Firstr time to Alaska -- Skagway or Sitka?

Terre

If you're on the southbound Veendam in 2008 or the southbound Ryndam in 2009 - the ships go to both Sitka and Skagway. It will require a flight to Anchorage, and the ship leaves from the lovely town of Seward. My advice would be to arrive several says before the ship sails so you can spend time visiting Denali or the Kenai Peninsula before the cruise begins.

Thanks everyone so much...we've decided on Sitka and hopefully some day we'll go back and choose an itinerary that has Skagway!

You guys are great, thanks for the links, photos, comments; I know we can't go wrong either way!

I was in Skagway 2 yrs ago and in Sitka last week. While you won't be disappointed with either port, my preference is Sitka.

In Skagway we enjoyed a bus up to Emerald Lake and the White Pass Railroad back to town. Since we had an all day excursion there wasn't much time to look around the town, but it looked very small. Like I don't know how someone would spend their time there (besides shopping) if they didn't have an excursion up to the Yukon area.

In Sitka we did the Sea Otter & Wildlife Quest and saw a lot of wildlife. We also had a better view of the volcano on that excursion. And, most surprisingly, we saw several whales from the ship about 30-60 min after leaving Sitka. The crew had told us to be on the lookout for them as many were seen in the area on the way into Sitka. We must have seen at least a dozen from the ship! Even though the weather was not very good (our only rainy port on our cruise), I thought Sitka was the most beautiful of all the Alaskan ports I've visited.

Bobsan, you're the first person to call me on that. I use Tokyo because everyone recognizes it. You and I are two of the few Cruise Criticers who'd know about the Yokohama port. :p

That was a great cruise. Nothing but sleep, read and eat for eleven days.

It was our first inside cabin. All the others since were oceanviews or better. Now that I'm traveling solo I'm back to inside again.

You could always say "Tokyo Bay."

Well this is off topic, but the thread is probably about to finish anyway.

Stevesan, I served in Korea for a year in 1952-1953 as a lieutenant fresh out of ROTC, which I went into to avoid being drafted. What a great decision that was.

My "cruise ship" on the way to Japan was a civilian contract ship, and on the way back I sailed on a Navy transport. The food and quarters on the Navy ship were better. I had time in Japan when I arrived, when I left, and on two R and R's. The beer and Kobe beef were always cheap and great.

Last May my wife and I went to China, with a ten day stop in Japan on the way back. We stayed in Kyoto and Tokyo. Great times.

We used AA frequent flier miles to fly Business Class on Japan Airlines. That was a terrific choice.

If you ever want to go back, I will be happy to answer questions at bobe at uark dot edu.

Bobsan :p

We've enjoyed 5 Alaska cruises and love Sitka. It's a real town with an interesting history, whereas Skagway at this time exists primarily as a tourist stop for cruise ships (I've been told that much of the population goes elsewhere in winter). I love the raptor center and the totem park for lovely walks.

Skagway has some nice hiking areas once you get out beyond the shopping streets, and the cemetery is interesting.

We've enjoyed 5 Alaska cruises and love Sitka. It's a real town with an interesting history, whereas Skagway at this time exists primarily as a tourist stop for cruise ships (I've been told that much of the population goes elsewhere in winter). I love the raptor center and the totem park for lovely walks.

Skagway has some nice hiking areas once you get out beyond the shopping streets, and the cemetery is interesting.

Thanks, Xoe...I do want to go to the totem park and the raptor center and if I find a cemetery along way -- great!

We found the neatest pet cemetery in Aruba while driving around the island and a really neat, very old one in Bermuda, so this is something I love to get shots of!

We were in both Skagway and Sitka in 92 and loved the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve. The Chilkat valley was fantastic.

Topspot, is that your dog? He/she is beautiful!

Archived