Yet Another Baggage Fee

afcj1

I just received an email from United regarding a new fee of $15.00 for the 1st bag checked, if you fly Economy. This desn't apply to international/overseas flights. I bet most ppl will be trying to stow carry-on in the overheads, patience will be at a minimum and flights will departing late, due to bags needing to be checked at the gate.

"Before your next trip with us, we would like you to know

about changes to our checked baggage policy and revised fees

for excess, overweight, oversized baggage and special items,

effective for travel on or after August 18, 2008.

If you purchase a United Economy® ticket on or after

June 13, 2008 for travel on or after August 18, 2008, a $15

service fee will apply, each way, to check your first piece

of baggage. This fee applies to travel within the United

States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

As previously announced, a $25 fee will apply to check a

second bag when flying on a ticket purchased on or after

February 4, 2008. Please refer to the chart below to see

which checked baggage fees may apply to you."

Just a fine example of insult to injury......all it is is a hidden fuel charge.

It didn't take long. US Airways is now doing so as well and $2 for soft drinks. My next three cruises are out of Jacksonville and two out of Port Canaveral. I still want to cruise, and it looks like I will be driving to the ports instead of flying.

If people dont want to pay more overall, it gives the airlines little choice. They are hitting the economy booking. If you are booking first class or business they arent charging for extra baggage at all, just for the low priced seats who are resisting upping the price.

The alternative is to have a lot more airlines going bankrupt. pay the extra charge and be happy you still have a airline to fly on you can afford. If more airlines go out of business with less competition the airlines will be able to turn a profit by hiking the fares finally to where they are profitable. Something has to give.

I agree with firefly. Overhead compartment space will be at a premium. Soon you'll only be allowed only one piece of carry on, instead of a carry on plus a purse, briefcase, laptop, or small backpack.

It didn't take long. US Airways is now doing so as well and $2 for soft drinks. My next three cruises are out of Jacksonville and two out of Port Canaveral. I still want to cruise, and it looks like I will be driving to the ports instead of flying.

I believe US Airways changes take effect August 1st. Along with the $2 charge for sodas and water I believe alcoholic drinks jump from $5 to $7.

Yep, and I'm sure there will be other airlines following soon.:(
Had to happen!

CNN.com's news this morning is this........................

United Airlines and US Airways have joined American Airlines

in charging passengers to check bags on certain flights.

art.united1.gi.jpg

Passengers check in at the United Airlines counter

at the Miami International Airport Thursday in Miami, Florida.

Citing higher fuel prices,

United Airlines said Thursday it will begin charging domestic passengers $15 each way for one checked bag.

The Chicago, Illinois-based airline said the fee to check a second bag will be $25 each way.

The fee to check three or more bags, overweight bags or "items that require special handling"

will increase from $100 to $125 or from $200 to $250, depending on the item, United said in a statement.

The $15 charge will apply to customers who purchase a ticket on or after Friday for travel within the United States,

and who buy on or after August 18 a ticket to or from Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The $15 service fee will not apply to customers flying in United First or United Business

or who have premier status with United or Star Alliance airline network, the carrier said.

For itineraries that include international flights (except Canada)

checking a first and second bag will continue to be free, United said.

The cost to check more than two bags or items that are overweight or require special handling varies by destination.

US Airways, meanwhile, said it will begin charging passengers $15 for their first checked bag

for travel on or after July 9.

The airline said it also has recently started charging passengers $25 for second checked bags.

The new policy applies to flights in the United States

as well as flights to and from Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean.

..more..

-------------------------------

read the whole thing at URL...

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/06/13/airlines.bags/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Just wondering if anyone who booked their tickets prior to the first announcement of $25 charge for 2nd piece of luggage has flown yet and taken 2 pieces? What was your experience? United says that if you booked your ticket prior to the announcement in February that you could still bring two pieces free ~ just wondered what kind of hassle we will get at check in. We leave 7/25 and while I don't plan on all 4 of us taking a 2nd piece I can see at least one of us having a second piece. However to save having a huge hassle at the airport I will get everything into 4 bags total if I have to.

I agree with firefly. Overhead compartment space will be at a premium. Soon you'll only be allowed only one piece of carry on, instead of a carry on plus a purse, briefcase, laptop, or small backpack.

The next step is to limit carry on size to about 12x 12 x 6 and that is end of all the suitcases on the plane and that is probably coming soon. It sure would make getting on and off easier.

The next step is to limit carry on size to about 12x 12 x 6 and that is end of all the suitcases on the plane and that is probably coming soon. It sure would make getting on and off easier.

And much much faster!

My guess is that as passengers try to bring aboard all that they, in the past, would have checked ... airlines will downsize the allowable carryon policies in quantity, weight and size. If they do not do so in the immediate future, they certainly will be more pro-active in enforcing the existing carryon policy.

Archived