Male Only Flights?

BEAV

Somehow I don't think this would "fly" in this day & age. It's hard enough to believe flights like this even existed in our lifetimes! But they did back in the 40's and 50's....

T2251-150dpi.jpeg

Hard to believe that Blacks had to sit in the back of the bus and use different restrooms and water fountains' date=' but hey did.

Sexism and racism in America. Did it ever really do away?[/quote']

I'll take the cocktails & steak dinner. But the rest (cigars, pipes and discrimination) has to go!

I assume they (flight attendants) were all female.

Yes' date=' two way [i']simultaneous[/i] discrimination. Woman can't take the flight, and men can't apply to be flight attendants.

I'll take the cocktails & steak dinner. But the rest (cigars, pipes and discrimination) has to go!

They could have kept the short skirts (hot pants on some airlines)! :)

Also back then, there was age and weight restrictions on stewardesses* too.

* "stewardess" used deliberately here.

Ron, don't know about your's but my father and grand-father would do no grabbing and it would have been Mam, not honey.

While I doubt mine would do such a thing either, the reality is it may have happened.

Remember the old movies and tv shows where the boss would chase his secretary around the desk all day? It was just accepted. Who ever heard of sexual harassment back then or even complained?

I am willing to bet the flight attendants had a choice, tolerate it or find a new job.

UNITED operated "Men only" executive service between 1953 and 1970, between Chicago and New York as well as San Francisco and Los Angeles.

The only women allowed were flight attendants. Flight operated by DC6/DC6B Mainliner for about 10500 segments with load factor sitting average of 80-90%.

Schedules in June 1955 is the following:

UA601 LGA1700-1915CHI DC6B

UA600 CHI1700-2055LGA DC6B

UA665 LAX1700-1835SFO DC6B

UA666 SFO1700-1840LAX DC6

These service operates Daily except Saturday.

Courtesy of Airline Route News

WOW.

Isn't it funny how times have changed? Back in the day, there were no feminine activist watchdog groups. Women did as they were told back then and had a place to be at a certain time. For that though, I am glad things have changed.

But just think ~ Nowadays, the first glance at such an ad would make us all think the ad was referring to a flight for gay men!

My aunt was one of the first Braniff stews in the late 30's through the 40's. Not only did you have to look great, you had to be a licensed nurse. There wasn't a lot of butt grabbing back then. She stated it was VERY business like. You also could not be married and still fly until about 1948. Average tenure was 18 months. My aunt repeatedly stated that the easiest way to find a rich husband was be an airline stew. She found hers in 1947. A Chevron vice-president.

But she states things REALLY changed in the early 60's (by that time, she was a stew trainer). The uniforms became designer, shorter and tighter, lots and lots of military flights and the butt grabbing started. Being a stew was now a JOB, not a way to find a rich husband. And no nursing required.

I sooo wanted to be a stew. Applied to PSA and got rejected (vision and weight-too skinny). I really wanted to wear those hot pants. I applied to Eastern and got accepted. But by that time I was in law school and even though the pull was very strong, I figured I could take my lawyer's wages and pay for flights. Even though I don't practice law and moved into corporate endeavors, I have been doing exactly that for the last 36 years.

there were no feminine activist watchdog groups. Women did as they were told back then and had a place to be at a certain time.

And your point??.....Sounds good..... :D (ducking for cover as I run for the exit)

DISCLAIMER: For those of you without a sense of humor, above was all in fun.

Archived