New Genesis Class Ship Name - Oasis?

I was very surprised to see RCCL name the new Genesis Class ship Oasis of the Seas. In my humble opinon the name Oasis of the Seas makes no sense and is a dumb idea. I was always taught that you find an Oasis in a desert and not on an ocean or on the seas! What am I missing here?

As a loyal long-time RCCL customer, I would have preferred to see RCCL re-use some of the names from the ships that people loved and made the company what it is today. Forget about that "of the Seas" nonsense...RCCL can name the ships whatever they want to name them and there is no rule that says the name must include of the Seas!

Therefore, I would ask the management of RCCL why none of the new builds are being named Nordic Prince, Song of Norway, Song of America, Nordic Empress etc....all names that loyal RCCL customers would recognize. Holland American follows this practice so why not RCCL???

:confused:

RCI is not Holland America. I personally don't mind the names Oasis and Allure, they are not the best, but certainly not the worst.

You mentioned recognizing RCI ships, well 'of the Seas' does that. When you see 'of the Seas' at the end of a name, then you know it is a RCI ship.

Here is an article on why they chose those names: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=50150058.blog

"Of the Seas" is a nice touch that I would rather them stay with...and while Oasis isnt necassarily the name I would have chosen I think it will grow on be. The name of the ship certainly wont have any impact on me sailing abord her or not..but Oasis will do...

Are you kidding? Who cares about the name of the new ship. I really could care less what they named the ship and to actually start a thread where it is clear you are a bit upset about it is a little strange. I don't get it, what difference does it make to you. Are you even planning a cruise on the new ship?

I was very surprised to see RCCL name the new Genesis Class ship Oasis of the Seas. In my humble opinon the name Oasis of the Seas makes no sense and is a dumb idea. I was always taught that you find an Oasis in a desert and not on an ocean or on the seas! What am I missing here?

I thought the same thing when I heard it...Oasis??...but maybe they mean it in the opposite sense, like it is an oasis of land in the middle of the sea. Either way, I agree it's a dumb name.

Are you kidding? Who cares about the name of the new ship. I really could care less what they named the ship and to actually start a thread where it is clear you are a bit upset about it is a little strange. I don't get it, what difference does it make to you. Are you even planning a cruise on the new ship?

And what difference does it make to YOU if the thread is started? If you're not interested, then move on. I've seen threads on these boards about all kinds of crazy things...and the name of a new ship is a perfectly valid thing to post about.

As far as Oasis and Allure are concerned, to me, they sound more like Carnival names than RCCL names.

Thank you Micmacmissy.

I think the point to me appears to be that RCCL is so wrapped up in the present and the future that they are forgetting about their past and their roots and how they got to where they are today...too bad really!

Have a nice day!

Yes I know people start all kinds of threads on here but I just felt the OP was upset by this rather than just making a comment. Regardless, there are many definitions of Oasis, one being :

haven: a shelter serving as a place of safety or sanctuary

So if that's the case, then I think it's very appropriately named

Yes I know people start all kinds of threads on here but I just felt the OP was upset by this rather than just making a comment. Regardless, there are many definitions of Oasis, one being :

haven: a shelter serving as a place of safety or sanctuary

So if that's the case, then I think it's very appropriately named

I respectfully disagree.

What does "safety" and "sanctuary" have to do with a cruise vacation?

Do we take cruise vacations to be safe and secure?

I don't think so.

I would not be surprised if RCCL ultimately changes the names of the Genesis vessels. Actually, I hope they do.

As a loyal long-time RCCL customer, I would have preferred to see RCCL re-use some of the names from the ships that people loved and made the company what it is today. Forget about that "of the Seas" nonsense...RCCL can name the ships whatever they want to name them and there is no rule that says the name must include of the Seas!

Therefore, I would ask the management of RCCL why none of the new builds are being named Nordic Prince, Song of Norway, Song of America, Nordic Empress etc....all names that loyal RCCL customers would recognize. Holland American follows this practice so why not RCCL???

:confused:

Holland America ships absolutely have names that follow the same theme. All HAL's ships end in the word "Dam". It just so happens that the name just happen to be very old names. But look at the "Eurodam" that's not a name that has been used before by HAL.

Why?

Why not? Or must our tastes and opinions always conform to some arbiter? "De gustibus".:) Does anyone really intend to sail on or refuse to sail on this ship solely because they don't like the name?:rolleyes:

Why not? Or must our tastes and opinions always conform to some arbiter? "De gustibus".:) Does anyone really intend to sail on or refuse to sail on this ship solely because they don't like the name?:rolleyes:

C'mon, Bill, you know that this is an oppurtunity to make fun of the decision process at a private company. RCI should only allow names picked by select CC members. Because those select members really know the history and the future of RCI, not a bunch of dumb suits sitting in some office in Miami. What do those people know about anything?:D Now I hope you understand how silly your question is. I mean, for me personally, I only book RCI because I love Iggy Pop. Got it in my ear, man!:D

jc

I agree about Iggy Pop and the RCCL theme song Lust for Life...I downloaded it and made it my ringtone on my cell phone! I hope they never get rid if Iggy and his song!:cool:

I do not cruise a ship because of its name. With that being said, I wish they would have named her Genesis, for me that was the perfect name for her. ;)

Couldn't have said it better. At this point, the ship's name at our house is "Gen...uh, Oasis". In a couple more days, it might be just plain Oasis. I'm trying.

I heard the first installment of the Genesis Class was to be named Nordic Prince of the Seas and the second Sun Viking of the Seas...there may be a third called Song of the Seas, but that is just pure speculation.

Not to only focus on RCCL even though this is a RCCL thread, I also feel than NCL should be doing something to put Norway back in the NCL fleet either by naming one of their new F3 ships Norway 2 or possibly building a ship that resembles the beloved old "Blue Lady" similar to what Disney did in building the Disney Fleet.

Archived