I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hello, and thanks to you all for the great help!

We booked the Radisson SAS Royal for our precruise evening, plan to see Tivoli etc in the area.

For our post cruise, we were thinking of staying a little closer to Rosenborg area. The Adina looks as if it is a little farther away from things? Have also considered the Admiral but it is more costly, so am looking at the Strand. They look to be close to a lot of places we plan to see on our two full days. Any thoughts from those who live in Copenhagen?

Thank you!

Hello, and thanks to you all for the great help!

We booked the Radisson SAS Royal for our precruise evening, plan to see Tivoli etc in the area.

For our post cruise, we were thinking of staying a little closer to Rosenborg area. The Adina looks as if it is a little farther away from things? Have also considered the Admiral but it is more costly, so am looking at the Strand. They look to be close to a lot of places we plan to see on our two full days. Any thoughts from those who live in Copenhagen?

Thank you!

since CPH is so compact, you're never too far from anything.... making most hotels decent choices.

The Adina is great, especially for those on a budget... and you are just a block from the Osterport metro station.

I don't have any first hand info on the Strand.

I also like the Square Hotel which is right on Radhusplatsen.

You have to go further north to sweden and norway to see the 24 hour daylight so you will see the lights at Tivoli.

The times for the Illuminati lightshow in july is 23:30 and friday and saturday is 00:15.

According to Tivolis website the fireworks is only 8th of april, 15th of august and 20th of september.

This is a great thread, and thanks for all your answers. I have a few questions:

1. What is the Illuminati lightshow? Is it different from what people say is the lighting at Tivoli in the evenings? How long is the show? Is there an extra ticket for it? Is it worth staying up that late for (we would have arrived in Copenhagen from the US the same morning, so we would have a jet lag)?

2. On our second day in Copenhagen (which is the day our ship Emerald Princess leaves), we were thinking of checking in to the ship around 12 noon, having a quick lunch, then coming back out and taking the canal tour. Can you tell us how far it is from where the Emerald Princess docks in Langelinie to the starting point for the canal tours? We were hoping to walk the distance, then walk back after the tour. Is this doable?

@ jrkfrk

I posted this on a email to Heinbloed but i think yhat you can use the information aswell

I found this on the web about Smørrebrød.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/content/press/press_information/gastronomy_night_life/danish_dining

Lunchtime, Danish style

But for those wishing to taste a truly unique Danish food experience, the best time is at lunch when the unique smørrebrød (literally 'butter bread', or open sandwich), is served. Smørrebrød is a daily staple for many Danes, and a truly classic taste of the nation's traditional cuisine. Invariably based on rye bread (although smoked salmon should always be served on white bread), smørrebrød can have an almost limitless number of different toppings, from herring, to raw beef, seafood and egg. Smørrebrød dates back to the 19th century when, for many agricultural workers, lunch was the main meal of the day. It began when bread was used to wipe the plates clean of any remaining food, eventually, the food was placed on the bread in stead as topping.

Royal Copenhagen has undergone a facelift and re-opens a totally refurbished flagship store halfway on Strøget, the pedestrian street. Latest addition to this porcelain universe is The Royal Café. Here, in beautiful serene surroundings, you can have a "smushi" - the idea of sushi, but the taste of ‘smørrebrød' i.e. sandwich. The choice of smushi is changed according to the four seasons and they are served on different kinds of porecelain design.

"Smushi" has now been introduced as a separate subject at the Copenhagen Hotel- and Restaurant School.

At the world famous lunch restaurant, Ida Davidsen, the choice of Smørrebrød is so vast that the menu is two meters long. Another great restaurant for smørrebrød (open-faced sandwiches) is the Slotskælderen hos Gitte Kik, across from the Danish parliament building. Needless to say, this is popular with Danish politicians. Lumskebugten near the Gefion Fountain and the harbour, with a maritime interior and Restaurant Skt. Annæ,not far from the Royal Palace, are experts in this Danish speciality as well.

In Nyhavn, the small canal leading up to Kongens Nytorv, the Nyhavns Færgekro among other types, specializes in sandwiches with many different versions of pickled, fried and smoked herring. The lunch place for herring lovers!

@ UPr123

The illuminati is a lightshow performed down by the Tivoli lake, i did found it beautiful but i don´t know if is worth seeing if you are very tired but if you are at Tivoli at that time then it is worth checking out.

There is no extra fee for seeing this show and i think that it last for 10-15 minutes or so.

According to cmport.com the Emerald is docked at the freeport terminal so i don´t think that it a walk is doable.

hi my daughter(12 yrs old):D and myself will be arriving in Copenhagen for one day in August, on our cruise of the baltics.

How far is Tivoli Gardens from the port, and how long would you normally spend here, also where else would you recommend we go to in the limited time we have:)

Thank you all for such an informative thread! I hope you can help answer a new question from me. My friends and I (eight of us) are thinking of taking the train to Fredensborg Castle on July 15th to attend the "Castle Concert" at 5:30 p.m. (http://www.castleconcerts.dk/). Assuming we can disembark from the Emerald Princess and check into the the Ascot Hotel by noon that day, do you think it would be possible to visit both Fredensborg and Frederiksborg on the same day, or would that be too rushed?

Does Copenhagen have limosine services, as opposed to taxis, that several couples can book in advance for transportation to the airport on disembarkation day? I've found in other cities that these services can be booked in advance for those with early AM flights and at a less expensive price.

Thanks Christie

Does Copenhagen have limosine services, as opposed to taxis, that several couples can book in advance for transportation to the airport on disembarkation day? I've found in other cities that these services can be booked in advance for those with early AM flights and at a less expensive price.

Thanks Christie

Try these websites which may have vehicles to accommodate larger numbers.

http://www.vest-taxa.dk/ http://www.codantaxi.dk/

At first use. So I would start to use it ASAP on the first day and then save any "free stuff" for the afternoon of the second day. What days are you there anyhow - there are attraction closings to be concerned about if you're there on either a Monday or Tuesday.

We will be arriving on Tuesday morning August 18. What attractions are closed on Tuesdays? Our cruise on Regent Voyager departs on August 21.

Thanks,

Erica :)

OK, my eyes are glazing over after pouring through so many web sites and threads and I'm still not sure about the answer!

From Copenhagen Airport, can one take the train to the main rail station? We were planning on walking from there to the Marriott. Is the cost of this transporation included in the Copenhagen card?

I know the answers are in here someplace but I can't find it!

Thank you!

OK, my eyes are glazing over after pouring through so many web sites and threads and I'm still not sure about the answer!

From Copenhagen Airport, can one take the train to the main rail station? We were planning on walking from there to the Marriott. Is the cost of this transporation included in the Copenhagen card?

Thank you!

Yes you can take the train from the airport to the central train station and it is covered by the CPH Card. It might be a bit of a walk to the Marriott from there, especially with luggage. However, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will also respond.

http://online.citybreak.com/Search/Other/SearchOther.aspx?pdid=4525&onlineid=1459618727

Thank you!

there is some info at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1015806

My husband and I will be heading directly from Freeport to the CPH airport to catch a flight at the end of our cruise. HAL charges $44 per person for airport transportation. Are we better off just taking a taxi at the terminal? Are there always taxi's waiting at Freeport? The ship disembarks at 7am and we have a noon flight. I'm not sure how far away they are from each other.

Thank you!

Shirley

I don't think anyone's answered the question posed above. I have the same question. Can anyone help?

Hellooo again, i have been away for a week because i was at the Roskilde Festival but now i am back to catch up on all the questions.

@ elapatrice

How long are you in port and what ship is it.

@ singingbell

I think that it would be a little bit rushed because you will be at Hillerød around 14:00 (if you leave around 13:00 from Copenhagen) and the concert will start at 16:00.

@ savannahrose

www.cphlimo.dk

www.limo4u.dk

www.starlimo.dk

www.cosmolimo.dk

www.as-limo.dk

@ watercolorartist

All museums are open on tuesdays so do not think about that.

@ stonewell

Here is a link to all 21 seafood restaurants in Copenhagen.

http://www.aok.dk/custom_search/list/sections%3A2%3Bterms6%3A109&limit=25

From this list i would pick Kødbyens Fiskebar, Lumskebugten, Restaurant Gammel Mønt, Boutique Fisk and Acquamarina.

@ jc foster

Yes Metro line M2 was extended to the airport in december 2007.

I would personnally like to send a BIG THANK YOU to Danish Viking for all the time put in to answering all our questions. We just returned from our cruise and thanks to all the great information we had a wonderful time and for us our trip to Ringsted area was wonderful thanks to your information. To future cruisers don't hesitate to explore on your own and see what the locals do. Thanks again Ron & Barb

Hellooo again, i have been away for a week because i was at the Roskilde Festival but now i am back to catch up on all the questions.

@ elapatrice

How long are you in port and what ship is it.

@ singingbell

I think that it would be a little bit rushed because you will be at Hillerød around 14:00 (if you leave around 13:00 from Copenhagen) and the concert will start at 16:00.

@ savannahrose

www.cphlimo.dk

www.limo4u.dk

www.starlimo.dk

www.cosmolimo.dk

www.as-limo.dk

@ watercolorartist

All museums are open on tuesdays so do not think about that.

@ stonewell

Here is a link to all 21 seafood restaurants in Copenhagen.

http://www.aok.dk/custom_search/list/sections%3A2%3Bterms6%3A109&limit=25

From this list i would pick Kødbyens Fiskebar, Lumskebugten, Restaurant Gammel Mønt, Boutique Fisk and Acquamarina.

@ jc foster

Yes Metro line M2 was extended to the airport in december 2007.

Thanks for all the information you have given us over the last several months.

Our question is concerning Denmark's policy concerning prescription medication.

At this time we know nothing and will be staying about 5 days South of

Copenhagen before we leave on the ship Sept 13, 2009.

Thanks again.

Kenai Kids

kenai.alaska@yahoo.com

What are the local authorities and media saying about the Swine Flu on the Emerald Princess? It has 5 more cases of Swine Flu with its crew right now and this is after 13 cases last week. Are they going to let it dock again on the 15th and is there any talk about how they are cleaning the ship?

@ Kenai Kids

I think that you need to get in Contact with the danish or american ministry of foreign affairs.

@ ang144

Surprisingly nothing here is beeing rapported so its not a big deal for the danish meda atleast.

@ jb12

You can get allkind of weather in the start of september but it used to get pretty warm with temperatures around 16-20 degrees and nice and sunny weather, but last year it was a little bit cold with around 13-15 degrees.

it will start to get dark around 19-20 pm so you can enjoy the lights at Tivoli earlier than in the summer.

@ ubet13

They just stands on a rack and you drop the coin in to get the bike.

But i have never seen a rack near Nyhavn but that is not the same as there is no one.

Archived