Cruising in 2 weeks and mom might need to cancel

whale-watcher

We are sailing in just over 2 weeks on the Tahitian Princess (DW and DS1 in one cabin, Myself and DS2 in a second cabin, and Mom and DD in a third cabin), and mom just called saying that she is not feeling well (84 years old with many medical issues) and doen't think she will be up to going on the cruise :eek:

Fortunately, mom has insurance (princess care gold, so she can use a large percentage of her cruise fare towards a future cruise even if she does not qualify for medical reasons), but...

:confused: will DD still be allowed to cruise solo in the cabin (she is 17, and the cabin is right next door to the other two), or do we need to be finding another adult to join us on the cruise and attempt a name change instead (not an easy task last minute, although there are a few possibilities)...

I will be calling my TA first thing in the morning to confirm our options, but I am hoping for some reassuring advice to help me sleep tonight!

thanks in advance...

As long as the cabin is right next to the parent's cabin, there is not a problem that I am aware of. I know when we traveled with my daughters when they were younger, we had them all in one cabin and we were in another right next door.

If one person stays in the cabin then the solo rate 200% will be charged so be prepared for that. They won't refund the one fare and let someone else stay in the cabin for half the price. Being 17 they may have you shift people around. :)

We can't do any additional shifting, as DW is in the cabin with our 9yo son, and I am in the cabin with our 15yo son, and I know that they will be too young to be solo.

I remember hearing or reading that kids older than 16 can be in a cabin near/next door to an adult, so I am hoping that will be the case.

I wasn't sure how the insurance worked if only one member of a cabin needs to cancel, but I thought that it did not affect the fare of the remaining member if the cancellation is for a covered medical reason?

am hoping that will be the case.

I wasn't sure how the insurance worked if only one member of a cabin needs to cancel, but I thought that it did not affect the fare of the remaining member if the cancellation is for a covered medical reason?

May be so, but I would be prepared for the worst as I think a lot of people would book 2 then cancel 1 so that a person could travel for one fare. :)

Good luck.

We can't do any additional shifting, as DW is in the cabin with our 9yo son, and I am in the cabin with our 15yo son, and I know that they will be too young to be solo.

I remember hearing or reading that kids older than 16 can be in a cabin near/next door to an adult, so I am hoping that will be the case.

I am sorry your mother is not feeling well - I hope she feels better soon.:)

I am very interested in what happens - please come back and let us know what happens. Best of luck!

May be so, but I would be prepared for the worst as I think a lot of people would book 2 then cancel 1 so that a person could travel for one fare. :)

Good luck.

never thought about that...I had never considered the option of just one person in a cabin needing to cancel. It would probably be financially better to try for a name change, but I am hoping to keep mom's options open, so might just leave her name on the booking and hope she feels up to travel; our main concern is that DD will still be allowed to travel even if mom does not; financial concerns are secondary (although substantial, especially for a two week cruise). Thanks for your input...it is helpful information to know.

I am sorry your mother is not feeling well - I hope she feels better soon.:)

I am very interested in what happens - please come back and let us know what happens. Best of luck!

Thanks. We already switched to this cruise from a Holy Land itinerary during the same time period because of Mom's health, but thought she would be able to handle the shorter flights and cooler temperatures of Alaska. I will post whatever I learn from my TA tomorrow.

I read about a similar situation a few months ago, where 2 friends were sharing a room, one friend had to cancel because her son was extemely sick. Insurance covered this situation so that the remaining cruiser who was now "solo" in the room, did not have to pay any more.

I am not sure about the rules re a 17 year old "solo".

Good luck!

From thepassage contact "5. AGE REQUIREMENTS; DRINKING AGE; GAMING AGE; ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES.

The minimum Passenger age is 6 months on Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Trans-canal and Australia/New Zealand cruises, and 12 months on all other cruises. Passengers under the age of 21 years must be accompanied by a Passenger 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. Each Passenger hereby agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any Passenger in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Passengers under their supervision."

The wording "supervise...at all times" has replaced the straight requirment of one 21 year old to be booked in each cabin.

If our 17yo DD is able to be in the room solo, we might opt to do nothing at all so that mom still has the option to join us if she changes her mind next week...I have already paid mom's cruise fare, so I would not be out any additional by doing this (as long as it is allowed), and mom could wait until the very last minute to see how she was feeling before deciding what to do.

I am fairly certain we are still well within the name change period as well, but then I would need to come up with last minute flights to Vancouver, and mom would have no option of joining us, even if she feels better next week...

Thanks. We already switched to this cruise from a Holy Land itinerary during the same time period because of Mom's health, but thought she would be able to handle the shorter flights and cooler temperatures of Alaska. I will post whatever I learn from my TA tomorrow.

We are traveling with parents in their 80's and we booked almost a year out. We just keep a positive thought that nothing happens that would cause us to have to cancel. Both The Holy Lands and Alaska are great but I hope at some point you can rebook your Holy Land cruise as it is the experience of a life time.

I read about a similar situation a few months ago, where 2 friends were sharing a room, one friend had to cancel because her son was extemely sick. Insurance covered this situation so that the remaining cruiser who was now "solo" in the room, did not have to pay any more.

I am not sure about the rules re a 17 year old "solo".

Good luck!

That is the way I understand it works. You will not be charged for an additional fare. The insurance will cover this for you.

I too am not sure how Princess will handle your DD alone in a cabin.

Please let us know what happens. I hope it all works out.

Here's what I learned...

It is fine for DD to be in a cabin solo at age 17 as long as we are next door

She WOULD need to pay the single fare if mom cancels and is reimbursed for her cruise fare (or given future cruise credit) by princess insurance.

The BEST option (if mom decides not to cruise) would be for another person to take mom's place...there is only a minimal charge for a name change, and DD's cruise fare would not increase.

Mom is feeling a little better today:) , so all of this worrying was probably for nothing :) , but we do have a family friend who might be able to take her place in the cabin if mom ends up staying home.

Thanks for all the kind words of support!

If one person stays in the cabin then the solo rate 200% will be charged so be prepared for that. They won't refund the one fare and let someone else stay in the cabin for half the price. Being 17 they may have you shift people around. :)

I know on our cruise next week, my daughters can now "officially" stay in the same room because the oldest is 18. Previously, DW or me had to be listed on the room and then do the re-arranging once on-board. What Colo Cruiser say is a large possibility. The single person may have to pay extra now.

Good luck to you. I hope this all works out for you and enjoy your cruise.

She WOULD need to pay the single fare if mom cancels and is reimbursed for her cruise fare (or given future cruise credit) by princess insurance.
This may not be correct in all cases; it would depend on whether or not your daughter took out insurance and the reason for your Mom's cancellation. Princess insurance normally covers the cost of an increased fare due to a travelling partner's cancellation for a covered reason. IF your mother ends up cancelling for a covered medical reason AND your daughter purchased insurance, they would both be re-imbursed.

The 2008 Cruise answer book says "for families booking multiple staterooms, children may still occupy a stateroom without their parents or guardians, provided one child in the stateroom is a minimum of 16 years of age."

You probably will be required to pay the increased solo fare.

Hope this helps ease your mind :)

Good news...Mom is MUCH better today, and thinks a nice relaxing Alaska cruise is exactly what she needs...

Because she would have been using the "cancel for any reason" option, I think we would have been responsible for a single pax fare for DD's cabin. Not sure about the medical waiver...switching names on the cabin would have been the most cost effective and easiest option overall, however, but fortunately we don't have to worry about that now!

Good news...Mom is MUCH better today, and thinks a nice relaxing Alaska cruise is exactly what she needs...

Because she would have been using the "cancel for any reason" option, I think we would have been responsible for a single pax fare for DD's cabin. Not sure about the medical waiver...switching names on the cabin would have been the most cost effective and easiest option overall, however, but fortunately we don't have to worry about that now!

Glad to hear. :)

To bad you did not get a diffinitive answer from Princess on this.

When you say a single passenger fare for DD's cabin are you saying the single rate at 200%? :confused:

Glad to hear. :)

To bad you did not get a diffinitive answer from Princess on this.

When you say a single passenger fare for DD's cabin are you saying the single rate at 200%? :confused:

that is correct...if mom were to cancel for a non-covered reason, and take her 90% credit for a future cruise, DD could stay in to cabin as a solo (as long as she is older than 16 with an adult nearby), but would need to pay whatever the going fare would be for a single pax in a cabin (which would have been actually more than double the single fare she is paying now). It might be different if a person cancels for a covered reason, or if the roommate did not cash in on their insurance claim, but this is how it would work with princess care gold, at least.

Finding a new roomate is a much better option (financially, at least).

that is correct...if mom were to cancel for a non-covered reason, and take her 90% credit for a future cruise, DD could stay in to cabin as a solo (as long as she is older than 16 with an adult nearby), but would need to pay whatever the going fare would be for a single pax in a cabin (which would have been actually more than double the single fare she is paying now). It might be different if a person cancels for a covered reason, or if the roommate did not cash in on their insurance claim, but this is how it would work with princess care gold, at least.

Finding a new roomate is a much better option (financially, at least).

That's not insurance if the cruise cost increases for the remaining passenger. This doesn't seem right to me.

Archived