Is a balcony worth the extra expense

My daughter and I am planning on a cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii next September 2009. I would like to get an balcony, Since I have never cruised with a balcony before, my question is: is it worth spending the extra for a balcony versus an outside room. There is about an $200 difference. Thank you. Delores

That is a question only you can answer. Many here will only cruise with a balcony. Others like me will probably always take insides to save money (to cruise more often!) To each his/her own. It all depends on your preferences.

Only you can decide if it is worth it. For only $200 total for that long of a cruise, I would definitely do it. We had a balcony for our RT Hawaii and with that many sea days it was heaven. If the pool deck was crowded, I could lay out on my own balcony. We were on the perfect side for viewing the volcano. Cruising around the islands with a cocktail on the balcony is fab... and early morning coffe out there was heaven. I loved Hawaii and it is one that I would always have a balcony for if we were to do it again... even with the 4+ sea days. :)

We have cruised inside, outsides and balconies. The rule of thumb for us if the uplift is no greater than $200 we will go with the balcony. Any higher than that the cost does not justify the amount of use we actually get out of a balcony. Our next cruise to Europe we originally had an 6A outside but we found that the price had dropped and brought the cost of an 8C under $200 and we went for it.

For a cruise of that length and with that many at sea days, I would say it would definitely be worth the extra $200 for a balcony. The more sea days there are, the more use the balcony will get!

For $200 difference take the balcony. You won't regret it. I understand the inside to save some money, but a Hawaii curise is not cheap once you've added everything up and the $200 would be well spent. Hawaii is port intensive and many don't spend much time in their cabins, but traveling from Vancouver you will love sitting on your private balcony and watching the scenery.

Impossible question to answer. Some people swear by there balconies, others could nto care one way or the other if they have a balcony. We tend not to spend much time out there when we have one but I do enjoy the more "open" outside wall with all the glass.

Everyone will voice their opinion on this one, but until you try it once and decide for yourself there is no right or wrong answer on this one.

Quote " Is a balcony worth the extra expense."

Absolutely yes ! The difference in your cruise experience between an outside vs. a verandah is huge, even if you don't spend a lot of time in there.

I won't say that I wouldn't cruise without a balcony, but darn close. We are willing to pay a lot more than 200 dollars to have the balcony versus an inside or outside. I can't imagine passing up a verandah for a mere $200.

Go for it.

You have received good advice. When my sister and I cruised to Hawaii, we had an OV room we spent most of our time on the 4+ sea days out on deck in the shade. If our balcony had been in the sun we wouldn't have used it. You need to decide what is best for you. $200 sounds like a good deal. I think you'll enjoy the floor-to-ceiling view.

Delores,

Only you can really answer that question. Do you like sitting outside, alone or with your roommate, perhaps reading or watching the dolphins? Is $200 stretching your budget? Are you the kind of person who wants to be out where the action is or one who would probably spend more time in your room?

I personally love sitting on my balcony and enjoying the view and figure it's either a balcony or interior (if the balcony cost is too prohibitive) for me. However, everyone has their own preferences and I'm sure many will say that they are quite happy with the OV and wouldn't spend the extra for the balcony.

Best of luck in whatever cabin you choose and enjoy your cruise!

The fact that you are cruising Hawaii alone, the answer is a resounding YES!

Sailing past the volcano at night, or past the Na'Pali coast, or any of the islands, for that matter... a balcony is a very nice feature.

In my opinion, $200 extra is a fantastic price for a balcony! If budget is a concern, personally, I'd eat peanut butter and carrot sticks for a few weeks to save the required amount.

This is Hawaii we are talking about!

Thank you everyone for your reply. By these answers I have desided that a balcony is worth it. If for nothing else to enjoy our morning coffee and watch the sun rise. Which side is the best for seeing the valcano at night.

Delores

All the cruise ships I have heard of sit and spin around, so everyone on the ship gets to see the volcano. The NCL ship we went on parked about a mile off shore (looks a lot closer), and just used the side thrust propellors, and did a 360 degree turn around on the spot.

Wow, I just checked on a website regarding this cruise. I assume this is on the Spirit? Those prices are fantasic, in my opinion. Under $1400 for a balcony room on a 12 day cruise to Hawaii.. wow..

By the way, I noticed you spend 5 days at sea just getting to Hawaii. That is reason #2 for getting a balcony.

You'll love Hawaii. It was a dream vacation for us, and I'm sure will be for you too.

We loved our balcony in Hawaii and I know that you will, too. We have never regretted having a balcony when we have had one. We have had inside, OV, balconies- side, hump and wrap, and never had a cruise that we did not enjoy. But Hawaii and Alaska are cruises that you should splurge on a balcony.

Bon voyage!

After much arm pulling, I decided to go for my first balcony in August. It's our second, cruise and our first major vacation in two years. The $100.00 spent I think will be worth it, just in the fact that we like to rise early for coffee and then get something to eat once we really get up and get going. Room service, with scenery, I think will be priceless.

I have my first balcony booked for August. It's our second cruise and first major vacation in two years. Having the option of having room service, sitting on the balcony until we are ready to go out, watching the scenery will be worth the extra $100.00

I spent 15 minutes on our balcony on the Legend. To me it was a big waste of money. Coffee in those uncomfortable chairs 1 time and that was enough. But most people love the balcony, It was nice having the floor to ceiling view. You will love your cruise to Hawaii that has been our favorite cruise.

Had a balcony on Deck 10 Starboard side NCL Pride of America and loved it. Would prefer it to a port side cabin. Not sure how your ports are set up for your cruise and this was last year.

Coming in to Hilo 1st day Starboard had a great view of the coast. Loved sitting there in the early morning drinking coffee and watching the coast go by. While in port didn't matter.

Port in Maui I thought Starboard had a great view of the mountains, city, and bay. Watched some races in the bay there where each boat had about 8 rowers.

Kona - Port faces the coast, starboard out to sea. Tender in Kona

Kauai - I thought starboard had the best view of the bay and mountains.

Lava viewing (if availiable) either side. Best is up on deck as the ship turns with port last.

Napali Coast - port side. Although had resevations in the Italian Restaurant with a window seat to watch as the ship did the Napali coast.

Archived