More than 2 people and Priceline

Sorry if this has been posted before...

We will be sailing in December to Southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico and would like to try Priceline; however, there will be three of us in a room. What has been anyones experience with booking a room for two and getting more than a King size bed?

Sorry if this has been posted before...

We will be sailing in December to Southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico and would like to try Priceline; however, there will be three of us in a room. What has been anyones experience with booking a room for two and getting more than a King size bed?

You are taking your chances. Priceline's rules clearly specify that any room is being booked for TWO guests. You can call up the hotel that you win later, but they do not HAVE to give you a room that will accommodate three.

I booked a hotel room through Priceline and there were 3 of us. They only guarantee that the room will sleep 2 people.

I called the hotel after I had realized that we would be given a room for only 2 people and asked about a room for 3. They said they would accommodate us with a room that would sleep 3 people, but that there would be an extra charge. I mistakenly assumed that I would pay the difference between what is typically charged for a room that sleeps 3 vs one that sleeps 2.

However, the hotel can charge whatever they want extra...its up to them. They ended up charging us the difference between a a room for 3 at their standard (not discounted) rates and what we paid. I would have paid the exact same price by booking with the hotel directly. Booking through Priceline did not save me a dime and actually created quite a headache.

Try Hotwire instead. On that web site you can specify a room for 3.

We have never had a problem getting the room type we want through priceline, either by getting a second bed or a rollaway. Hotwire does let you specify three people but that can also inflate the price. We find just asking when you arrive does not.

I have had one experience when I booked for my husband. I called to request two beds (because he did not want to sleep with his buddy), and the hotel did not have a room with two beds or a rollaway. I ended up booking an additional room.

I recommend Hotwire also. We have used them for everything from airfare, to car rentals, to hotels.

We had 3 people in a room on hotwire and we got a room that had 2 beds. I checked the price after, and it was more than a room with 2 people, but it was cheaper than booking with the hotel directly.

I would contact the hotel after you have booked and request 2 beds (and if this can't be done than perhaps the use of a rollaway bed).

While priceline guarantees a room for two people, no where does it state that the people have to share the same bed. Not everyone travels with their spouse. You don't have to disclose that it is for a third person.

I used Priceline to book my San Juan hotel for last November. I emailed the hotel requesting a non-smoking room with a King sized bed and received a repsonse confirming that my request would be fulfilled. I printed the email and had it with me at check-in incase there were any problems.

I would contact the hotel after you have booked and request 2 beds (and if this can't be done than perhaps the use of a rollaway bed).

While priceline guarantees a room for two people, no where does it state that the people have to share the same bed. Not everyone travels with their spouse. You don't have to disclose that it is for a third person.

Since rooms with one bed have an occupancy of two, then you can be given that room with no other recourse ... as it says on the site, there are no guarantees on the type of room.

I am leary about using Priceline for 3 people ... I've really only done it when I was pretty sure what hotel I was going to get (a suite with a guaranteed sofa bed) or with the understanding that, for saving a ton of money, someone would be willing to sleep on the floor. No one has ever ridden the carpet, but it is always a possibility with Priceline.

I've had mixed results with requests ahead of time. I once emailed the hotel (they had an email on the Priceline confirmation page) and I didn't hear back from them until after I'd already completed my stay. I've called and "confirmed" my booking in order to find out the room type for my rreservation. Sometimes it has been for two beds, sometimes only one bed. Sometimes on that call they will change the reservation if need, others have said they would "make a note" with my request, while others have said that if I didn't like it, I could "take it up" with Priceline. Usually, I've found the best person for politely getting what you want is the desk clerk who checks you in ... though of course, you may be anxious about that up to that time.

I have my upcoming hotel booked on Hotwire so I could specify 3 people. It was $10 more than for two people, but at least I don't have to worry about it. I'm cruising in December with my parents and won a very cheap bid in a hotel around the Miami Airport ... if we can't get a two-bed room, guess who'll be riding the floor for the night .... ;)

Archived