The pitfalls of not wearing pantyhose....

Cruzfan34

I have a story. :D

DH and I went to a dance recital last weekend. It was in the evening, so I wanted to wear a nice dress. I have this dress from Victoria's Secret....

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/application?namespace=moreInfo&prnbr=8P-209489&cgnbr=OSCLODRSBLK&moreInfoInd=largeView&dispMode=STANDARD&buttonClicked=btn_lg_view&selColor=

I knew I would be shunned if I *gasp* wore pantyhose with it, which I don't wear in the summer anyway. But I couldn't wear panties with it because the dress fits very close and even panties that aren't supposed to show, showed a line through the dress. I tried everything. So....I had to go without undies. It felt really breezy out there. :eek:

So...I couldn't wear pantyhose, but I also couldn't wear panties because of the hideous panty line. Very nice. I felt so cheap. :(

BTW...I also have that dress in black. I can wear panties with the black one....maybe because of the color. LOL.

http://www.hipundies.com/Commando-Intimates-Thong-Panties

I'd definitely opt for a seamless panty of some sort. C'mon--even pantyhose are going to give you a line somewhere as well (like around the waist) if it's not seamless...And if you can find pantyhose that don't show, you can find panties that don't show either;)

I can understand what the op is saying. It isn't necessiarly the seam. Any underwear (thong included) under that dress would probably show, just because of the type of fabric and that it's clingly. So seemless or not, you'd probably still see the outline of the underwear.

So hey, nothing wrong w/being a little "free" for the evening - at least the dress wasn't short.:eek:

There are some nice seamless panties -thong style-that will not show under anything! Since there are no seams or elastic, the thong is quite comfortable--you can't even feel it!

I have thongs from VS that are supposed to be invisible under anything...not so. I could see it. It wasn't a distinct line, but I could see it. Maybe other people may not have noticed..but I was looking for a line. :rolleyes:

abba_dabba_doo...you're right. If the dress were short, I would have had to wear panties. I wouldn't have gone without them with a shorter hemline. I just felt so ...conspicuous.

Schweet dress Cruzfan!

abba dabba is right. There are some fashions that will reveal anything worn beneath - due, simply, to the nature and drape of the fabric. Seamless, commando, and thong panties work most of the time but sometimes even those stealthy articles can't get it done.

Alas, another opportunity to plug Pert. Not for everyone, but the only foundtion garment that absolutely, positively, 100% eliminates panty lines from behind.

BTW, nothing wrong with going without. I hear it's quite liberating and what a delicious way to tease your man.:D

Rep

OK, I can get that you would be able to see any sort of panty or thong worn with that dress. But how would pantyhose have been any different (had the weather been cool)? That's where you lose me!:p

DH and I went to a dance recital last weekend. It was in the evening, so I wanted to wear a nice dress. I have this dress from Victoria's Secret....

http://www2.victoriassecret.com/commerce/application?namespace=moreInfo&prnbr=8P-209489&cgnbr=OSCLODRSBLK&moreInfoInd=largeView&dispMode=STANDARD&buttonClicked=btn_lg_view&selColor=

I knew I would be shunned if I *gasp* wore pantyhose with it, which I don't wear in the summer anyway. But I couldn't wear panties with it because the dress fits very close and even panties that aren't supposed to show, showed a line through the dress. I tried everything. So....I had to go without undies. It felt really breezy out there. :eek:

So...I couldn't wear pantyhose, but I also couldn't wear panties because of the hideous panty line. Very nice. I felt so cheap. :(

BTW...I also have that dress in black. I can wear panties with the black one....maybe because of the color. LOL.

That is definitely a commando dress.

Hose would have looked out of line with that dress. The shape and the fabric scream, "cool, youthful, hip" while hose scream, "dowdy, matronly".

OK, I can get that you would be able to see any sort of panty or thong worn with that dress. But how would pantyhose have been any different (had the weather been cool)? That's where you lose me!:p

Because I used to wear hose with no undies and it was smmmoooth. I feel like I have to wear something, but with that dress it was impossible. The hose without panties thing would have worked perfectly. :)

cruzfan34,

so i gather that you didn't wear a bra either, because the outline would show?

I wasn't really worried about the bra. I think it's all common knowledge that panty lines are what women don't want showing.;)

I don't get it. Pantyhose have a waistband the same than panties do--how is that smoooooth?

Because there's no panty line????? I'm not worried about the waistband of pantyhose..I've never had a problem in that area.

Ah, we see things differently--panties have 3 lines in my point of view--esp. with a dress & not pants (where the waistband of the pants obscures the waistband of the panties). But then, I never ever wear pantyhose so I don't tend to think about how many lines they might or might not have....

Ah, we see things differently--panties have 3 lines in my point of view--esp. with a dress & not pants (where the waistband of the pants obscures the waistband of the panties). But then, I never ever wear pantyhose so I don't tend to think about how many lines they might or might not have....

I agree with you. Pantyhose have FAR worse lines, with a dress, than panties do, unless you have an 18" waist, that elastic band always shows a line. (I only wear them when I have to - I hate lines).

I also have to say that the OP needs to shop for some new panties!! I have some that WILL NOT SHOW a line...even with a slinky dress. They do exist.

Good point..what's the big deal if a panty line shows versus your bra line showing? I have seen some people look by far worse when they don't wear panties and they would have done everyone a favor if they wore panties (and a bra or dress that fit them in a flattering style also!)

cruzfan34,

so i gather that you didn't wear a bra either, because the outline would show?

Agreed!

How many times (not this particular posting site) have you seen a woman posting a picture of herself in a dress and nobody has the heart (or the guts) to tell her the style is not flattering on her? It's like when you ask your husband "do I look fat in this?"..and you think you do, and he doesn't DARE tell you that you look fat in it lest he get clonked on the head. Everyone always ignores giving an opinion and instead comments on how pretty her eyes are, or the shoes, etc. PEOPLE BE REAL!

I may be wrong, but I'd guess if you do have the figure to wear the dress, panty lines are probably not an issue. I don't know how bodyshapers (a.k.a. "girdles") work, but aren't those made for those kinds of dresses?

My only comment is that if you wear that dress, you'd better have the shape for it!

My only comment is that if you wear that dress, you'd better have the shape for it!

Not to be "full of myself" but I have the shape for it. I'm a size 2. I'm 5' 2" and 110 lbs. :p

And I completely disagree with the comment of not having panty line problems if you have a good figure. Come on...it's panty lines. They don't discriminate. :rolleyes:

Also...you know, I didn't start this thread to argue with people. It was just a funny story (I thought) about not being able to wear pantyhose anymore because it's thought to be tacky to wear them with open-toe shoes....so I didn't wear them and I had to go without panties because of the lines. I'm not overweight, nor do I have a bad figure. They were panty lines.

I don't need to shop for new panties, nor do I need to defend myself about why I wasn't worried about bra lines. If it helps some of you to post snide remarks just to feel better about yourselves, go right ahead. :)

I'm done with this thread, so whatever further posts you make will go unread by me. :D

This is a job for Spanx!

Archived