Driving to port since airfare is getting more expensive... Would You?

Cookie2boys

Just wondering who has or who is thinking about driving to a cruise port terminal. With airfare prices rising, I'm seriously thinking about driving vs flying. Right now, it will cost an average of $1400 to fly 4 from Norfolk to Orlando. With driving, I just don't want us to be tired out the day before the cruise. It will be a 12 hour drive and I'm really weighing pros and cons.

What is the longest distance you have driven to get to a cruise terminal?

Don't forget, airfares are going up to cover the higher fuel costs hitting the airlines.

As to driving, we take more exotic cruises that eliminate this as a choice. Our last two departed from Venice and Buenos Aires. Our next two from Vancouver and Melbourne, Australia.

Just wondering who has or who is thinking about driving to a cruise port terminal. With airfare prices rising, I'm seriously thinking about driving vs flying. Right now, it will cost an average of $1400 to fly 4 from Norfolk to Orlando. With driving, I just don't want us to be tired out the day before the cruise. It will be a 12 hour drive and I'm really weighing pros and cons.

Never driven, it wasn't possible. But in your case, for that price difference, I'd do it in a minute. Even with high gas prices, if you drive in a day early, find a hotel with a stay and park (where you could leave your car for free during the cruise), you'd probably be ahead close to $1000.00.

I have a 12 hour drive from my home to the port in FLL. In all my cruises out of FLL I have driven, even though 4 have been by myself and actually more expensive than flying. The reasons

1 - I control the time, and have to deal with only MY schedule. I do not have to deal with the airline canceling a flight or delaying it for any reason.

2- If something does go wrong, I control what happens. Either I repair my van or find another way to get to FLL. But it is my choice.

3 - On the way south, I drive about 9 hours then get a room. I have a short drive the morning of embarkation, so I have all the advantages of the day early arrival.

4 - on the way north, in leaving the ship in the early morning, I am close enough to home after driving 9 hours that the final 3 isn't bad (or enough to pay for a hotel room). I am usually home by 10 or 11 in the evening.

Hope this helps

Rich

I have been thinking about it, pretty long way for me, around 1300 miles. I know I'm crazy for even thinking about it. I'm from central IL. If I figured right, gas for both ways $650-$700. One night stay in Georgia, then drive down the rest the next day.

richwmn - question for ya, if you ever cruised out of Miami before - do you take I-75S to the florida turnpike to Miami - or is there anyway to hop on to I-95S all the way to Miami and miss the tolls- or is it longer around that way? Thanks in advance.

Really been thinking about it lately......

The math is easy, 800 miles / 25 mpg (highway driving) = 32 gallons of gas x $4.00 per gallon = $128 for gas each way vs $1400 for flying.

Personally I would rent a car each way because if your personal car breaks down on the way, you might not make the cruise ship. At least with a rental car, they would bring you another one should it break down. Plus you dont have to add 1600 miles to your car.

We are driving to Norfolk from Ohio July 24 to take the Grandeur 9 nite eastern, our first time driving to port & already I feel more at ease & excited about the cruise. I am very stressed by the whole airport ordeal, especially with recent baggage issues. Just as Rich mentioned, YOU are in control of your vacation. Looking forward to having most of the travel done the day before...that first day can be soooo tiring when you have to start your day in the middle of the night to get to the airport! Hope it works out!!

I have been thinking about it, pretty long way for me, around 1300 miles. I know I'm crazy for even thinking about it. I'm from central IL. If I figured right, gas for both ways $650-$700. One night stay in Georgia, then drive down the rest the next day.

richwmn - question for ya, if you ever cruised out of Miami before - do you take I-75S to the florida turnpike to Miami - or is there anyway to hop on to I-95S all the way to Miami and miss the tolls- or is it longer around that way? Thanks in advance.

Really been thinking about it lately......

Never cruised out of Miami, but was stationed there for two years and there is not much difference between FLL and MIA. There are many ways to jump over to I95S, depending on how far north you try to do it. If you are on I75 anyway, the further south you are, the closer it is. For me it is only a few miles difference to get to I95 instead of I75 and I like the route better. From your area, you might see about a route that takes you more easterly early. I don't think I ever took the north part of the FLA Turnpike.

richwmn - Thanks for the info. I was thinking about trying to hop onto I95 by cutting over by Jacksonville, right when we get into Florida. But, all the directions with mapquest and google, gives directions via the turnpike. But, it looks like from my maps that I can take I95 straight down to Miami.

We looked at that possibility from Portland to LA or San Diego .. San Diego 16 hrs .. so by the time I figured the cost on the extra days off work (we work for ourselves so if we don't work we don't get paid) the gas the extra hotel the fatigue and stress .. I just isn't worth it.

If I were cruising from Seattle or Vancouver I would definitely drive. .

For this reason I take as many cruises out of NY as possible.... sure there aren't as many sailings in NY as Florida, but I always check here first. Even European cruises can be done with a Cunard crossing if you time it right. As it stands right now the only cruise we are flying to is Hawaii next year... all the rest are either out of NY or connected to a crossing out of NY.

It is a five hour drive, which isn't really longer than flying when you consider stopovers. I don't think I could find a flight to Florida for under 5 hours anyway, and like one of the above posters said you don't have to worry about canceled flights and what has become the general misery of flying. I can pack my liquids any way I darn well please thank you very much, I don't have to showcase my laptop during security checks, nor worry about how difficult my shoes are to put back on while people rush me out of the way. Finally, there is no worry of over-packing, weight limits, too many bags and these newly imposed first-bag fees.

Some airlines have become so cheap they don't even include meals anymore, not that they were anything to write home about but I refuse to pay $6 for a microwave sandwich. If I am driving I can stop anywhere along the way.

I guess for any west coast departure we could drive, but between gas and a hotel we'd be out a few hundred bucks, and what kind of vacation would that be spending some serious hours in a car before and after that wonderful trip.

No way would I could possible drive to Venice but that might be interesting. For us its simply part of the overall budget that the the airfare is simply baked into the final budget whether its 200 bucks or 1000 bucks/person :eek: No question if fares rise another 50% it'll make us think again about what is the best value.

Ironic as the family all voted to junked our annual driving spring break snowy vacations of past for flying one to warm weather and Cancun, now that we are pricing the tickets its like do we really really want to do that. For the price of flying the family we can pay for almost our whole driving one :confused:

richwmn - Thanks for the info. I was thinking about trying to hop onto I95 by cutting over by Jacksonville, right when we get into Florida. But, all the directions with mapquest and google, gives directions via the turnpike. But, it looks like from my maps that I can take I95 straight down to Miami.

Long ago when family lived in Atlanta and I drove south many times, including when I was stationed in Miami, I regularly took I10 from Lake City to Jacksonville. It is an easy drive and doesn't take long. However, I believe that just a bit south of there a state highway will connect the two easier.

I don't think I could find a flight to Florida for under 5 hours anyway, and like one of the above posters said you don't have to worry about canceled flights and what has become the general misery of flying. I can pack my liquids any way I darn well please thank you very much, I don't have to showcase my laptop during security checks, nor worry about how difficult my shoes are to put back on while people rush me out of the way. Finally, there is no worry of over-packing, weight limits, too many bags and these newly imposed first-bag fees.

When I replied earlier I was thinking only about time / airline problems. All the thing about security checks, weight limits, liquids etc are something to think about as well. I am cruising out of FLL again in October and will be driving. I just can't see taking the chance of letting someone else mess up my vacation. I do a good enough job of that myself.

Rich

I thought I would look for the state road I mentioned earlier, but it turns out to be about the same distance as I10, but longer due to lower speed limit. So I10 might be your first choice. An alternative would be I16 in Ga from Macon to Savannah. Gets you to the coast further north and is a nice ride as well. That is what I take from Athens.

The funny thing is that when I tried to figure your total mileage (starting at O'Hare) every time I tried to force I95 by adding a stop in a coastal city, both google and yahoo moved the route to the turnpike as soon as the requested city was passed. I wonder if the FLA turnpike authority donated to google and yahoo.

Rich

We've driven from Dayton, Ohio area to Fort Lauderdale and it is a long one. It sure is nice to have your pop, beer and wine bought beforehand and you do not have to worry about the size of your shampoo or sunscreen. Flying can be a real pain sometimes.

I would do the Norfolk to Orlando drive in a minute. 12 hours is nothing for us and we would do that in one day leaving home around 3 or 4am when there is very little traffic.

Our last flight we left from Indianapolis (2 hour drive) and had to get there 1 1/2 hours early. The flight was at least 2 1/2 hours long. That is 6 hours minimum to get to FLL from our home on a good day! Since it takes us at least 20 hours to drive to FLL from home it is worth it.

Someone stated to consider another airport. Great. Airtran flies out of the next closest airport. I'm not sure how often their prices fluctuate but if I can get them at a decent price, then that's who I'll go with. Right now, they are in the same ballpark as the others.

Someone also mentioned renting a car vs driving our own. Never thought of that but that's great also. We were going to rent a car anyway the day before our cruise so we could drive from Orlando to Cape Canaveral.

I'll just (Plan A) keep an eye on airfare and If I don't find fare in the price range I'm looking for, then we will just (Plan B) rent a car and drive.

Many, many folks say you must fly one day ahead to be comfortable making it on the ship. If your driving distance is about 12 hours and you hold this opinion, then I would definitely drive.

We have done 6 hour drives to the ship many times on the morning of the cruise. Not a problem at all. Heck I can't take a flight to anywhere in 6 hours once you plan to get to the airport 2hours early and I have to allow 2 hours driving time to the airport and almost 1 hour to get into the airport from the airport parking......

I booked two cruises for 2008 and planned on driving to keep the cost down. For the Glory cruise I just took, I'd planned on splitting the drive down and back and arriving the day before, so that meant gas, food and 3 nights hotel rather than just airfare, parking and 1 night hotel.

But I checked SW, simply because I came across the thread on this board (I never thought about them because they don't show up on the usual internet sites and I'd never flown them before). I got roundtrip for 2, NONSTOP from RDU to MCO for $306, total.

Renting a car 1 way before and after added to the cost, but I think I came out at about the same, and I personally find flying for 1-1/2 hours a lot less stressful than sitting in the car for 10 hours or so (and I love to drive).

I am planning on driving to Jax in December. That should be a pretty easy drive.

I drove to Port Canaveral twice. I didn't want to do that again because I fell asleep coming home. Thankfully, I drifter onto the shoulder and immediately woke up rather than drifting into another vehicle or across the median! I attributed that to the Dramamine I'd been taking for days. Even taking Bonine now, I was still really sleepy when we disembarked last Saturday. But I found a Starbucks and took care of that!

Anyway, if you're going to drive, be careful of those meds, especially if all the drivers take them. I'll stop the Bonine a day early in December, just to be on the safe side.

We drove to San Diego from the LA area once (2-hour drive). I wouldn't do it if it was over 4 hours though. If you don't mind driving and maybe staying a night in a hotel the day before, might save some $$.

Laurie

I live in MN. I am almost half way coast to coast, I think west is a bit farther then east?

Would I drive?

I have to say I have thought about it for my next cruise, or least part of it? I heard this story on our local news channel-talking about this very subject-they mentioned a bus company that sold seats for $1.00, no kidding, I looked it up and I can take a 6hour bus ride to Chicago for $1 and save almost half on airfare to MIA out of MDW vs. MSP to MIA. I wouldn't have to drive, I would take an overnight ride and sleep all the way over, hop on a flight and be there no sooner or later than a flight that is 1.5 hours from home?mega-bus-dot-com(you can figure it out from there)

My other idea was to book my own connections which also brought down the prices of a flight. Fly MSP to ATL-hook up with my cousin for the night and then fly out ATL to MIA the next day.

again, would I drive? It isn't going to take too much more of a hike for me to really start seriously thinking about doing it!!!

Do you suposse there are park and sails in each state? We could all start carpooling to ports?!

I'm flying from MCO to FLL for a cruise. I just don't want to drive the 3 + hours. It cost me $362 for the flights for 3. I am only doing this because it is a 4 night on the Independence of the Seas. Otherwise I try to only cruise out of PC.

If I was going to save $1400 I would probably drive.

I'm flying from MCO to FLL for a cruise. I just don't want to drive the 3 + hours. It cost me $362 for the flights for 3. I am only doing this because it is a 4 night on the Independence of the Seas. Otherwise I try to only cruise out of PC.

If I was going to save $1400 I would probably drive.

How about a quick reality check. From a time stand point, you have to pack your car for the trip to the airport. Then drive to the airport arriving an hour early, park the car, unload the bags, go through security, then fly an hour to FLL, go back through that airport pick up your bags, put them in a shuttle or cab, ride to the port, unload the cab and join your cruise. Since I have never flown out of MCO but have several mid sized airports, checking in a walking to the gate may be 15 minutes each depending on lines. So if everything goes well, you are still talking about 2 or more hours to use the plane.

From a cost standpoint, yahoo indicates a distance of 220 miles between the airports. At 20mpg that would use 22 gallons of gas for the trip at less than $90 for all three people.

So for maybe an hour and a half difference in travel time, less hastle, and a savings of over $260 you could drive.

Sorry but the savings by driving an extra hour would be my choice, but then again I generally drive 11 hours to get to the port because I would rather not fly.

Rich

Archived