Oceania Ships- Differences & Vista Suites

Coastal Jewel

We've never cruised Oceania, but I like the European Voyages. Some simple questions for Oceania Cruisers:

What are the differences in the ships?

I think we would like the Vista Suite but cannot find an actual "floor plan" drawing of the configuration. The balconies look big, but no photos and it also looks like there are obstructions.

Re: PH Suites Does the 322 SF include the balcony?

"Best PH Suites and Vista Suites" Recommendations?

How well have the suites and common areas been maintained?

I received the 2009 Oceania European Collection catalog, but can't tell much by the brochure, so any comments/feedback much appreciated.

We went on the April, Rome to Athens, Insignia in a penthouse, 8010. We were pleasantly suprized at how roomy the penthouse was. We had read that they were very small but we felt there was plenty of room. Also, the closet and drawer space was more than adequate for us. The bathroom is small, but, neither of us felt that it was too small. My husband is 6'4" and he said the tub/shower combo was adequate and he is used to them being very cramped. We had stayed at the Hotel Intercontinental in Rome for a hefty price and our suite on the ship was larger.

This was our first cruise so we had nothing to compare to, but I must say, we loved it. We are completely spoiled by Oceania and I don't know if I even would chance going on another line. By the way, the beds are probably the best we've slept on while traveling.

Go to Oceania's web site for the layout of the Vista Suites as well as a virtual tour.

The balconies are large but they are somewhat obstructed by metal ribs that run from the roof-line down to the walls. The balconies on the Vista Suites also have solid walls instead of glass. The space inside the suites is great.

What are the differences in the ships?

I think we would like the Vista Suite but cannot find an actual "floor plan" drawing of the configuration. The balconies look big, but no photos and it also looks like there are obstructions.

Re: PH Suites Does the 322 SF include the balcony?

"Best PH Suites and Vista Suites" Recommendations?

How well have the suites and common areas been maintained?

Coastal Jewel,

The ships are all EXACTLY the same.

The Penthouse measurement of 322 sq. feet does include the Verandah.

This is a very accurate (down to furniture placement) 3D Diagram and a floorplan of a Vista Suite:

407fff57ed7b4.jpg5611124473742910_CABINCTOUT.gif

As you can see from the picture below, the bulkhead below the balcony railings on the Vista suites are solid metal, as the forward location is more exposed.

regatta.gif

The Owners Suites, which are located aft, have a silimar metal bulkhead, below the handrail height.

pic_oceania_header.jpg

The penthouse verandahs, which are located along either side of the ship, have glass below the balcony railings.

penthouse.jpg

In the Vista or Owners Suites, some people have an issue with not being able to see over the railing when they are seated, however that is the only obstruction.

We find the Oceania ships beautifully maintained, inside and out. The staff really does make an effort to keep the ships pristine .

Unfortunately, not every guest will conduct themselves in a manner befitting their surroundings. If you're aboard following somebody like that (you know the type), you may see the odd scratched countertop or chipped mirror, but all is made right again at the next refit!

Hope this helped!

I just want to say that having been in an Owner's Suite once and a Vista once, I'd opt for the Owner's if given the choice. The balcony is slightly larger (more of a wrap around) although the basic cabin is the same. BUT the main reason for preferring the OS is because of the noises you can hear in the VS when docking or leaving port. It was very noticeable in the Vista -- it woke us up most mornings. We never noticed in the Owner's Suite, which is aft. The Vistas are forward.

Both the OS and VS are significantly larger than a PH, especially in the bathrooms ... there is a second half bath as well as the huge master bath (including Jacuzzi) whereas a PH just has a tub/shower. But the PH is certainly very comfortable and generally the cabin we select. I love the suites, I'm just too tight to spend the extra money unless we can get a great deal! If money is no object, that's another thing entirely.

In the Visat Suite the bed is against the outside wall and the closet is completly different. The Owners the bed faces the rear deck as in your posting. .:) Not a big deal

Thanks everybody for feedback. We've cruised mass market, and the last two times on Regent, which we really like. We like the smaller ships and I am checking out options in the "premium" sector. Since we don't drink, we don't find the all-inclusive to be an incentive for us, and we end up tipping our steward and butler anyway. There is a significant price difference between Oceania and Regent, and being a frugal sort, we'd like to find a happy medium.

What we like:

Good Food

Room Service

Good service

Being able to eat when we want, and having a table for two when we want it.

Nice amenities

Shows/activities don't matter

Good Coffee (seriously...for my husband)

Balcony that is big enough to relax on & read.

....So is Oceania a "fit" for us?

Coastal Jewel, I suggest to you the Oceania might very well fill your expectations!

While much of what you like is subjective - (might be fine for one, but not so for another), you will see many previous posts for a lot of folks that do say that Oceania meets or exceeds your requirements to "fit the bill".

I won't attempt to answer the "good coffee" part - we're very happy with both the morning coffee and the evening's cappuccino, but that it really a matter of personal taste....

We have been on Regent four times and were delighted, but the all-inclusive fares are now much higher - and that suggests that we are paying for drinks and wine for others. I much prefer just to pay for our own! So now we're completed eight Oceania cruises and are looking forward to our ninth!

CJ- The coffee is not great- it may be the water on board, but there is an automatic espresso machine that is pretty good. Everything else on your list we found comparable between the 2 lines, although we like the food on O better. One thing you didn't mention that is the deal breaker for us between O and regent is no 'dress-up' nights- dining is casual every night. We hate dragging formal wear on vacation.

I guess you don't have to dress for dinner on any ship if you want to stay in your room, but some lines (I am thinking of silversea) expect you to either dress as requested or stay out of the public areas that evening. Does Regent not care what you wear as long as you are not in the dining room on dress nights?

Archived