the AJ Dock. It couldn't have been easier and it was a most enjoyable day. This was our 3rd trip to Juneau, so this gave us the freedom we wanted to see and do things we had not yet done on other trips. Previously we whale watched, zip lined, and dog sledded. If you are interested, here is a link to video about the waterfall at Mendenhall.

Can you explain the late drop off? Is there a key drop or do you leave the key in the car? :confused:

Per Rent-A-Wreck instructions, you lock the key in the car above the sun visor.

Does Rent-a-wreck have a website to allow us to make a reservation online? or we need to call their office?

Their website only allows you to inquire about a car. I had much better luck calling their office. Phone numbers are 1-888-843-4111 and 907-789-4111.

Office hours are 6AM-6PM.

Archived