Cell Phones On Islands

schinz

I can't speak for Verizon, but we had Sprint service on St Thomas. It was a blast calling work from poolside. MY guess is the other islands you would have to have some sort of international coverage. With St Thomas being a USVI, they have the US services. I know we offered to our American crew the use of our phone as we had no roaming and it gave them a chance to call home free.

This past January our Verizon cell only worked in St. Thomas and not any of the other islands you asked about. You need an international cell phone for any islands that aren't a part of the US, like the US Virgin Islands are. For some reason the cell also worked in the Bahamas.

Sprint works on all the islands mentioned but with roaming in all but St. Thomas and San Juan. We have friends with Verizon and I believe it has the same functionality. You just have to make sure before you leave that you are set up for international roaming.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]The truth of the mater is that being able to use your cell phone has more to do with your actual phone than your carrier. Your carrier must have arrangements with international carriers (vodaphone in UK for example) to allow their customers to use their system (roamming fee). But you must then have a phone that is compatible with their system, the US uses a certain frequency while othe countries use others (not uniform). I do a lot of international traveling and purchased a 'World Phone' this operates on a Quad-Ban (four different frequencies) that is compatible all over the world. I have had no problem using this phone on any Caribbean island or in Europe.[/color][/size][/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#4169e1][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#4169e1]Hope this helps.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#4169e1][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#4169e1]Bob [url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZR"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_6_13.gif[/img][/url] [/color][/size][/font][/i][/b]

From my experience, Verizon works in San Juan, PR and St Thomas automatically. I was also able to get the phone to work in St. Maartin, but had to make local arrangements that cost an additional 10 dollars or so. Hope this helps.

Scott

Archived