Just back from Med cruise - a few observations

leela14

I don't wear sneakers except to work out but I did buy 2 pairs of Born flip flops that are very comfortable with thick soles. Think I will be ok? They are thick soled and have lots of support. I always wear flip flops/sandals. Even to work to chase around 6 year olds all day!:D

The only problem with flip flops is that you have less support. The sidewalks and roads are often uneven and even cobbled. You could twist your ankle more easily, I would think.

Also, I'm not a big fan of wearing sandals or flip flops in cities because your feet are absolutely grimy at the end of the day....:eek: But that's just me.

Sketchers have a lot of real cute shoes. I have a pair of gold and silver

fashion sneakers. They are really so comfortable. I saw a bunch last

night on QVC. They have an arch and my foot definitely needs a shoe

with an arch support. They also have some babydoll shoes too.:p

I travel in sandals all the time--my "everything" is grimy at the end of the day in summer heat, not just my feet, so I shower regardless--doesn't bother me to wear open shoes. For the most part I prefer something with an ankle strap, ties or buckles--not flip flops or slides--if I'm going to be walking more than 2 miles in a stretch. I've done it (I travelled all around Turkey--by land--over different ruins every day in patent leather slides with a rubber wedge sole--god I miss those shoes!!! But I'm older now and need more support! I also lived in two pairs of shoes the entire time I lived in Belgium in my college years--birkenstocks for warm weather, Doc Martens for cold weather:p

I too am one of "those people" that doesn't wear running shoes unless I'm running, but I do wear comfortable and supportive shoes at most times, and certainly any time I'm going to be walking quite a bit. I wore hiking shoes in Alaska, but that is because we were actually hiking on the trip. If I were going to Europe to hike, I'd bring them along. But not for city tours.

We did a 14 night Med last November. I found a pair of Clarks shoes that were amazing. They were basic brown, but stylish, so they worked with jeans and khakis (for the evening). They had great support and were slip-ons which made it perfect for ease in the airports.

Probably not the best for summer clothes, but I've heard that Clarks makes some amazing sandals that people have climbed all over Italy in. You might check them out! I looked into Clarks after people raved about the sandals.

Everyone is correct with the amount of walking that is done on Med cruises. They are definitely "working cruises". I loved every bit of it, but was so glad I found some good shoes.

I like Clark's too. We did a land trip in the UK a couple of years ago and I made the mistake of buying some Born's and not breaking them in before we left. I ended up buying a pair of Clark's in Fort William, Scotland and they felt like heaven from the moment I put them on. Needless to say, they're a staple for me now on our colder trips.

I don't wear sneakers except to work out but I did buy 2 pairs of Born flip flops that are very comfortable with thick soles. Think I will be ok? They are thick soled and have lots of support. I always wear flip flops/sandals. Even to work to chase around 6 year olds all day!:D

If you're used to wearing flip flops then they might be okay. Personally, although I wear flip flops from time to time, it would drive me crazy to have a strap between my toes long term. I also think that having a back strap would make a big difference in stability. I never had to worry about my Borns coming off when I was walking up and down hills.

I walked all over last year in my Naot Sandals. Very comfortable. I'm not taking any running shoes to Greece, but I will make sure I've got a couple of pairs of sandals to alternate. Just ordered some birkenstocks, we'll see how they do. I also have a pair of Geox cream loafers that I plan on taking, love the holes in the soles for breathing.

I wear SAS shoes for my excursions. They are made entirely from one piece of leather, so there are no seams gouging the bottom and sides of your feet. They are very nice looking "regular" shoes, and you wear them with socks. I can walk in them all day. They look like nice leather shoes with shoelaces.

I also wear SAS sandals, which are great for hot weather, and I can walk for a very long time in them.

I'm looking for replacement sandals on eBay, and there are a lot of SAS shoes for sale. The sizes run a little roomy, but when you are walking all day, your feet will swell a little, so it's OK if they are a little loose. That's part of the comfort.

They are over $100 a pair regularly priced, but you can get them for under $50 on eBay. I swear by these shoes and sandals.

As far as packing for Europe, I agree completely with the OP.

Be sure your pants are not tight fitting: take several pairs of the stretchy fabric that doesn't wrinkle.

Definitely a raincoat, but a lightweight one. We were in rainy weather in April, May, October, and November in Europe, and my lightweight raincoat worked fine with a knit jacket underneath. Get the kind of raincoat you can roll up and put in your bag. Travel umbrella, and try packinglight.com for their "galoshes". I take these in my bag. You are walking all over all kinds of terrain, and if it rains hard for a little while, then you can keep going and keep your shoes dry.

My rule of thumb is every pair of bottoms goes with three tops, so I'm taking several pairs of pants that go with multiple tops. Beige, black, and navy can be mixed with almost any color on the top.

Get one of those crushable waterproof hats to put in your bag, too. They double as rain and sun hats.

What brand/type of tennis/running shoe would you say had the absolute best support for someone on their feel for 8 - 12 hours at a time?

Depends on where you need the support--everyone has differently shaped feet, and those come with different needs. A professional fitting at a small athletic store would be ideal for you if you have one nearby....

The only problem with flip flops is that you have less support. The sidewalks and roads are often uneven and even cobbled. You could twist your ankle more easily, I would think.

Also, I'm not a big fan of wearing sandals or flip flops in cities because your feet are absolutely grimy at the end of the day....:eek: But that's just me.

I agree with that. I love sandals for summertime wear and at work too, but travel/walking...not so much. I just bought these for my trip to Europe and I am very pleased so far. Really super comfy...and not too clunky looking - I just hate having to wear those big fat clunky shoes...even though they may be comfy. :o These have a bit of "cuteness" about them at least!

Shoes_iBEC1078900.jpg

What brand/type of tennis/running shoe would you say had the absolute best support for someone on their feel for 8 - 12 hours at a time?

That would be difficult to recommend. I'm a runner...and I have 3 pair of Sauconys, but I never wear them for anything other than running. I have high arches, but don't pronate. So my needs are quite different than someone elses. But if you want that type of shoe, then you need to probably go to a running store.

I'm afraid I live in a very small town, getting a salesperson in Sears to wait on me would be much more likely to happen than a professional fitting.

I work a part time job where I"m on my feet and just want a really good shoe for support. I have NO foot issues...and will be doing no exercise of any kind in these shoes.

Any suggestions?

In that case I would probably surf Zappos, and read the comments there for those shoes that look like what you want. The comment section of Zappos is very useful!! Either that or simply head to Sears and try on some shoes. Perhaps a true "walking shoe" would be the best thing for you since you will not actually be using them for any other sport. Ryka makes a very good walking shoe specifically for the female foot. I have owned several pairs over the years but don't wear them that much lately.

Buster--I have a friend who's a dealer in Vegas and on his feet hours and hours at time. His favorite shoes right now are Propet and MBT. BIG difference in price. But his foot health is important to him, and he wears the MBT shoes probably 50 hours a week, so the cost per wear is decent.

Propet is much more affordable. Some of the styles aren't very attractive, but some nice ones do exist if you dig;)

There are tons and tons of "comfort" shoes available, and what is comfortable for each of us varies. I can't wear Clarks because they're too narrow for my feet. I like Merrells but some of them don't fit me right (the arch starts too far forward or something--on the newer, more "fashion" oriented shoes--I don't have a problem with their running shoes, hiking shoes, or moccasin styles)

I live in my New Balance cross trainers. I work out in them and wear them to work. They are just plain comfortable. I am lucky enough to work at a business that lets me wear them. But, for Europe, I will take a black pair of the same cross trainers, along with black socks made by the same company that makes my thick white ones.

I have walked Paris in one day. I know what blisters mean. I will stick to what works for me, just wear a different color.

I'm 61, my niece says I need to get a cool pr. of Pumas. She swears they are very comfortable and I won't look like a geek!:eek: She's 21 and the "Queen of What's Cool", so I'm off to try on a few pair.:D Her sister (18) says I have to get rid of my zipup sweatshirt jacket, and replace it w/a "hoody" because w/o the hood I'm like "so out of it". The DS (13) says whatever I do, don't buy anything that says "Roxy" because the brand is for "girls" not "moms". How the heck did I get to 61 w/o them helping me dress??? LOL

If you want something that looks more sandal like but feels like a really good walking shoe, check out the Sandy and Escapade here:

http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722669381/page/1.html

I have the Escapade in the multi-metallic and the Sandy in black and they will be my touring shoes in August. They are unbelievably comfortable!

I'm 61, my niece says I need to get a cool pr. of Pumas. She swears they are very comfortable and I won't look like a geek!:eek: She's 21 and the "Queen of What's Cool", so I'm off to try on a few pair.:D Her sister (18) says I have to get rid of my zipup sweatshirt jacket, and replace it w/a "hoody" because w/o the hood I'm like "so out of it". The DS (13) says whatever I do, don't buy anything that says "Roxy" because the brand is for "girls" not "moms". How the heck did I get to 61 w/o them helping me dress??? LOL

Cute! My 16 year-old son just sighs when I wear my black hoodie with the pink rhinestone skull... :D:D:D

Cute! My 16 year-old son just sighs when I wear my black hoodie with the pink rhinestone skull... :D:D:D

My son is 15 1/2. We were meeting my parents for dinner tonight (early Father's Day) and he was getting dressed. He hollered into my room..."Mom! What kind of restaurant is it? Dressy?" He wanted to make sure he was dressed properly. And I hadn't said anything other than "Go get ready". I'll just never understand how I wound up with such a clothes horse! :p He even came in my room to see if I approved..."This okay mom?". Geeeeezzzz. He does not care for my new Privo shoes though...says they are "dorky" looking. Oh well. Guess I just am not quite as "cool" as he. :rolleyes:

OP's point is well taken. Our Med cruise is coming right up and I'm still unsure which shoes to take, or whether to try yet another pair. Our last three trips to Rome, I've used two pairs in alternation, one a "workout" shoe (right now that's an Asics gel with good ventilation on top) and the other a "walking" shoe, like a Clarks or Born; one better protects the bottom of my foot, the other the toes. I'm trying some Keens but they don't seem to have enough arch support or crepe-y-ness in the bottom for 8-10 hours of city sightseeing on foot. I'd like to limit my shoes this time to 1 pair of dress sandals, 1 pair for working out, and 1 pair for ports, and very thin flip-flops for the pool deck or the beach...

OP's point is well taken. Our Med cruise is coming right up and I'm still unsure which shoes to take, or whether to try yet another pair. Our last three trips to Rome, I've used two pairs in alternation, one a "workout" shoe (right now that's an Asics gel with good ventilation on top) and the other a "walking" shoe, like a Clarks or Born; one better protects the bottom of my foot, the other the toes. I'm trying some Keens but they don't seem to have enough arch support or crepe-y-ness in the bottom for 8-10 hours of city sightseeing on foot. I'd like to limit my shoes this time to 1 pair of dress sandals, 1 pair for working out, and 1 pair for ports, and very thin flip-flops for the pool deck or the beach...

I would really rethink not taking 2 pairs of walking shoes. First, it's better to alternate days in different shoes rather than wear the same pair every day. Second, what will you do if one pair gets soaked or something happens to make them unwearable?

For Europe, I always take 2 pairs of good, broken in walking shoes (NOT gym shoes). Sometimes I indulge myself and take 3 pairs if I have room. If my feet ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.....

If you spend anytime on the ground in Europe......IMHO, Walking shoes,walking shoes,walking shoes....whether they be Trainers,pumas,sneakers,oxfords,cross trainers or what have you, in my opinion they should cover your entire foot,be worn with sox and you should if possible have more than one pair. I would never have exposed skin on my feet in any city,anywhere inthe world.(unless maybe just going out for a nice dinner in the evening) Good support for the arch and the sides of your foot is essential. You may not feel it right away but porblems of insufficient foot support can manifest themselves later down the line. Be kind to your feet. Just my very humble opinion. After 4 NYC marathons,2 Chicago marathons,hiking the Inca Trail in Peru and countless foot abusing vacations, and a long day in Athens can be a killer...I'm so AWARE of my feet.

To paraphrase CRUISEMOM...if your feet ain't happy nobody is happy!

Jennifer

Archived