St. Maarten Questions!

I originally posted these on the St. Maarten board a few days ago but I didn't get any responses so I'll try here. :)

1. Is it still fairly easy to get by using the US dollar on the Dutch side?

2. I'm hoping to go to Maho beach while I'm stopped there, and I'm planning to use a taxi to get there. My one concern is getting back. Are there plenty of taxis driving by that area, or should I arrange a pickup with the taxi that drops me off?

3. Finally, has anyone been to Maho lately? From what I've seen in pictures the beach can "disappear" at times and become quite rocky. Anyone know the current conditions?

Thanks all!

I originally posted these on the St. Maarten board a few days ago but I didn't get any responses so I'll try here. :)

2. I'm hoping to go to Maho beach while I'm stopped there, and I'm planning to use a taxi to get there. My one concern is getting back. Are there plenty of taxis driving by that area, or should I arrange a pickup with the taxi that drops me off?

3. Finally, has anyone been to Maho lately? From what I've seen in pictures the beach can "disappear" at times and become quite rocky. Anyone know the current conditions?

Thanks all!

The answer to #1 is yes. No problems. The rest I don't know.

L

Thanks all!

1. Yes U.S $ are accepted everywhere.

2. At the opposite end of sunset beach bar on Maho is Maho beach hotel. There are taxis there.

3. Google sunset beach bar in st Maarten and they have a webcam that shows the beach near to the bar. At present there are some rocks showing towards the bar end of the beach. the rest is fine.

Enjoy seeing the planes come in so low over the beach

Unless you are planning on staying there all day, ask the driver how much it is to have him wait with you! the price of a tour starts at $ 35 per person - just arrange a price for the day. Thats what we do. We are going in August and we plan on getting a driver, hanging at the beach, ( tell your friends to check out the web cam at Sunset Grill at Maho Beach, they might see you! ) then we're going to go someplace and eat , get our restock of guavaberry rum and get back to the ship. CAN"T WAIT!!!

Great thanks for the help everyone! I think we will try to arrage a pickup time and if not use the hotel as a backup.

Another question...about how long is the ride from the beach to the port?

It should only take about twenty minutes if memory serves, but at times, traffic in Phillipsburg can be horrendous so I would make sure not to try cutting it too close when heading back to the ship. :) Leave yourself plenty of time and if you are not ready to reboard the ship when you get back, there are some nice shops where you can browse or buy a wide assortment of things.:)

It should only take about twenty minutes if memory serves, but at times, traffic in Phillipsburg can be horrendous so I would make sure not to try cutting it too close when heading back to the ship. :) Leave yourself plenty of time and if you are not ready to reboard the ship when you get back, there are some nice shops where you can browse or buy a wide assortment of things.:)

Don't forget the drawbridge. I think it opens at least three times a day. If you get stuck waiting for that, you could have a real problem. I recall members who've mentioned that it took them more than an hour to get back to Philipsburg from Maho because of that.

beachchick

There is also a possibility to go back to the ship via the french side.It's longer,but there is usually no traffic there, so in the end you can reach your ship faster. Everything depends of the time of the day.

Granted its been more than 11 years since I was last there but I seem to remember the distances being small but traffic and speed making it near an hour to get back.

The hotel as mentioned above is where I'd get a taxi and I wouldnt cut it close.

Will be taking my own advice in April as I just booked on Explorer here.

What I do not know, what time are the flights over the beach. The boat leaves at 6pm and I want to make sure I can see them and still get back.

Great thanks for the help everyone! I think we will try to arrage a pickup time and if not use the hotel as a backup.

Another question...about how long is the ride from the beach to the port?

This is a cool beach to hang out at and the Sunset beach Bar is pretty cool too, however, I suggest you start heading back no later than 3 to be safe. We waited a little too long and got caught in traffic and missed the ship. ( long story - but we caught the ship at St Thomas )

OK Golfer, you need to tell us the story about missing the ship. I have read the horror stories about not being back to the ship on time, but never an actual story as to what you have to go thru to get to the next stop. Hopefully I never need this info, but then go ahead and tell us anyway.

Thanks all!

1. No need to exchange money.

2. Plenty of taxi's at Maho. When you return, be aware that you will need to cross a drawbridge that can add as much as 30 minutes extra on your trip if boats are passing through. Be sure to allocate enough time.

3. We were at Maho in Feb and it was fine. Not a great beach by St. Maarten standards - the only real reason to go is to see the planes IMHO.

1. No need to exchange money.

2. Plenty of taxi's at Maho. When you return, be aware that you will need to cross a drawbridge that can add as much as 30 minutes extra on your trip if boats are passing through. Be sure to allocate enough time.

3. We were at Maho in Feb and it was fine. Not a great beach by St. Maarten standards - the only real reason to go is to see the planes IMHO.

To see the planes?? Oh do tell!! :) I am headed there in November!!

To see the planes?? Oh do tell!! :) I am headed there in November!!

I think this explains it pretty well...http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6267002&nseq=3

I will make a point of getting a taxi at 2:30-3:00 since the ship leaves at 5. That means I'll miss the largest plane scheduled for that day so far (American 757), but I'd rather miss a plane flying over me than the ship!

Thanks for the help everyone.

I think this explains it pretty well...http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6267002&nseq=3

I will make a point of getting a taxi at 2:30-3:00 since the ship leaves at 5. That means I'll miss the largest plane scheduled for that day so far (American 757), but I'd rather miss a plane flying over me than the ship!

Thanks for the help everyone.

WOW!!! Thanks...man that would be cool

My family and I want to do the Loterie Farm Treetop Adventure Tour. We are sailing the Liberty of the Seas September 27th - we'll be in St. Maarten on the 30th. However, this excursion doesn't show as available for my cruise. Does anyone know why? Can I possibly book this tour directly with the company that offers it?

US $ good everywhere!

Arrange a pickup if the driver will, otherwise the hotel, as mentioned above, or the bar will call one for you.

Leave at 3 and end the day shopping in Phillipsberg to be safe drawbridge can ruin your day...but at least the airport is close! :p

Pics of beach:

DSCN1272.jpg

DSCN1271.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

Archived