Time between muster drill and sail away

Gritsgal

It has been several years since we last cruised and I can not remember how long after the muster drill that the ship actually sails away.

We will be on the Legend in Aug. and don't want to miss it!

Grits

On HAL, when the ship is scheduled to sail at 5:00, life boat drill often is at 4:15. If it lasts 20 or 25 minutes, the ship will sail (if on time), about 20 or so minutes after drill ends.

On RCCL usually the muster drill is 30 minutes to an hour before sailaway. If your fellow guests do what they are supposed to and show up on time, you should have plenty of time to make it to sailaway. If you have to wait around on people who think they can get out of muster drill, you may be rushing to make it.

I would think that was in breach of maritime law, but hey, ferries do it all the time, even if they have a muster procedure

Actually, they are perfectly fine to have the drill after sailaway - it just has to be within 24 hours of sailaway.

I have never timed it, but there is always seems to be time to get back to the cabin to stow the lifejackets and so forth......I would guess 15 to 30 mins, it can very as some times ships can be a bit late in departing.

On our last cruise, I took the lifejackets back to the cabin, found 1 suitcase had been delivered, so I started unpacking it--next thing I know, I look out the balcony door, and WE'RE MOVING!!!!! Oh well! I hurried along, and made it to the pool deck after we had cleared MIA port!

Unfortunately on Carnival, sometimes the lifeboat drill is in progress when you cast off. I Port Canaveral once on Elation we were out in the channel before the drill was over. EM

Why does Carnival do this??? We have sailed out of Galveston twice on Carnival and both times we're in the middle of the muster drill and they pull away from the dock. I probably wouldn't mind it too bad, but we were stuck in the inside cocktail lounge and couldn't see anything. I was disappointed. RCCL gives you plenty of time between the muster drill and sailaway. Of course on Carnival I really don't think anybody would even know if you didn't show up. They do not keep track of anybody during the muster drill.

I would think that was in breach of maritime law, but hey, ferries do it all the time, even if they have a muster procedure

They have 24 hrs after you sail to hold the drill. On some cruises where the ship leaves Puerto Rico later in the evening, the drill is held the following morning.

We too are about to sail on Carnival out of Galveston and I will be very SAD to be standing around in a life jacket when they throw the last line.

Sailway is where it is at. Otherwise, might as well be on land hotel!

My only guess is that for those on deck, they get alot of heat complaints maybe. They think some wind may help, dunno? Or maybe something from the Port of Galveston wants people 'occupied' for some reason.

For any recent Galveston departees - how far down the channel or around the jetties were you before you ditched (bad word choice) your life jacket and got to the rail up top?

Archived