Let's Pick a Date.....

sail7seas

I like RevNeal's and Copper10-8's dates, but I'll put my vote in for the day afer there's a female pope in The Vatican.:D

I was going for the 12th of Never, myself. But I'll take your date, too. :D

I do know that if HAL eliminates formal nights I won't be sailing them any longer. There are still some cruiselines out there that will provide a traditional, refined experience.

<sigh>

I tried to offer a little humor by suggesting 110 years from now, but some people apparently didn't get it.

Seriously, now ... I don't think HAL will actually do away with Formal Nights in the foreseeable future. HAL loves their moniker of "A Tradition of Excellence" too much to dump that much tradition in favor of an all-casual, all-the-time environment; particularly so given their marketing image of elegance which just oozes through their advertising. Rather, I think that Rita is more or less correct in that Formal Nights will simply be downgraded to optional, with more permissive language being used leaning toward Smart Casual as the evening standard. I see them eventually re-phrasing their dress code to something kind of like this:

"During the evening hours we invite our guests to enjoy a Smart Casual environment, with slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Please, no T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts in the main dining room or public lounges during the evening hours. Twice a week we'll dress up the ship for an elegantly formal evening, and our guests are welcome to join the festivities. Men usually wear jacket and tie, and women are often in dresses or slacks and embellished tops. Gentlemen are, of course, always welcome to wear a tuxedo or suit, but formal attire is not required."

Essentially, a codification of what we're already seeing.

Essentially, a codification of what we're already seeing.

If only that were what we were already seeing. :rolleyes: Take a good look around on a smart casual night and much of what you see is far, far below that level.

You'll see "sloppy", "slobby", "slovenly", "unkempt" in great abundance mixed in with the "smart casual". :(

If only that were what we were already seeing. :rolleyes: Take a good look around on a smart casual night and much of what you see is far, far below that level.

You'll see "sloppy", "slobby", "slovenly", "unkempt" in great abundance mixed in with the "smart casual". :(

Yes, we do see some of that, too. Remember my cruise on the Volendam in 2007? That was what you describe. But that was somewhat abnormal. Normal is something between that and what we saw on the Rotterdam this Jan/Feb. Most people on that cruise played along very well and dressed appropriately MOST of the time. Yes, there were some "sloppy", "slobby", "slovenly", "unkempt" examples even on that cruise, but they were a extreme minority.

"Formal Optional" is reason enough for us to pry ourselves into a tux and gown. Perhaps those of us who really enjoy dressing up can tip the scales by simply continuing to do it. Truth is, we'll find our own formal night if there is no official one. And if people gawk, it's their problem - not ours. :)

Yes, *sigh* you do see a lot of that, don't you?

I remember a thread a while back where a guy posted pictures of pax wearing really sloppy-looking sweat shorts & t shirts on formal night, and he got heavily flamed for posting the pictures and being so "judgemental" :rolleyes: Maybe the concept of formality really is passe...:(

Sail,

I kinda wish that you hadn't brought this up as our next cruise isn't until April of 2009. We love our formal nights and the decision to charge for extra luggage hadn't thrown us because we value the atmosphere of formal nights. Dh is in the process of choosing a new white dinner jacket too, and he really has no other occasion to wear one but on HAL cruises.

I had posted several years ago about the prospect of the cruise lines doing away with formal nights due to more stringent airline regs and everyone poo-pooed the idea. I'm really sorry that it has become a distinct possibility. I've always accused my DH of being a "Luddite", well guess in this area I'm a bit of one myself.

GN

Yes, *sigh* you do see a lot of that, don't you?

I remember a thread a while back where a guy posted pictures of pax wearing really sloppy-looking sweat shorts & t shirts on formal night, and he got heavily flamed for posting the pictures and being so "judgemental" :rolleyes: Maybe the concept of formality really is passe...:(

Quick, put that can opener away before it's too late and the worms come out

grannynurse....... Tell DH to get his white jacket and enjoy it. We chose to get DH's and he'll wear it when and where and if he wants. I think he looks great in it and IMO :) that's reason enough for him to wear it. Doesn't need any other reason. ;)

I don't know, Judy ... there IS the so-called "topless deck."

Greg+

a.k.a. "The Bombastic Reverend"

Don't even go there!!! :D

Literally or figuratively. :) :D

Gee ... wonder who that might have been? ;)

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Quick, put that can opener away before it's too late and the worms come out[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Can Openers are not needed ... the can's come with pull-tops now:

[IMG]http://www.revneal.org/Resources/canworms.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='shotei']Gee Rev, you're probably more up on the details than I am, but isn't that the date that Hell freezes over?[/QUOTE]

Oh, silly me! How did I get those dates switched around? ;)

[quote name='RevNeal']Yes, we do see some of that, too. Remember my cruise on the [I]Volendam[/I] in 2007? That was what you describe. But that was somewhat abnormal. Normal is something between that and what we saw on the Rotterdam this Jan/Feb. Most people on that cruise played along very well and dressed appropriately MOST of the time. Yes, there were some "sloppy", "slobby", "slovenly", "unkempt" examples even on that cruise, but they were a extreme minority.[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]It's as if the dress code were a limbo bar---how low can you go. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Every time HAL lowers the standard there are people who work at it to go even lower. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Currently there's formal nights, and some people head out for the evening in daytime casual; on smart casual nights they aren't as "dressed up". :rolleyes: If HAL were to give up the ghost and eliminate formal nights and declare every night to be smart casual, some would see that as the go-ahead to reduce their personal dress from daytime casual to the "sloppy" etc mentioned before. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]It would be as an avalanche that couldn't be stopped. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Ruth, I totally agree with that concept. Although, on our Noordam cruise this winter, I didn't see anyone dressed like the pictures that were posted on these boards, I do feel that if the dress code is watered down, people will just wear shorts, jeans, and t shirts for dinner and that will be that. Probably, some people define smart casual in this way. Personally, I feel that the watering down of the dress code will take away from the cruising experience that makes Holland America so traditional and elegant.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]It's as if the dress code were a limbo bar---how low can you go. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]Every time HAL lowers the standard there are people who work at it to go even lower. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Currently there's formal nights, and some people head out for the evening in daytime casual; on smart casual nights they aren't as "dressed up". :rolleyes: If HAL were to give up the ghost and eliminate formal nights and declare every night to be smart casual, some would see that as the go-ahead to reduce their personal dress from daytime casual to the "sloppy" etc mentioned before. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]It would be as an avalanche that couldn't be stopped. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I understand and agree with you, Ruth ... do away with the Formal Nights altogether and the press will be on for the lowest common denominator in terms of dress. It's the "Dress Code Domino Effect."

If people choose to get "all gussied up" every night of a cruise, or if they choose to simply wear smart casual clothes every evening, what difference does it really make? Are most people going on a cruise to enjoy the adventure of visiting new parts of the world, meeting new friends, enjoying the experience of living in luxury on a ship with great service, or are they going to look at what others choose to wear?

[B]We all go on our cruises for different reasons and we can have multiple reasons at the same time. :)

For some, dressing is intergral part of their cruise. They enjoy getting dolled up and nothing wrong with it and not for me to criticize. I still do it but am less enthusiastic in my promotion of it. But I definitely support those who wish to continue with formal nights.[/B]

[quote name='jtl513']Length+width+height can't exceed 62" right now.

jtl - I guess you didn't pick up on my attempt at humor;). I understand the dimension limits. I was trying to say you can only fit so much into that bag and stay under 50 lbs.

At the end of our last trip to the Pacific Northwest we were flying out of Seattle and packed quickly the night before and without any attempt to judge the weight of our two checked bags. Checking in at the airport, our larger bag weighed 61 pounds:eek:, and the smaller one weighed about 42 pounds. So there we were at the counter, with a line behind us, moving items from the big bag to the smaller bag, putting a few items into our carry-ons. This was not a great way to end a wonderful trip.

While cruising can be a very relaxing and enjoyable way to vacation, flying is becoming more and more unpleasant. Makes cruising out of ports within driving distance of home even more enticing.

Virginia

Archived