Will You Wait and See?

sail7seas

WAIT? WAIT?? WAIT????

NO! I found a cruise that I needed, wanted, and had to have, and I BOOKED it!:D

I'm with Usha, no waiting and seeing for us, if we see a cruise we like we will book it. So far we are doing Ok, now if Hal would stop canceling our cruises we'll be even better.

I'm one of the generation that was taught to save our money "for a rainy day," so my cruise plans have been little affected by the economy like most of the contributors to this thread. It seems to me that there are two critical questions, how much worse will the economy get?, which no one knows, and how many customers from the later credit-addicted generation, whose cruise plans may have to change, must a cruise line lose before it starts to really hurt?, which the cruise lines may know, but they're not going to tell us. So we're really in the dark for the time being, but we'll know soon enough. Competition is a wonderful thing! Fortunately, although I like cruises, I'm not addicted to them, so I can wait and see what happens without worrying too much about being left without a cruise.

I have the E-dam Dazzling Debut coming up shortly, and a quick little 10-day Caribbean set for January. That leaves a whole lot of '09 empty, and I have every intention of filling some of it with cruise days. It's just a matter of what/where/when.

It's younger grandgirl's turn to go a-cruisin' with Memere, but that would only be a 7-dayer. There's still a longer cruise in the Fall to figure out. Glad the 2009 European brochure came in! :D

We book ours as early as possible (preferably as they are released) and then watch and wait to see if the price goes down. Our next cruise has gone up $800 since we booked it. The other two are the same as when we booked, but I expect them to go up due to fuel costs, etc.

If they go down, we have a game with our TA to see if we spot it first or if she does. Either way she gets us the lower price and one of us gets bragging rights. Sometimes an OBC, sometimes an upgrade and sometimes a refund of the difference.:)

If they go up, we smile like the proverbial Cheshire Cat.:D:D

We will book more so that we always have something to look forward to. Looking now for a nice TA or a Panama Canal when it will work with our schedules. When we see it, we'll book it.;)

We are a dual income - 40+ couple I have one 13 yr old son. We are sailing Carnival Miracle for the 2nd time in September. We booked it almost immediately after returning from our 1st cruise last September. Yes we deliberated ( well he did ) for a few days should we? ect.. but ultimately we both decided we work hard, and this is important to us. We recharge and relax ~ that being said.. I am planning on Alaska with my dad for his 70th

( just him and I) and I am waiting to book to " see what happens"

I don't know if the economy will drive prices up or down I guess time will tell but as far as my $$ and how I will spend it - even in tough economical times.. It will continue to include a cruise I will delay booking though on this next one just a little longer

Do you expect to book another cruise within the next 6 months? Next year?

I plan to book another "cruise" aboard the Alaska Ferries (at least 3 nights) for next summer. But, as to the major cruise lines, I'm waiting for more developments regarding smoking policy before I book further.

I'm happy for all those for whom money does not seem to be a major concern. I'm always amazed at the number of people on these boards who are financially able to cruise multiple times each year and for long periods of time, book suites, etc. More power to you! For us, we work hard, save, plan and then cruise as cruises are still a good value compared to land vacations. The economy and the airline issues do come into play for us in that we have to limit the number of vacations we take. As far as the airlines, I don't know how so many folks are able to pack for cruises using one small bag! You must wear slinky clothes or wear them multiple times (unless you use onboard laundry service). We would love to take an Alaska cruisetour, but they are very expensive. Meanwhile, we'll continue to enjoy one cruise (or less) a year in the Caribbean and love it! We will also hold off booking additional cruises until we see how the economy impacts our daily living expenses such as gas, food, etc.

I expect a slow down in the economy - not sure how the US will compare to here in Canada and the rest of the world - but not expecting a total depression and I must admit I book based on my specific situation. Never know what the future will bring but I am going full steam ahead with this year's European trip and the final westbound crossing of the QE2 in October - more for history sake than anything else and we did fall in love with England last year when we visited for the first time no matter how expensive it is.

Admittedly, I have cut back on next year's cruise by picking something closer to home and I must admit the uncertainties had a bit to play in it. However, all I am saving money on is the extras in Europe as the 7 days closer to home on the ship isn't all that much cheaper than a transatlantic crossing. Have I really stopped - no as I am currently in talk with my mother and brother and sister-in-law about a 2010 trip!

Being an accountant I do keep an eye and ear open on the general state of affairs but so far its still full steam ahead for me.

David

I can't say we'll sit out from cruising because of the economy. No doubt the cost of flights is starting to play a part in our vacation decisions. That's one of the downsides to living in Texas as we generally have to fly to a port city for our cruises. I retired this past Friday and luckily my retirement pay is really, really close to my regular salary....the benefit of 42 years working for the government....so income is really not an issue though no bonus checks to take some of the edge off. Unfortunately Mrs. K still has to work for a few years meaning we still have to deal with vacation time, though only hers now, and working around her office schedule. Time will tell.......

I can't say we'll sit out from cruising because of the economy. No doubt the cost of flights is starting to play a part in our vacation decisions. That's one of the downsides to living in Texas as we generally have to fly to a port city for our cruises. I retired this past Friday and luckily my retirement pay is really, really close to my regular salary....the benefit of 42 years working for the government....so income is really not an issue though no bonus checks to take some of the edge off. Unfortunately Mrs. K still has to work for a few years meaning we still have to deal with vacation time, though only hers now, and working around her office schedule. Time will tell.......

Congratulations!!!! My husband has been retired for many years (he took early retirement) and is enjoying each and every day. Keep happy and healthy and have a wonderful life!:)

Sounds like you are living within your means and you are to be commended for that. Hope you are putting some away so when you retire you will be able to enjoy it and travel.

We have put enough away to enjoy retirement but we have made a concious decision to spend as much of our children's inheritances as possible before htey plant us. After each cruise we do sent them thank you notes teling them how much of their monies we have spent.......

Ruth & Jim

Seeing as there is no question our economy is in trouble in the U.S., are you sitting back and waiting to see how prices drop or raise, deals that may or may not be offered before you decide to make a new cruise booking?

Or, have you decided to wait it out until after the election to see how things shake out?

Do you expect to book another cruise within the next 6 months? Next year?

Yes.

No.

Yes.

....which means that people who have 8:00 P.M. dining have to dress and be out of their cabin to see the 7:00 show. Crazy. If we wanted to dress at 6:00 or 6:30 we would have asked for early dining. This virtually elimnates most late diners from seeing any shows. Most people want to see the show after dinner IMO

Check out more of the international headlines. Food and fuel is becoming a wordwide problem and will not go away until we start drilling for more fuel and building refineries in this country.

Not trying to start a firestorm but it has been 30 years since we built a new refinery in this country and we are paying the price for that now. If they started exploring and drilling now it will take an estimated 10-15 years before the oil coming out of the ground will end up at the gas pumps.

These subjects need to be addressed with our elected officials and changes need to be made.

Ruth & Jim

BRAVO, Jim!

Give Ruth a kiss and a hug for me..... you, too! :)

....which means that people who have 8:00 P.M. dining have to dress and be out of their cabin to see the 7:00 show. Crazy. If we wanted to dress at 6:00 or 6:30 we would have asked for early dining. This virtually elimnates most late diners from seeing any shows. Most people want to see the show after dinner IMO

You got that right!!

We used to enjoy dinner at 5:45 -- go to a show at 8:30 (which wasn't mobbed) and then have a cocktail before retiring for bed.

Now we are done with dinner by 7 or so -- get in line for some of the shows and wait for the 9 PM show. Since we are early bird people, that means no cocktails after the show which usually ended around 10:15 the couple of times we went to one.

Do not like the new times!!!

Sigh, at our age we go while we can move!!!! HAL booked for Feb; Regent for May and Celebrity for 2010. And all suites. We're not leaving anything to the young'uns.;)

Everyone should have two watches; one to count down the life and one to count down the money. Yhe object of the game is to have both of themreach zero at the same time. :D

Unfortunatly we don't so we skip the suite and enjoy the trip. :)

We have one more cruise booked for 2008 then three cruises booked for 2009. We are retired and won't wait around to book. If prices do drop we will of course try to get our price lowered or consider moving the cruise to another date if we could still get our category and dining arrangements.

• 4 weeks later...

Randyk47

Hi, Randy

Back in '06 you posted photos of Regina and Reggie in the Volendam's Neptune Lounge.

I can find the posts, but the photos don't show up. Do you still have the photos? Would you mind posting again if you can find them?

Thanks.

B

Archived