Firstr time to Alaska -- Skagway or Sitka?

Terre

Okay, for those of you who have been to both, which do you prefer and why?

We are looking at two different ships to Alaska next May, but one goes to Sitka and one goes to Skagway. We are so torn on which one to choose because we like what we've read about both.

Which do you prefer and why?

What did you do there; would you do it again?

If you have been on both the Norwegian Star and HAL's Amsterdam, which do you prefer and why?

Both Skagway and Sitka have a lot to offer.

In Skagway I took the White Pass & Yukon RR train trip - phenomenal! Lots of Gold Rush history in Skagway (I'm a history buff).

The Russian heritage of Sitka is very intriguing. I'd like to go back there again to see the things I missed.

IMO you can't go wrong with either one. I found lots to do and see in very port I visited on my 2 Alaskan cruises.

HAL and NCL are 2 completely different experiences. If you would tell us a little about yourself, it might help us to help you decide. What are you looking for in a cruise experience?

Roz

We have been to Skagway 2x and Sitka 3x. For us, the hands down winner is Skagway. The cruise lines claim there is a beautiful volcano outside of Sitka. ;) We haven't seen any indication of one, as the clouds have been way too low each time we've been there.

In Skagway we did the White Pass Railroad the first time. On the second we rented a car for a fantastic drive to the Yukon. Even if it is cloudy in Skagway, we've been able to get above them for the spectacular scenery.

Would we select a cruise based just upon one port - no. It would depend upon the itinerary as a whole.

We have been to both many times.

Both are great --Skagway has grown since we were there many, many years ago. There are a lot more jewelry shops there - I don;t like that. But the White Pass & Yukon railroad -- have done it a couple of times and love it. There is a walking tour that you can do there as well. Red Onion Saloon.

Sitka -- have done the Wildlife and Sea Otter tour a couple of times and loved it. Saw lots of whales and eagles as well. Raptor Center is great. Sitka is still a nice quiet town. This is a tender port for all cruise lines.

Have sailed on the Amsterdam a couple of times -- love the ship.

We've been to both and I definitely prefer Sitka. The architecture is unusual, the cathedral is stunning and the people are genuinely friendly and welcoming. In fact, we were wandering around, very early in the morning and spotted a lady setting up her shop. When we asked if there was a coffee shop nearby, she invited us in, saying she'd just put on a fresh pot.

JMHO, but Skagway just feels more touristy. I loved the railroad, but the rest of it didn't feel real.

We've only been to each place once. If I had to choose between them I'd go back to Sitka. Skagway is too much tourist-ified IMO, while Sitka still has a lot of old-time charm. The major attraction in Skagway is, of course, the White Pass. If you don't want to do the rather pricey WP&Y RR, you can take a bus excursion at about half the price that drives around town, then up to the WP summit, often looking down on the WP&YRR tracks. It gives you about an hour for shopping/strolling down the main drag. That was plenty for me.

The day were in Sitka it was raining (surprise, surprise!), but it was fairly light so we just walked around town to see the Russian cemetery and church. It is a fairly recent replica of one that burned down, but much of the contents are authentically old. I'd like to go back and see the Raptor Center, and the Russian Dancers. We couldn't see the mountain either, but maybe next time we'd be luckier. :)

I feel your dilemma, as I faced exactly the same thing when we were booking our first cruise to Alaska. We were drawn to the rough-and-tumble Gold Rush history of Skagway and the railroad, but we were also intrigued by the Russian history of Sitka. We ended up choosing the Skagway itinerary for two reasons: The White Pass railroad in Skagway, and also because that itinerary included a return to Seattle through the Inside Passage.

The White Pass railroad trip is AMAZING and absolulety worth a port stop to Skagway. I enjoyed the town, but it is small and lots of T-shirt shops. You can still see the Old West-ness about it, but it doesn't feel like a "real" town that people are actually living in. It feels a little Disneyfied, even though you KNOW it is real. The Red Onion Saloon is a fun stop in town, too :rolleyes:

Sitka, on the other hand, feels like a modern town with real people living in it. It's still kind of sleepy and charming, in all the good ways. It seems there is more to do there, even if you don't book an excursion. On our visit, we just walked around. We visited the Russian church and a Native American museum, had lunch, and we also walked the Totem trail in the park, which was REALLY cool. We both have a history and interest in sailing (pleasure boats) and upon seeing the huge marina there, we were hit with the impression that if we had a sailboat of our own in the area, we'd make a lot of trips to Sitka.

Let us know what you finally decide! :)

Hi,

We are going to alaska for the first time next week. While planning our cruise I thought that I would also have to choose between the two ports. But I did book one on Tahitian Princess for 14 nights. It goes to :

1. Vancouver (starting)

2. Cruising inside passage

3. Ketchikan

4. Glacier Bay National Park

5. Skagway

6. Cruising Gulf of Alaska

7. Valdez

8. Seward

9. Kodiak Island

10. Cruising Gulf of Alaska

11. Juneau

12. Sitka

13. Cruising inside passage

14. Victoria

15. Vancouver (ends)

Just a thought.

Maria

I preferred Sitka because of the Native American Museum and the Totem trail. I have an interest in exploring and experiencing the native cultures wherever I go, and it just isn't the same as reading about it. I also found Sitka to be more interesting because of its history and heritage. I enjoyed just walking around and discovering what is there. Whatever you choose, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Sitka is my favorite port in Alaska and it really DOES have a volcano, Mt. Edgecumbe (sp?). But the museum at Sherman Jackson College is marvelous, Baranof Hill where the sale of Alaska to the U.S. was completed, National Cemetery, Native Arts cultural center, Totem park - just too many great things to see and all within walking distance of the tender pier.

Skagway town is very small and gets terribly crowded when more than one ship is there. The railroad ride has great scenic beauty.

I enjoyed both. But I liked Sitka because of the Bald Eagles. When we got back to the ship I walked up to the bow and there were 8 eagles flying around and feeding. All told from the ship and on land we saw about 40 different eagles there. In Skayway I took a tour of the Red Onion for $5.00. It took about 15 minutes and was very interesting. We also walked some trails that were by were the ships dock. There is a lot of shopping there but nothing we were interested in buying.

My first cruise to Alaska stopped at both ports, and I was especially looking forward to Sitka. Even though I enjoyed it, it was a disappointment as it was a city with traffic and traffic lights and all that. To see St. Michael's Church in the midst of a busy downtown just didn't look right.

As I said, I enjoyed the Russian Dancers and the tour. I've also been to the Bishop's House, the totem park, Sheldon Jackson Museum (very good), and done the Sea Otter Quest (lots and lots of wildlife!). It's been sunny and warm-very warm on two of my three visits there.

I love, Love, LOVE! Skagway! I think it's charming, even though it's full of shops. The buildings the shops are in look real 1890's. The railroad gives great views---you can pick out Dead Horse Gulch with no trouble. Last time I did the sled dog tour and had a ball (bring dog biscuits if you go ;) ).

And the ride down the Lynn Canal is one of the world's great sails.

Whatever you choose, have a great time in The Great Land.

Both Skagway and Sitka have a lot to offer.

HAL and NCL are 2 completely different experiences. If you would tell us a little about yourself, it might help us to help you decide. What are you looking for in a cruise experience?

Roz

Thank you all so much for your comments. It's still going to be a toss up.

Roz, we are both 56 years old and have been on 17 cruises mostly to the Eastern & Western Caribbean, a couple to the Southern, Bermuda and Hawaii. I love taking pictures and really love to see the uncommercialized, raw beauty of the places we visit. I don't like all the touristy stuff, not into shopping much. I also love to learn about the history of each place, so I'm still somewhat undecided, but we're leaning toward Sitka at this point.

As far as the cruise experience itself, we love meeting people from all over, love the food and service that each ship has to offer. We have never sailed HAL before, but have heard many great things about it.

Again, thanks everyone for your comments and opinions...that's exactly what I was looking for!

Being that you're more into the natural beauty and less touristy stuff, I'd lean towards recommending Sitka to you, on the provision you take an excursion out of town. Although, I'm sure you'd still enjoy Skagway too ... Alaska is just drop-dea beautiful everywhere you go, so I doubt you'd be disappointed in either town.

Now, I have the opposite take. Renting a car and getting out of Skagway is terrific to see the un-commercialized, raw beauty of the place. I grew up in the Seattle area and now live in Colorado. The beauty of the Yukon (and northern BC) just blew us away. Emerald Lake (the usual turn around point) was spectacular! We did this with some friends (also from Colorado) and it was the highlight of our cruise.

We had the drive to ourselves. There were just enough cars (every 20-min or so) that we didn't feel desolated, but we every time we stopped to enjoy the views, it was just us. :D

'Yukon' on the Alaska forum has a guide to this drive. While the pictures are wonderful, they just can't give a feel for the 360-degree beauty.

I like both, but agree that Skagway is touristy. Sitka still have a certain charm about it. I guess that I also love this port because a close friend of mine daughter lives there and she took me about and I had lunch at her home.

Our first cruise to Alaska (on the Regal Princess) was supposed to stop in Skagway, but we had to miss it due to engine problems so we could limp into Juneau early to make repairs. :( So I can only comment on Sitka, which I've been to twice.

We love Sitka. It was warm there on one cruise (May) and FREEZING cold on the next (August). We've done the Russian dancers, the totem park, the bishop's house, the museum, and the wildlife quest. All were wonderful. I just think (even on a cold, rainy, miserable day) that it is one of the world's most beautiful places.

You couldn't go wrong choosing the itinerary with Sitka in it. But my NEXT Alaska cruise (at some unknown future time) is going to go to Skagway...or else!

Robin

The Zaandam in Sitka Sound:

2767761140095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

Terre,

Our vote is for Skagway simply because of the rail trip up the mountains. We have been on only one Alaskan cruise, but it stopped at both Skagway and Sitka. The Sitka Russian architecture is interesting. We did not travel outside the town as others have, so cannot comment on the sights there.

But the train ride from in Skagway was something we would do again without hesitation. The cost three years ago was about $100 each, but well worth it. This tour is very well organized and the scenery is magnificent. The train picks you up at the dock. We got off in town on the way back, stopped for a beer, then looked around, and walked back to the ship. Of course if you are unlucky and it rains on the day you stop at Skagway, the train will not be as enjoyable, but this could happen in Sitka as well.

Bob :cool:

We have been to Skagway 2x and Sitka 3x. For us, the hands down winner is Skagway. The cruise lines claim there is a beautiful volcano outside of Sitka. ;) We haven't seen any indication of one, as the clouds have been way too low each time we've been there.

In Skagway we did the White Pass Railroad the first time. On the second we rented a car for a fantastic drive to the Yukon. Even if it is cloudy in Skagway, we've been able to get above them for the spectacular scenery.

Would we select a cruise based just upon one port - no. It would depend upon the itinerary as a whole.

I have to agree strongly with this. The drive from Skagway (we drove as far as Whitehorse) is absolutely stunning. One of the easiest and most enjoyable scenic drives we've ever done and that made Skagway one of the best port stops ever for us.

The best advise is book a B2B for both ports, or do as post #8.

No one can say which you'd prefer because we don't know you. :o

However; as others have commented, Sitka is much less touristy than Skagway. The Raptor Center at Sitka is definitely worth a visit.

The White Pass rail trip in Skagway travels thru beautiful scenery, but it's a passive experience, not too well suited for kids or active adults.

It's also a bit like gilding the lily: the scenery throughout all of the Inside Passage is extraordinarily beautiful.

This is an extract from my review:

A don’t miss is the Raptor Center in Sitka. You don’t need to book a tour. The Center provides frequent guided tours through their site. Each tour finishes with a video and a talk by one of the Naturalists. A Metro shuttle bus stops at the dock, runs through town out to The Raptor Center and circles back every half hour. The shuttle fare is $7.00, good all day. The Raptor center’s web site is at: http://www.alaskaraptor.org/. There are great photo ops here.

Have not been to Skagway, but IF you go to Sitka, the Davey Lubin (just Google him) was our highlight...numerous whales, sea lions, sea otters, birds, etc. We had a 6-person private tour (boat is covered) and Davey will not disappoint. CC member "SakeDad" has numerous pictures of Sitka and the Davey tour. Nathan (CC SakeDad) has Davey's pictures on this link:

http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/2911393_tPEQr#P-23-24

Have a great time regardless of which itinerary you choose!

Okay, guys, I'm leaning toward Sitka. We had talked about renting a car in Skagway and riving to Emerald Lake. We usually rent a car in ports and drive around.

You've all been so helpful with your comments and I LOVE the idea of the B2B going to both places! If only I had the time and money...:rolleyes:

You've all been so helpful with your comments and I LOVE the idea of the B2B going to both places! If only I had the time and money...:rolleyes:
Since no 7-day cruise that I know of does both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay, you're going to have to go back on another cruise to see whichever of those that you miss this time! Might as well make it a point to see the other of the Sitka/Skagway choices next time too! :D

I was for Skagway, but I don't want to be a poor loser, so have a great time.

Stevesan, you mean Yokohama, don't you? :D

Bobsan :p

Bobsan, you're the first person to call me on that.

I use Tokyo because everyone recognizes it. You and I are two of the few Cruise Criticers who'd know about the Yokohama port. :p

That was a great cruise. Nothing but sleep, read and eat for eleven days.

It was our first inside cabin. All the others since were oceanviews or better. Now that I'm traveling solo I'm back to inside again.

Archived