Is a balcony worth the extra expense

like this. Do the math.......$200 divided by the how many days on your cruise...........what would it it be an extra $20something or less or a little more a day for the balcony........GET IT!!!!!

The math for us is that it 33% of the way to our next cruise. We usually sail two to three times a year and adding it up we essentially get a free cruise with the savings.

I always say the biggest FREE balcony is up there topside. You can lay out and just take it all in. 200.00 pp or 400.00 total could go elsewhere, maybe an excursion or more drinks. We are not balcony people as we are always out and about and prefer to be topside when the ship leaves port. There is more excitement up there surrounded by everyone having a great time.

If we ever went with a Balcony, the Aft Wrap around balconies are the best ones to get.

Fred

I can't agree more with your outlook. We like to be out and about having a great time also. We have had balconies in the past, if we can get them cheap enough, but usually the amount of time we utilize them just does not justify the uplift. Plus the fact they are really not that private and on one cruise the slamming of the balcony doors at all hours of the day almost drove me crazy. Too each their own but as long as I am on a ship it's going to be a great week.

Question......does that mean you are in Hawaii only 2 days in a 12 day cruise?

5 days there and 5 days back?

No it is 5 days at sea and 7 days in Hawaii. It is one way. You either fly there or fly back.......

This is on the Carnival Spirit.........

We have booked our first baclony (OV the other times) in January, the only unfortunate part is we wanted to be next door to my wife's parents so we could open up the partition, but they are the other side of the ship.

As far as I can see it is all about price. The more youc an afford the better room you can get. And the inside rooms are not the least expensive for a reason!!!

It's worth it if you want to stay in your room...If you want more quiet time , but if your are not in your room or on your balcony a LOT to me it's wasted money......Dennis

We never spend time in our cabin. Only for sleeping and dressing. We always book a balcony cabin.......to spend time on our balcony;)

For us, not only do we enjoy sitting out on our balcony and enjoying the peace and quiet, but it works because we travel with a small child. It's nice to be able to sit outside and read, chat or whatever when she's inside napping and such. Plus, when we get up in the morning we go on the balcony to eat and chat so we don't wake her up if she's still sleeping.

So, it depends on everyone's circumstance. I just love it though.

Yes in many cases it is worth it. Some of these Hawaii cruises have 5 days in a row at sea. I couldn't imagine not having a balcony. People who say you do not spend much time in your room don't really add up how much you are in there. Sleeping, getting ready for whatever. Showering etc. Anyway the better your room the more likely you will use it. Avoid the crowd on your balcony as well. GO FOR IT !

My daughter and I am planning on a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii next September 2009. I would like to get an balcony, Since I have never cruised with a balcony before, my question is: is it worth spending the extra for a balcony versus an outside room. There is about an $200 difference. Thank you. Delores

I see many responses that I haven't read yet, but I will add my opinion.............

YES YES and YES

Our first 2 cruises, we had a window.........

The last 2 cruises we had a balcony.......... we love it! At times, we order room service for lunch and enjoy and outside private meal..........

Yes in many cases it is worth it. Some of these Hawaii cruises have 5 days in a row at sea. I couldn't imagine not having a balcony. People who say you do not spend much time in your room don't really add up how much you are in there. Sleeping, getting ready for whatever. Showering etc. Anyway the better your room the more likely you will use it. Avoid the crowd on your balcony as well. GO FOR IT !

One thing to consider on the Destiny and Conquest class of ships is that an OV cabin is actually larger (220 sq. ft.) than a standard balcony cabin (185 sq. ft.). The balcony size is actually rolled into the cabin on an OV. Just a thought for those trying to decide.

Speaking of having meals on the balcony ... one thing I wish carnival did is the Ultimate Balcony Experience that Princess has. For a fee (of course) Princess will set up a private breakfast, lunch or dinner on your balcony with your own waiter and champagne. From what I've heard it's a great experience ... fine dining on the balcony. Wouldn't that be great????

Guest carlogesualdo

Let me put it this way (never having sailed in a balcony room, yet): if you're asking whether it's worth spending the money, I suspect you'd like to have the balcony and you probably won't regret having it. We splurged on one for our next cruise and it was a heckuva a lot more than $200 (or is more like $200 per person? I'm asking because that was my miscalculation...but I digress) We were perfectly happy on our last cruise with an oceanview room, and I suspect an inside cabin would have been perfectly fine as well since neither of us suffers claustrophobia. But we did spend an inordinate amount of time in the room in the mornings, I discovered. It might be nice to spend that time waking up out on the balcony instead of in the room watching stale reruns. (well...some of them were not so stale. There were a couple of episodes of 8 Simple Rules I actually hadn't seen yet. But I digress...)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have desided I am going to get a balcony. :) I have never had one and I don't think I will regret it. I will be traveling with my daughter. I think it will be nice to sit on the balcony in the morning drinking our coffee. Especially on sea days. There are 5 sea days and 7 days cruising the Islands.:D

Delores

My daughter and I am planning on a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii next September 2009. I would like to get an balcony, Since I have never cruised with a balcony before, my question is: is it worth spending the extra for a balcony versus an outside room. There is about an $200 difference. Thank you. Delores

I like a Balcony. I do spend time out there. If you are going to use it I feel its worth the extra money.

I like a Balcony. I do spend time out there. If you are going to use it I feel its worth the extra money.

We are considering it. Id like to feel the ocean air at night mostly. I dont know if anyone will sit out there with me. Everyone else wants to sit at the pool back in the shade. If the balcony was in the sun, I know no one would sit out there during that time. Im fence sitting on this one. I want to do one just because so many here swear they love them, but Im not so sure we would care and it cuts into the size of the cabin, the cabin is smaller than we would have with the OV.

Im still considering .... lol

Speaking of having meals on the balcony ... one thing I wish carnival did is the Ultimate Balcony Experience that Princess has. For a fee (of course) Princess will set up a private breakfast, lunch or dinner on your balcony with your own waiter and champagne. From what I've heard it's a great experience ... fine dining on the balcony. Wouldn't that be great????

We were on the Island Princess over the holidays for our RT Hawaii cruise a few years ago. I surprised my DH & DD with the balcony breakfast. This wasn't like the dinner which does have the waiter. Room service delivered it, but it was wonderful! I would do that one again in a heartbeat. It was their Christmas morning surprise. :)

On our upcoming cruise, believe it or not, it was a "balcony issue" that decided which cruise line we were going to take!

We decided that due to the strain and cutbacks in the airline industry, we wanted to take a cruise from a port that we could DRIVE to. The closest one was Charleston, SC (a 6-hour drive). However, the only cruise available to us at the time we needed to go was NCL Majesty. We've loved our last two NCL cruises (Dawn & Star), but the Majesty has NO balconies. I said no way, that won't work. We've had a balcony on every cruise, and I can't imagine not being able to sit out in my robe, first thing in the morning with my hair a mess, my face not made up, and just enjoy the sunrise.

So we chose Carnival Glory which leaves out of Port Canaveral - a 10 hour drive, but we can handle that.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have desided I am going to get a balcony. :) I have never had one and I don't think I will regret it. I will be traveling with my daughter. I think it will be nice to sit on the balcony in the morning drinking our coffee. Especially on sea days. There are 5 sea days and 7 days cruising the Islands.:D

Delores

Great news!! You would have a wonderful cruise either way, but the balcony will for sure make it better!!

In my opinion, I wouldn't go without a balcony. Imagine: Watching the sun rise while you eat breakfast/drinking coffee that was delivered to the room and set up on the balcony. Also, there just aren't any worries about finding a deck chair or keeping it once you have it because you have to run somewhere really quick and it is a nice extension to your cabin. We've even had dinner delivered out there once when we were tired from an all day excursion and didn't feel like dressing up.

IMPO if you had a balcony you would want to spend more time in your cabin ;) :D DH and I would not cruise if we couldn't afford a balcony. Worth every single penny. We love cruises with at least two sea days each way. Nothing better then sitting on our balcony and watching the ocean pass us by. Ordering room service and have our breakfast out there or cocktails. Ahhh, Just nothing better :)

I guess if you never had a balcony, there is nothing to miss. However, if the price was the same I am sure 99% of people would go for the balcony. Also the insides are just way to small, again that is IMPO. :D Diffferences of opinions is what makes the world go round ;)

We have booked our first baclony (OV the other times) in January, the only unfortunate part is we wanted to be next door to my wife's parents so we could open up the partition, but they are the other side of the ship.

As far as I can see it is all about price. The more youc an afford the better room you can get. And the inside rooms are not the least expensive for a reason!!!

. . . . and I hope this "trend" continues. Cheap inside cabins allow this SOLO cruiser to continue cruising. I can definitely see the "desire" for a balcony with a couple or a family, but cheap, cheap insides (or an upgrade to an outside :rolleyes:) are the haunt of the SOLO cruiser(sleeping, bathing). :D

Archived