Juneau Car Rental

Cruz-On

We rented from them last year. It worked out great. For the cost of the car rental we were able to see Mendenhall, salmon hatchery, Douglas island, and even panned for gold.

We enjoyed not being tied to a schedule and in the long run found it much cheaper. For example, when we went to the mining museum it was $9. for panning supplies. Much cheaper than what the cruiseline was charging ($60+). The real funny part was we were able to see a bus load of cruise passengers pan for gold. We were all at the same stream. The only difference, I paid a heck of alot less than they did.

We also were able to just drive around. I love to explore towns and see where the locals live. To get off the beaten path so to speak. We drove up to some type of ski resort area on Douglas Island. It was beautiful and very much out of the way.

The return was ok. The only problem we had was our ship was docked at the last dock (not sure what it is called). So it was quite a hike from the Downtown parking lot to the ship. My DH was very nice and dropped My DD and I off at the ship and parked the car and walked back. (We had stopped at the local grocery store for Cokes and what not) Other than that it was a great experience. Have a great time and enjoy!

Just off the Pearl!! We rented from rent a wreck! They picked us up from the pier which was wonderful. The owner picked us up and told showed us how to get to several placed on the way. They also gave us a map and mapped out all the highlights. They close at 6pm so we dropped off the car downtown in the library parking lot first floor which was showed to us on the way. Just don't park anywhere that states libary. Make sure you check out Walmart on Glacier hwy. They had all the exact souveniers for much cheaper pluse you can pick up coke and snacks. Also the Walmart is not crowed which was a nice surpris compared to the one here in Orlando!

It was raining on our day in Juneau but we were still able to check out the a few sights. Really enjoyed having a car int he rain and able to go when and where you want without bieng herded around.

Oh dropoff, you leave he keys under the sun visor, lock the car and they will pick the cars up at 8pm. Oh make sure you check out Tracy king crabs next to the library garage they were YUMMY!!!

Since we are in port such a short time, I am thinking it makes sense to rent a car in order to get to & from Mendenhall in a time frame that will allow for a hike vs. doing the $7 shuttle.

Is there car parking at the glacier? Is there a closing time? I recall that the last shuttle departs in the 6pm range.

Cruz-on, I noticed you were on the Pearl and your tips were very useful. Did you, or any other CCer's on a similar Juneau schedule, successfully see Mendenhall via rental car?

Thanks!

Since we are in port such a short time, I am thinking it makes sense to rent a car in order to get to & from Mendenhall in a time frame that will allow for a hike vs. doing the $7 shuttle.

Is there car parking at the glacier? Is there a closing time? I recall that the last shuttle departs in the 6pm range.

Cruz-on, I noticed you were on the Pearl and your tips were very useful. Did you, or any other CCer's on a similar Juneau schedule, successfully see Mendenhall via rental car?

Thanks!

Yes there is a big public parking lot, right outside the Visitor Center. The Visitor Center does close early, but you can wander the grounds. http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

Most tourists without a car cannot view the glacier from the west side, so I'd recommend taking advantage of the car for this option. Ask the RAW folks to show you where Montana Creek Road is on the map. There's also a hike on that side, which I prefer over the East Glacier trail.

Thanks!

Yes, we drove up to Mendenhall with a rental car. we then continue to drive to Chapel by the lake, and shrine of Theressa to watch the Salmon run.

Thanks!

Like Budget Queen yes, Plenty of parking and you can wander around yourself. They have a big shelter you can walk to and take pictures as well as a path down by the visitation center you can walk. I hope it is not raining when you go like it was when we were there. I really enjoyed the car as we were able to hit things and push on instead of waiting on the bus of people.

We were very pleased with our rental car experience with Rent-a-Wreck. We called from the ship and they picked us up there within a short time. We went back to the office for the paperwork and then set out on our own. There was a lot of traffic downtown (7 ships in port) so we decided to stay away from there. We went to Mendenhall first and got there before the huge crush a people. There is plenty of parking if you arrive early. I don't know about later though. We spent quite a while there then headed out to the Shrine. Unfortunately, it began to rain -HARD - on our way there and didn't stop. Since we had a 92yo with us, we didn't walk out to the shrine in the pouring rain. That was a disappointment to us. The rain didn't let up so we left there and headed back toward town. We stopped at a local pizza place (Bullwinkle's) and had some great pizza. We rode through the University and around the area for a while and then returned the car after filling the tank with gas. We were quite surprised that it took $20 to fill it up. We mentioned it to the person at RAW and she checked the mileage (50 miles driven). She gave us $10 back because the mileage and the amount of gas for the fill up didn't make sense. I was very impressed with that. We didn't have to wait for them to take us back to the ship. They took us right away.

Evergreen Ford still rents cars AND has a shuttle service to the dock. Just got off the phone with them. Have rented from them 3 times previously, last time however was 3 years ago. (my last trip to AK :( ) Had great service from them each time. Here's their phone number. 907-789-9300

Archived