I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

I'm travelling with my parents who are both over 60 and we are not great fan of amusement park. I've read somewhere here suggested that Tivoli is best visit at night with all the lights and fireworks and without those in the day it's just another Disneyland. I'm wondering if there would be any light show or fireworks in Tivoli in July under the 24-hour daylight and wherether it worths a visit if there is none.

Tivoli is nothing at all like Disneyland.

As I mentioned before, and will keep mentioning, Tivoli is much more than an amusement park. The history is fun & fascinating and it's a gorgeous park that just happens to have amusement rides.

if you abhor amusement parks - then don't go ... but if you are interested in history and culture - it's a must see.

Dear CrusinEurope - We will be in Copenhagen for a little over two weeks in June with students from Union College in upstate New York, studying health care. We have a choice of two apts to rent - one is along the canal, on Nyhavn and the other on Lovstraede, which would be nearer to my husband's office and the students. How do the two areas compare? Grocery stores nearby, cafes, etc. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

We did spend one day last August in Copenhagen when on the Baltic Cruise on the Constellation. The weather was somewhat rainy so we are looking forward to spending time there.

Thanks, Vicky

I don't know where your husbands office is - so I have no idea which area is closer.

Fortunately, in CPH you are never more than a block from a grocery store or cafe - so either location will be just fine. Nyhavn is absolutely a much more interesting/hopping place - so I'm betting the students would enjoy that location.

Enjoy!

CruisinEurope........how kind and patient you are to help us all this time. I cannot go

back through 53 pages of posts to get my answer, so here's my question!

We are sailing on 13 Sep from the Freeport Terminal. We'll, I assume, have to take

a taxi from our airport hotel to the pier, check in on the ship, and another taxi in to

town. Getting back to the ship, I assume, will also be by taxi. I understand why we

have to dock there, but it seems awfully expensive and inconvenient. Are taxis our

best way to go? Are there any shuttles available even to the train station? I've read

that the taxis take American credit cards, but is that a viable choice for payment?

As you are a resident and not a tourist, I don't know how much information you have

regarding sailing from Freeport instead of the wonderful pier with shops etc.

Thanks for all your help to everyone.

Mimi

Fortunately, you do not have to go through 53 pages to find your answer. if you just use the search function and type in freeport transportation you will probably get your answer.

the short answer is that I can't help you since I have no idea if you're able to walk, how much luggage you have, or what other modes of transportation you'd consider.

This topic has been covered extensively several times on this thread - so maybe running a search first and if you can't find what you need - coming back and giving me a bit more details as to what you and your party consist of, etc. i can help a bit more.

Over the past three months I think Ive read almost everything posted on this huge forum. Cruising Europe and Danish Viking have done a great job. Ive been to Europe a few times, but I still sometimes get confused about the mass transit system ( Here almost anything larger than a pickup truck is considered mass transit). Just kidding. Could someone please tell me if the following is correct. The buses, the S trains, and the Metro all share the same ticket system. The fares are determine by the fare zones your traveling thru or you can get a 24 hour pass for around 110 DDK. Also should you want to leave the city there are Regional trains that serve the areas outside the city.

Over the past three months I think Ive read almost everything posted on this huge forum. Cruising Europe and Danish Viking have done a great job. Ive been to Europe a few times, but I still sometimes get confused about the mass transit system ( Here almost anything larger than a pickup truck is considered mass transit). Just kidding. Could someone please tell me if the following is correct. The buses, the S trains, and the Metro all share the same ticket system. The fares are determine by the fare zones your traveling thru or you can get a 24 hour pass for around 110 DDK. Also should you want to leave the city there are Regional trains that serve the areas outside the city.

What is the difference between the S Trains and the Metro? Which one will we be able to pick up at the airport?

Thanks,

The Metro is more like a subway. Difference between S Train and Metro is simply different routes, and metro is underground. At the airport, it's not so much which train, S-Train vs. Metro, but which route do you need. Are you going to the main central train station, Kobenhvn H? If so, there's only one line between the airport and Kobenhavn H, the main and central station. Just take the train going in that direction, signs should be posted. The time between the Airport and Kobenhavn H is 13 min.

The Metro is more like a subway. Difference between S Train and Metro is simply different routes, and metro is underground. At the airport, it's not so much which train, S-Train vs. Metro, but which route do you need. Are you going to the main central train station, Kobenhvn H? If so, there's only one line between the airport and Kobenhavn H, the main and central station. Just take the train going in that direction, signs should be posted. The time between the Airport and Kobenhavn H is 13 min.

Yes we will be going to the Central Station which is close to our hotel.

Thanks for the info.

Tivoli is nothing at all like Disneyland. As I mentioned before, and will keep mentioning, Tivoli is much more than an amusement park. The history is fun & fascinating and it's a gorgeous park that just happens to have amusement rides. if you abhor amusement parks - then don't go ... but if you are interested in history and culture - it's a must see.

Do NOT assume Tivoli is just another boring and/or average amusement park. This park is a joy for adults with lots of food places, music, eye candy, dancing shows, gardens, interesting architecture, people watching, etc., etc. We were there on a sunny Sunday in late July 2008. Below is a little visual sample. Words can say it, but the pictures give you a sampling of its culture, charm and beauty. You don't have to be a kid to like it. It's for all ages and tastes.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

1A-Copenh-TivoliEntr.jpg

1A-Copenhagen-TivoliB.jpg

1A-Copenh-TivBldgMusic.jpg

1A-Copenh-TivSkyRide.jpg

1A-Copenh-TivDining.jpg

1A-Copenh-TivRolCoasters.jpg

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

We are flying in Copenhagen by SAS at 7:30 am on June 12th. Our cruise departs at 5 pm. We want to see the city for 3-4 hr on tour bus or taxi. The PROBLEM is that we carry 4-5 bags. Any advice?

Thank you, Edward

CruisinEurope and Danish Viking

Thank you for all your helpful information it has made planning so much easier and enjoyable.

I have 2 questions that I haven't found the answer to ( have worked my way through most of this thread and tried the search)

1. Ideally, we would like to visit the Tivoli at about 3 in the afternoon when most of the rides start but would then like to leave and return to our ship for a little bit of a rest and something to eat but return to Tivoli for the evening - see the lights , do some more rides etc. My understanding from the Tivoli website is that if you leave the park you have to purchase a new ticket if you wish to re-enter. Is there no way we can leave and then return? I know in the UK often parks etc will stamp your hand or similar to allow you to do this. We will be there beginning of August and are planning to buy the multi ride tickets for the children aswell as the entrance ticket.

2. Having looked at the public transport route planner there does not appear to be buses that return from Tivoli to Langeline later in the evening - is this correct? If so I guess that means we need to take a taxi - do you have any idea how much that is likely to cost?

THank you for all your help

I am looking for some advice. My wife and I are staying at the Marriot in Copenhagen. And, I was wondering what is the best way to get to the port. Subway or Bus? Also, I have read that bus 26 or 28 takes you to the port. Is that correct?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

:D

I have been trying to read postings and have not found out if in Copenhagen there are people or a visitor web site where you can find about volunteers to show visitors around your city. (Retired people or teachers on vocation) This program is in NYC and Chicago that I know about it is though the visitors centers. Can you help?

Sorry for my inactivity but i just moved away from home for the first time but i just got connection to the almighty internet yesterday after almost 2 weeks without it.

@ edwarddantsker

Just take the train to the Central station from the airport at use the luggage boxes at the Central station.

The Central station is just located outside downtown Copenhagen.

@ smileon

Yes you have to pay again because you don´t get a stamp or something like that but try got send them a e-mail with this question.

The latest bus to Langelinie is around 19:00 but later it just runs to Indiakaj that is the road leading to Langelinie.

@ cruisinfan01

bus number 26 reach langelinie all days but you can NOT get to the freeport terminal in the weekends.

You can take the bus from the central station or Town hall square.¨

I do love public transportation but from marriott i think that it would be best to take a taxi.

@ 515kitty

I don´t know if it is this that you are talking about but give it a try.

http://www.guides.dk/2-59-english.html

I read to expect some closings on June 5, Constitution Day, but wonder if public transportation will be reduced as well? If so, what is the best way to get around? We were planning on taking public buses from the pier to the Carlsberg museum and the Rosenborg castle (providing they are open).

Could someone tell us how to get from:

A. the Langline pier to the museum

B. the museum to the castle

C. the castle to the harbor

D. the harbor to the pier

Thank you!

I read to expect some closings on June 5, Constitution Day, but wonder if public transportation will be reduced as well? If so, what is the best way to get around? We were planning on taking public buses from the pier to the Carlsberg museum and the Rosenborg castle (providing they are open).

Could someone tell us how to get from:

A. the Langline pier to the museum

B. the museum to the castle

C. the castle to the harbor

D. the harbor to the pier

Thank you!

Just discovered that the Carlsberg museum is closed! So, now, A. should read how to get from the pier to the castle?

We are flying in Copenhagen by SAS at 7:30 am on June 12th. Our cruise departs at 5 pm. We want to see the city for 3-4 hr on tour bus or taxi. The PROBLEM is that we carry 4-5 bags. Any advice?

Thank you, Edward

For how many people? You should be able to get a taxi as big as a "people mover" (mini-van), if you book in advance. If it's just the two of you with that many bags (like it would be with my wife and I) you should also be able to get a good sized station wagon or "crossover" type SUV.

CruisinEurope and Danish Viking have been incredibly helpful - THANKS! I have a scheduling question. We'll be on the Jewel on Sun May 24 from 9am to 5:30pm (sails at 6pm). We have two kids in their late teens and we want to do: HOHO bus, Canal Tour, Ice Bar, and Tivoli. Can we do it all and how should we schedule? Should we do anything additional, or different? We have reservations for Ice Bar at 3pm (the latest available) but now we're thinking we should go to Ice Bar earlier and Tivoli last. If so, what's the best way to get from Tivoli to the ship at the last minute?

CruisinEurope and Danish Viking have been incredibly helpful - THANKS! I have a scheduling question. We'll be on the Jewel on Sun May 24 from 9am to 5:30pm (sails at 6pm). We have two kids in their late teens and we want to do: HOHO bus, Canal Tour, Ice Bar, and Tivoli. Can we do it all and how should we schedule? Should we do anything additional, or different? We have reservations for Ice Bar at 3pm (the latest available) but now we're thinking we should go to Ice Bar earlier and Tivoli last. If so, what's the best way to get from Tivoli to the ship at the last minute?

9am - 11:30am - HOHO w. a stop for photos at Amalienborg & Rosenborg

11:30 - 2:30 - Tivoli

3 - 4pm - Ice Bar (I think the reservations are only 1/2 hour though.. so this builds in travel time to get back to Nyhavn for the canal tour)

4 - 5 - canal tour

Enjoy!

Just got back from Baltic Cruise on Constellation - and found that ice bar did not open until 5 pm. ? Maybe it opens later when you'll be there. Cost was about $30 US for entrance and one drink.

We took a bus from Tivoli (from the town square) and it took about 30 minutes - if you add together the wait for the bus and the trip itself. We were docked at Langerline pier.

Archived