Is a balcony worth the extra expense

This is totally your decision. To me, it's well worth it. We use our balcony quite a bit during our cruise. When I cruise alone, I don't get a balcony and I miss it. However, just being on the ship is good enough for me. So, if you have the funds, go for the balcony.

We are really excited about booking a balcony for our first cruise. The extra money we spent for the balcony will give us (we hope): Star gazing at night, morning sunrises, pre-dinner cocktails while watching the sunset, afternoon sudoku breaks after shore excursions and just being able to take a few steps from the cabin to the open air balcony to experience the weather (sun bathing?) will be worth the extra money for us.

Just can't wait for our cruise to get here:D .

I would never cruise Hawaii without a balcony. Worth every bit of that $200 IMO.......

I'm cruising on the Hawaiian cruise in Oct. and is there a better side to go after with your balcony room(odd or even)? I love balconies and I think they are worth the extra $200 on a longer cruise.

My daughter and I am planning on a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii next September 2009. I would like to get an balcony, Since I have never cruised with a balcony before, my question is: is it worth spending the extra for a balcony versus an outside room. There is about an $200 difference. Thank you. Delores

That's a very individual answer. For me it is a resounding YES!

$200 is a small price to pay for the peace and serenity a balcony gives me. If I had to I'd drink less, shop less even cruise less to be able to sit there and enjoy the view. You just have to decide what it's worth to you.

Good luck with the decision and no matter what you do, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

OMG Absolutely go with the balcony!

We got a lot of use of ours when we cruised through Alaska, from the moment we left Seattle until the moment we came back...I would imagine Hawaii would be the same.

The Carib, not so much to see. If I had to do without a balcony on a caribbean cruise, it would really not be that much of a big deal. Water everywhere.

I just booked a balcony for our Pride cruise next year. We have always gotten an interior and wanted to try a balcony. Wish we had gotten one when we cruised to Hawaii last year. With two sea days on the Pride, I think it will be worth it.

Let us know how you liked it!:)

We had an inside cabin for our first cruise. We were told that you're hardly in your cabin and don't need a balcony (or a window). On our next cruise, we were upgraded to a balcony. We never looked back! Once you cruise with a balcony, you won't cruise without one. Especially if you are cruising to Hawaii, I'd have a balcony. We love to sit outside and just 'chill' on our own balcony. Go for it and enjoy!

Although the decision for or against a balcony is yours I'd like to tell you of our experience.

Our first two cruises were inside cabins. We had wonderful times on both didn't even miss a window. Third trip decided to try OV, booked a porthole cabin. BUT we were upgraded to a minisuite! It was so fun that my DH (Mr Cheap) has insisted that we do balconies from then on. :D Of course I miss the VIP service that comes with the minisuite. :cool: and sometimes it's hard to drag my DH off the balcony and mix with people. :(

I like inside rooms because they are so dark, but loved the Balcony on my Alaska cruise. For Alaska, Hawaii or a Europe cruise I would have a balcony because there is something to view from the balcony. On our Alaska cruise we only went to the dining room two times because I did not want to waste the beautiful view getting ready and eating. On a carribean cruise I will stick with a inside room.

The side of the ship you want for volcano viewing varies depending on your itinerary. So, look at the order of your ports. Not all ships do the pivot, so to be sure you are on the correct side, look at your itinerary. However, depending on activity at the time, you may not see anything. Right now there is some great venting, but that can change in just one day. For a while there was no vent into the ocean and it didn't matter what side you were on. It all depends on Pele's mood during the time that you are sailing. We were lucky and a shelf had broken off shortly before our voyage, so we had some good viewing. Several months after that, the vent closed and there was nada!

We will be there in December and there is vent open to where you can actually walk to it in the evenings and we are hoping that it will still be open in December. But we know that could change tomorrow or it could close up the night before we arrive.

Hilo to Kona = Starboard

Kona to Hilo = Port

I would not cruise Hawaii without a balcony. We cruised Hawaii last December and had a wonderful balcony and that is the place to be when you are sailing past the N'Pali Coastline.

Other than this time, we have rarely spent time on our balconies.

My daughter and I am planning on a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii next September 2009. I would like to get an balcony, Since I have never cruised with a balcony before, my question is: is it worth spending the extra for a balcony versus an outside room. There is about an $200 difference. Thank you. Delores

I sure wish I knew myself!!! Im debating between two cabins where we can see out or one balcony cabin. The one balcony for 3 of us costs more than the two cabins.

Im travelling with two mobility challenged folks. Im debating on an extended balcony. The extended balconys are all the way back, further for them to walk and arent totally covered, so we might have sun all day and I know they wouldnt sit out in the sun.

Balcony?? Balcony guarantee?? Extended balcony?? ..... or just get two cabins for the 3 of us.

I would not cruise Hawaii without a balcony. We cruised Hawaii last December and had a wonderful balcony and that is the place to be when you are sailing past the N'Pali Coastline.

Other than this time, we have rarely spent time on our balconies.

I did the hike into the beach along the N'Pali coast. one of the highlights of the trip to Kaui. I dont think you could do it on a cruise probably, would take too long in and out.

I did the hike into the beach along the N'Pali coast. one of the highlights of the trip to Kaui. I dont think you could do it on a cruise probably, would take too long in and out.

Firefly, we took an Air Ventures tour in Kauai and loved that. It was neat as we sailed past the coastline because we could see the same places we'd seen from the airplane, but it looked quite different. I'm sure the hike was just as wonderful...man, I wish I was still there...that has been my overall hands down favorite cruise, EVER!

Thank you everyone for your reply. By these answers I have desided that a balcony is worth it. If for nothing else to enjoy our morning coffee and watch the sun rise. Which side is the best for seeing the valcano at night.

Delores

Last I heard, you can't see the lava flow at night anymore. Check the Hawaii boards to see for sure. If they are visible, they turn the ship around so both sides can see it.

I personally have no problem with inside cabins and I did an inside guarantee for my cruise to Hawaii and I don't regret it. However, I flew into Honolulu so there were no sea days and we sailed at night so we were in a different port everyday during the daylight. I couldn't justify the expense. Since you will have sea days, it is probably worth the upgrade. Then again, at $200 per person, that is a lot of shore excursions in Hawaii which outweighs drinking coffee on a balcony. JMO. If you can afford it without taking away from other stuff you want to do, then go for it. I personally wanted to parasail, snorkel Molokini and go to a luau which cost a lot of money in addition to the cruise so I skipped the balcony and don't regret it. Good luck.

Firefly, we took an Air Ventures tour in Kauai and loved that. It was neat as we sailed past the coastline because we could see the same places we'd seen from the airplane, but it looked quite different. I'm sure the hike was just as wonderful...man, I wish I was still there...that has been my overall hands down favorite cruise, EVER!

We spent a week on each island. Kaui has such varied topography, its amazing. they have a canyon which almost looks like the grand canyone. Its also in the middle of the island, the rainiest spot on each, but some will dispute it.

We took a rental car along the pig hunting trails and all over the island. I lived on Oahu, so its wasnt the same as going from the Mainland, we had local contacts/friends there too. Maui has land not too far from Kona that reminds me of the green rolling fields you see on horse farms in Kentucky. Just amazing. I sure miss it there too. I only moved because a live in b/f was just plain drinking too much and no other choice but to leave. He was local and I wasnt.

Im going back one day.

Firefly you are so lucky to have had a week on each island! Another spot that I enjoyed was a little beach near a park in Kona near the Costco. It was so peaceful because hardly anyone was there and then when we left we stopped at the park and ate the fruit and bread we brought from the ship.

There were several people there on their lunch breaks. Just a very peaceful, beautiful place. Oh, man...I have got to get back there!;) Another great thing is that everyone is SO friendly and nice...a very nice change from some of the Caribbean ports where you're hounded as soon as you walk off the ship.

My asnwer to your question is it a super emphatic YES! A Balcony is the only way to go. If they want quiet time, but want to be in the fresh air then a balcony allows that. There is nothing like waking up and getting a slow start to the day by sitting outside to check the weather and just enjoy the view before heading up for breakfast. At night, it is also a wonderful place to just wind down and relax for a wee bit before going to bed.

A window will not let you see what it is really like outside, meaning how warm it is. A window also can't be opened to allow the sound of the sea lull you to sleep, and a balcony door held open all night will do that!!!!

I say three cheers for the balcony!!!!

Firefly you are so lucky to have had a week on each island! Another spot that I enjoyed was a little beach near a park in Kona near the Costco.

Id gone to Kona for a week with my Dad back when I worked for Braniff (giving away my age). I think it cost us like $75 for airfare or some such and we stayed at that really fancy hotel in Kona.

I actually think Hilo is more interesting. We were looking for large acerage the last time we went over there, thinking about raising chickens and the rain there just drove us back. Hilo is more hawaiian to me and fun. My b/f could remember when he was a teenager, when they used to ride horses into town out there past Kona and tie them up. He was about 20 years older than me (the liar lol), but seeing the islands thru a locals eyes, I cant tell you how fun that was.

Id gone to Kona for a week with my Dad back when I worked for Braniff (giving away my age). I think it cost us like $75 for airfare or some such and we stayed at that really fancy hotel in Kona.

I actually think Hilo is more interesting. We were looking for large acerage the last time we went over there, thinking about raising chickens and the rain there just drove us back. Hilo is more hawaiian to me and fun. My b/f could remember when he was a teenager, when they used to ride horses into town out there past Kona and tie them up. He was about 20 years older than me (the liar lol), but seeing the islands thru a locals eyes, I cant tell you how fun that was.

I can just imagine riding horses there...In Hilo we went to VNP and the Mauna Loa Nut Factory. Quite a bit difference from the park to the factory weather-wise. On VNP it was cold and rainy, but very hot once we got back down from the mountain. My favorite places were The Road to Hana and Lahaina, it's so quaint and peaceful. I envy you growing up there.

Yep, the road to hana is my favorite too. I lived on Oahu, where all the population lives, but out in the country, for a while right next to Sacred Falls. I loved walking up there, about 2 miles up and 2 back, the last mile is pretty uphill, but good exercise. Now some tourist went and drowned so they closed it off to tourists to go up there on their own. so sad, its much better to see it in its natural state than say waimea park where its so touristy.

I hear about folks going to PCC, polynesian cultural center. Its run by the Mormoms for profit. They go to tonga and samoa and recruit youths that are black and not any of the cultures they pretend to be. Im sure its fun, but its hardly real. You have to agree to convert to the Mormom faith to work there. there are a few locals who work there, but very few real hawaiians. Its a way for the tongan and samoan boys to work their way thru BYU which has a branch there in Laie.

Archived