Inside Cabin on Mercury?

slvoigt

Apologies if this question has been done already - my eyes will not last through all the searching and reading necessary to find a previous answer...

Hubby and I are booked on the 5/20/05 Mercury Alaska cruise. We are first-time cruisers. We booked an inside cabin with the idea that we aren't planning on spending our whole vacation in our room, we would rather save the money and use it for drinks at bars while people-watching, shore excursions, etc.

How many of you have traveled in an inside cabin? We're on the Sky Deck, aft. Neither of us are claustrophobic so not concerned about that. But any advice would be welcome... particularly reassurances!

Stacey

I think you should be just fine. Most of my cruises have been in inside cabins. They aren't really that bad. I have done many solo cruises so I'd rather be out and about meeting and seeing people than in my cabin.

So sorry to hear about your eyes. You are too young to start having sight problems. Be sure to enjoy the scenery that Alaska has to offer.

Bundle up and enjoy your time out on deck. You are in for a real treat!

My husband and I have now completed 8 cruises. We have had inside cabins on 6 of them. We don't spend much time in our cabin anyway, as we like to be out and about where other people are. We also feel that we would rather spend our money on excursions and on cruising more often. With this philosophy we have been able to cruise 8 times in less than 5 years even though our income is not that great. Our 9th cruise is booked for February. We will be on the Mercury in an aft Sky Deck Inside Cabin (1224). A window just doesn't do much for me. Maybe a balcony would be a big advantage, but not a window. Alaska is beautiful. We loved our cruise there. Then again, we have enjoyed every cruise, including our last "spur of the moment" cruise on Carnival Conquest (Sept. 26, 2004), which we booked only 4 days in advance! Not a perfect cruise, but enjoyable, none the less. Joy

My husband and I had an inside cabin for a 14 day Panama Canal cruise on Galaxy - can't remember what deck, but it was nearer to the top. I thought it was just fine. Nice and dark for sleeping and you are right, you won't spend alot of time in the cabin. When we did, it was to rest and nap and the darkness helped then.

I would love to have a balcony cabin, but the prices are just too high. One of these days...

Beth

The scenery, animal life, whale sightings, glaciers, and the fresh air in Alaska are stunning.

Regarding inside cabin, here's my 2 cents:

PRO'S

1. Cheaper-more $ for excursions, ship expenses, or other cruises

2. Maybe you don't spend much time there anyway

3. Darker--in Alaska it gets light outside mighty early, and the sun doesn't go down till very late!

CON'S

1. Can't enjoy the scenery etc without getting dressed and going to a public area. Maybe you'd like to have quiet time without other people always around.

2. Don't have any sense of what time of day or night without looking at watch

3. Some people are claustrophobic.

For myself, an inside would be OK, but the next step up is a BALCONY, not an oceanview. If you're going to want to go outside, go outside onto your own private deck. And, to those people who say you don't spend time in your cabin anyway, I respond, "You do spend time in the cabin if it's nice enough cabin..."

We just returned from a Mexican Riviera cruise on Mercury.

We had an inside cabin on deck 9.

It was quite o.k., large Kingsize bed, TV, minibar, daily ice and water in the cabin, shower etc.

Stacey

I'd say if you are going for an inside, the Sky Deck is the best place to be. There aren't many cabins up there and there should be little traffic. It is also handy for the eating areas, straight down the elevator for both the cafe and dining room. Not far from the pool area either. The deck above is designated a quiet area. You'll be nearby to nip up there and get the best views of Alaska:cool:

One drawback is that it is high up and aft, so you will feel more motion in the cabin if it is rocky.

Phil

Good morning:) I had an inside cabin on Mercury back in March.

The only thing I do in my cabin is sleep, shower and change clothes! So, Inside is fine with me:)

I also had an inside cabin on the Mercury for Alaska and it was great. You will need the extra money for the excursions as they are quite hefty. Alaska is beautiful and the best place to be when on the ship is the Navigator Lounge. The windows are floor to ceiling and the views are spectacular. Enjoy your trip. We are on the Mercury again on 4/10/05.

Hi,

I think you will be just fine. We had a "deluxe" outside with picture window b/c we really wanted to see all of the scenery, but not necessarily have to leave our room. If it is not that big of a deal, you'll be fine. You will have the same ammenities as everyone else and save some money!

We have been on 6 cruises with 2 more booked and all but two have been inside cabins.

I cannot see paying extra money just for a window. If you go up to balcony then it's allot more money for just a balcony.

My TA actually talked me out of upgrading to a balcony on the cruise I've booked for next April. We have an inside Category 9 as we do for our Alaska Cruise next July.

You'll be just fine in an inside cabin.

Anne Maria

I was once in an Inside cabin on the SKy deck on Mercury. It is an excellent location. Very near the pool or outside for sight seeing and if I recall correctly, above the restaurant. We have been on several cruises in an inside cabin. The window does nothing for us so it is either inside or a balcony or suite. The suite is nice if our daughter is with us.

They are the BEST!!!!! We always get an inside for same reasons you do....we are never in there but to bath and sleep!!! Too much fun to be had elsewhere!!!! Cant wait to sail her to the Mex. Riv 1/6!!!!! Actually, Sky deck on any of the C class ships is great -- not on the M class b/c it is UNDER the buffet dining room!!!! 9151 on M class is a NO NO!!!!!!!! TRUST ME!!!

I've never been on Mercury, but I have done Zenith and I just did Carnival Fascination. My opinion--it's not just the view. Inside cabins are smaller and not as nice. I feel like if you are going to do a cruise, you should at least get a room with a view! On Fascination, the inside rooms were rectangled-shaped with the long side up against the hallway. I can't remember how the inside rooms looked on Zenith. I glance in as many rooms as possible on ships whenever the doors are open. Curiosity I guess. Inside rooms look crampt. If you can afford it and if you can change to a window room, even if it has a life boat in front of it, do it!

-Joanne

Hi:) I just got a new 2005-2006 X Catalog....shows the sizes of all the cabins...

On the Mercury...Oceanview and Inside are 1 foot difference......Inside says

171 square feet....Window 172.......

So they are really the same size.....those are the standard cabins. Of course you have the "Family Ocean View"......more than 30 feet larger..and much more $$$.

And then all the Suites too.........

For us it's either an aft balcony or an inside stateroom. We had an aft balcony on our Alaska cruise in Sept and our friends had a side balcony. They could not sit out on their balcony when the ship was moving as the wind made it too cold. We enjoyed our balcony but could have done this cruise in an inside cabin, too. Our next three cruises that we have booked are all inside cabins.

Stacey, Welcome aboard! My hubby,brother and sil are on this cruise.I was content to have an inside cabin,but hubby decided to book us a balcony since my brother booked one.Im looking forward to this cruise,but it would be nice to have that extra $ to put toward those excursions.BTW,I noticed the docking times have changed already.We lost 3 hours in Juneau.Im not sure why,but Im hoping its a mistake.Guess I wont book any excursions till closer to sailing,if not on the ship.Hope to hear from you again soon! Dot

I leave Monday on the Galaxy, twin to the Mercury. There are many experienced cruisers on the rollcall, and several of those who look for good values so they can cruise more often are on Sky deck inside cabins. If you're going to be out and about all the time anyway, it really seems like the way to go. Dh and I are both introverts who need to get back to the cabin for a few hours to re-charge, so at least a window is nice (for our honeymoon/10th anniversary, we splurged for a Sky Deck CC/balcony), but it sounds like the inside cabins are fine, and on the sky deck, even really nice.

Thank you to every one of you who took the time to respond. It sounds like a) we chose the right deck to be on (Sky Deck) and b) we are going to be just fine inside. Those of you who said don't bother with an oceanview, go straight to balcony, are thinking like me. I see not much point in a window. We can't, at this time, afford a balcony room (soon, I hope) so we are going with inside and planning on being out and about a lot. Hubby is big on video games so being on the same deck as the arcade will be a bonus. I plan to spend much of my time peoplewatching and drinking martinis and working on my "novel" (ha ha). Especially with the many, many hours of daylight we'll have... I don't foresee too much "downtime". It'll be good to have a dark, quiet place to regroup.

Again- thanks to all! What a friendly and helpful bunch you are!:D

Archived