South American Splendors

Rosedale

Insignia.We are booked Jan5/2009 for the 19 day cruise.

What type of clothing is needed for this trip at this time of year?

Has anyone got any feedback on the ship's trips and your own tours?

Is it worth staying longer for a pre-trip (Valpalviso) and post trip (Rio de Janeiro)?

Thanks Kathleen:)

At the top of this page, click on Cruise Forums, etc. It will take you to a page and you will see the Roll Calls -- Members Only. Then Click on Roll Calls--Oceania and scan down for the relevant one for you.

I think there's general interest in these destinations, and insights that can be gained from those who have already been there, that is outside the scope of a Roll Call. I, for instance, am considering this itinerary for 2010, so I'm interested in gathering information about other people's experiences.

I think there's general interest in these destinations, and insights that can be gained from those who have already been there, that is outside the scope of a Roll Call. I, for instance, am considering this itinerary for 2010, so I'm interested in gathering information about other people's experiences.

Wendy-

You're right, there is interest in these destinations. The discussion of them can be found on the "Ports of Call" boards.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

It's a great forum

Stan & Jim

Kathleen, I think you will have better response by posting on the specific Oceania ship forum. I actually think they have roll call for this sailing.

Ala

That won't get responses from those of us who have actually taken this cruise. I'd plan a couple of days in Santiago rather than Val. It is a wonderful city to visit. Weatherwise, we had just about all kinds of weather from VERY hot to very cold. (Our trip went to Antarctica too.) The southern parts of SA were in the 50s and quite windy. The beginning and end of the cruise was in the high 80s/90s with humidity high. It was a wonderful trip.

I agree with Digby on time in Santiago. Lovely city. We did this last February. The weather was less than perfect. Several days of rain, several just plain "grey" days. I suspect I'm in the minority but the trip was not one of my favorites. The ports had a similar feel to them. Looking at pictures now I really have a hard time figuring out which were which. Small towns in the middle of nowhere with no particular identifyng characteristics. The penguins, of course, were marvelous but I had visited with them in other places.

It may have been the weather. I have spoken to people who raved about their experience at other times of the year.

I do want make it clear that my reaction has nothing to do with O. The ship, crew, food was as good as ever.

Am I sorry I took the trip? Nope. My DH would have called it a "been to". In other words I can take that one off the list.

We had near perfect weather in Santiago -- 80s and clear. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton which was one of the hotels "O" used then although we did our own booking for much less money. The hotel arranged transport for 4 of us to the port -- again for far less money than the "O" transfers. I would agree most of the ports were not that memorable, but the scenery on most of trip was unforgetable.

Archived