All I want is.....

cruise kitty

All I want is a new (er) ship that makes California departures. It seems that every cruise line (x included) only use their older ships with almost no balconies for their California (LA, SD ) departures. It's like Los Angeles and San Diego is where old ships go to die. Why? Why? Why can't I get a decent ship (don't care where it goes) for a S. California departure? Anyone feel the same?

Well, sort of....I want more SAN FRANCISCO departures! And I'm not even fussy as to where we go!:D Circle the Farralon Islands 20 times for all I care. If we could just get a decent cruise terminal, I'd even sail on your rejects from LA/San Diego!

Well, we can both dream, can't we?

Andrew

All I want is a new (er) ship that makes California departures. It seems that every cruise line (x included) only use their older ships with almost no balconies for their California (LA, SD ) departures. It's like Los Angeles and San Diego is where old ships go to die. Why? Why? Why can't I get a decent ship (don't care where it goes) for a S. California departure? Anyone feel the same?

Carnival is having their NEWEST ship, the Splendor, do Mexican Riviera cruises out of L.A. next year. I intend to give her a try...

Andrew, I live in OC and I would be more than willing to drive up to SF for a decent ship, I don't need/want Alaska, I just want a beautiful ship and lots of martini's, & massages. I'd even do the "Mexican Riviera" if I could get on a decent ship. Heck, they could do a huge figure eight from Catalina to Golden Gate Bridge for all I care. Glad to know someone else feels the same.

Mariner is beautiful, and we're really sad to see her leave the East Coast. You'll have to jump over to RCCI, but she certainly isn't an old, cast-off ship.

I too have been waiting on some newer ships out here and when I heard the Mariner was coming to LA I booked it since I have been wanting to try RCI without going on those outdated hulks that sail from LA now....

It seems that whichever coast the cruise line is headquartered on gets the newer ships...West coast HQ Princess and HAL..everyone else Florida..

I am hoping that either Solstice class 3 or 4 gets over here and I too cruise for the ship not the ports so circling the Faralon islands with a quick 2 hour midnight stop in Ensenada works for me!:D

Well, sort of....I want more SAN FRANCISCO departures! And I'm not even fussy as to where we go!:D Circle the Farralon Islands 20 times for all I care. If we could just get a decent cruise terminal, I'd even sail on your rejects from LA/San Diego!

Andrew

ps - your post made me laugh. I will be with you on the Farallon Island tour :)

Andrew, I live in OC and I would be more than willing to drive up to SF for a decent ship, I don't need/want Alaska, I just want a beautiful ship and lots of martini's, & massages. I'd even do the "Mexican Riviera" if I could get on a decent ship. Heck, they could do a huge figure eight from Catalina to Golden Gate Bridge for all I care. Glad to know someone else feels the same.

Can't you see the marketing campaign for the figure 8 cruises??!

I'm in! I would bring a fair number of pals too . . . =X=, are you listening?!

And if they tossed in more real wine seminars with winemakers from the Golden State - that would make me happy. Not anyone who makes white zin either - Wine Spectator or at least Food & Wine quallity.

Speaking of martinis . .. (I swear someone mentioned them) have you tried Hangar One vodka? Made right here. And they are also made from grapes - well, sort of. I was at a gallery recently and they had a tasting - just chilled infused vodka - would never have imagined I would have enjoyed. But I ddi! Yum.

I think this could be a seminar at sea - sailing from the golden gates :)

Andrew

I second that! Why did the Infinity stop doing the Mexican Riviera? We had a ball on her down there in 2006.

Andrew

ME TOO !!! more from SF ,

i wonder why they dont do the long hawaii cruises from SF like they do from la and san diego ? i wish i wish !!!!!!!

And if they tossed in more real wine seminars with winemakers from the Golden State - that would make me happy. Not anyone who makes white zin either - Wine Spectator or at least Food & Wine quallity.

I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat!

Fellow Californian here...tried Monarch, ick. Would love to see a beautiful X ship out of LA. Add that wine seminar and I'll be smiling!

I agree 100%. We have cruised to Alaska and Mexico on both Celebrity and Princess 6 times in the past few years. Went on the Dawn twice, plus the Pacific, Sapphire, and Mercury. Booked on the Star to Mexico this October. We would do more cruises out of San Francisco if they would put some newer ships on the runs. May even consider doing some out of San Diego, which is easy to fly into if they would add some newer ships. Cruiselines don't realized how much business they might get if they upgaded the ships they offer. Especially like ones that do a round trip, so we don't have any air to deal with, suspect other folks would like this too. :)

Andrew

I don't care where we go, or on what ship (any that are already on the West Coast are fine). I don't care if we board out of a tent in SF even! I doubt we are going to see any new cruise terminal in SF as there is not enough of a demand for cruises out of here. A cruise really has to be 10 days or longer to get anywhere most of the public wants to go, and most of the public want a port rather than a sea day, and can only do a 7 day cruise because of vacation restrictions. Don't hold your breath for that new terminal.

I also think that cruise lines are trying to cut down on how many sea days they have as it costs more $$$ for fuel than just hanging out at a port for a day. That means another strike against SF sailings and also for Hawaii runs off the West Coast.

I DO dream of having more cruises out of SF, and Hawaii RT sailings too! I had fun on the Infinity down to Mexico in 2006 also.

David

I'm with you - well all of you.

Besides, who really needs a pretty cruise terminal? That's for otherwise ugly ports. And sissys. When you've got sea lions, the golden gate, amazing wine and chocolate . . . who would remember the cruise terminal anyway? :) I must say, we sailed from San Fran once and it was AMAZING. Sailing under the Golden Gates and experiencing the scenery was awesome. I don't think I am too biased :)

Bring on the San Fran cruises!

I wonder why they dont do the long hawaii cruises from SF like they do from la and san diego?

My guess is that there is not enough passenger base out of SF, like there is in Southern California. I think they have a harder time filling up the ships here. Also, since they would have to stop in a foreign port, like Ensenada, before coming back, it would add another sea day to the itinerary. It's cheaper to do it out of Southern CA. It's a mute point now anyway since both RCI and X are cutting back/pulling out of the Hawaii market it seems :( . Just my opinion...

As others mentioned, Carnival Splendor will be there next year (March 29, 2009). Once Splendor 'rounds the horn' and visits South America's West coast, she'll make her permanent home in Long Beach. It was specifically keyed for the West Coast crowd. Spa time! We usually cruise the Caribbean, but this ship may pull us to the Riviera once in a while.

7 day itinerary:

map_PR7DMR.jpg

1 - Los Angeles (Long Beach), CA

2 – at Sea

3 – at Sea

4 – Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

5 – Mazatlan, Mexico

6 – Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

7 – at Sea

8 – Los Angeles (long Beach), CA

I can't believe it, but it looks like I may make a jump to Carnival, the splendor looks great, and has those new spa cabins, as long as the price is good, I will check it out. And regarding a west coast X cruise to nowhere can you imagine sailing under the GG bridge with a glass of Silver Oak in your hand? Wow, I guess we can dream...

Archived