passports anyone?

TheHappyWanderer

Has anyone done a recent renewal of their passport? I am trying to decide if I trust their 4 week estimation for delivery or I need to suck it up and pay almost double for expedited delivery, which is three weeks.Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Marilee

Absolutely put the date of expected travel. They will get it back to you in time. A girl downstairs from where I work just got hers back in a little over a week. Amazing.

Has anyone done a recent renewal of their passport? I am trying to decide if I trust their 4 week estimation for delivery or I need to suck it up and pay almost double for expedited delivery, which is three weeks.Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Marilee

We renewed our passports last month and got them back within 2 weeks. Pretty good delivery time.

Richard

Marilee

Stop asking questions and send it today. Express mail!

Pia

In the last couple of months this was a topic on this board about this very question and virtually all of those people got their passports back in about 1 or 2 weeks. The longer you wait in the start of the summer months the longer it will take you to receive it.

marilyn

Renewals seem to be taking 1 - 2 weeks; new passports about a week longer. But as the others have said, send it today. If you're concerned about the timing, send it overnight via UPS or FedEx. That way, you can also track it.

One thing to know is that they will send your new passport first. A few days later, I received my old passport back. They did not send them together.

Marilee

The sooner you apply for your passport, the better. I think the " bottleneck" that occurred last year has not continued, as far as I can tell.

My DW and I applied for our passports in February and got our new passports within 10 days. We applied at our local post office.

I hope this gives you a bit of encouragement and confidence!!

Absolutely put the date of expected travel. They will get it back to you in time.
Last year when all the rush was occurring to get passports before the deadline (which was later extended) it took us 17 weeks, and a Congressional Expedite from our Senator to get our passport just days before we had to leave for our son's wedding in Europe. Having the travel date listed was an important factor in being able to expedite.

They told us 6 weeks at the start, which then became 10, 12, 13, 14...

So don't count on the time they quote as being a sure thing. Apply early and give enough time for some slippage in schedule. Hopefully it will never be as bad as last year, but all it takes is some change in the passport requirements...

by the way - that Senator got my vote in the election.

We renewed our passports a year ago. Expedited took less than 2 weeks. Regular-applying at a Post Office-took 12 weeks. From the posts her, it sounds like the State Dept. has caught up with the backlog.

Archived