lock the bags?

Hi Everyone: I have a question about locking bags. I understand that when we board, we leave them at the port and they're brought to our room. Does this happen after we've already had them screened? Is there a point where we can (should?) lock them?

When leaving, I understand that we're supposed to leave them outside our door on our last night, and they're delivered somewhere in the port for us to collect after we've left the ship. Can we lock them for this stage, or do we leave them unlocked in the hallway overnight?

With regard to the last scenario, when we then transfer to the airport to fly home after the cruise, we'll likely be asked if we left the bags unattended. What do you say? After packing, they were left unattended overnight in the hallway?

Thanks!

(FIRST TIMER)

Hi Everyone: I have a question about locking bags. I understand that when we board, we leave them at the port and they're brought to our room. Does this happen after we've already had them screened? Is there a point where we can (should?) lock them?

When leaving, I understand that we're supposed to leave them outside our door on our last night, and they're delivered somewhere in the port for us to collect after we've left the ship. Can we lock them for this stage, or do we leave them unlocked in the hallway overnight?

With regard to the last scenario, when we then transfer to the airport to fly home after the cruise, we'll likely be asked if we left the bags unattended. What do you say? After packing, they were left unattended overnight in the hallway?

Thanks!

(FIRST TIMER)

We use TSA locks ... and we lock our bags before checking them at the airport, before giving them to the porters at the pier and, most definitely, before putting them outside our cabin door that last night.

I use TSA locks for traveling. They are special locks that the airport can get into if needed while keeping them locked in storage. I used them the last night of the cruise as well when I put my luggage out for going home. Some people use zip ties as well. They will alert you if someone has been thru your stuff by using different color ones than the standard black.

Hi Everyone: I have a question about locking bags. I understand that when we board, we leave them at the port and they're brought to our room. Does this happen after we've already had them screened? Is there a point where we can (should?) lock them? They should always be locked, if ship security needs a look, they will inform you and you have to go to security (aka naughty room).

When leaving, I understand that we're supposed to leave them outside our door on our last night, and they're delivered somewhere in the port for us to collect after we've left the ship. Can we lock them for this stage, or do we leave them unlocked in the hallway overnight? Again lock them. They will collect them overnight and taken to the luggage collection area on the dock.

With regard to the last scenario, when we then transfer to the airport to fly home after the cruise, we'll likely be asked if we left the bags unattended. What do you say? After packing, they were left unattended overnight in the hallway? Up to you:D :rolleyes:

Thanks!

(FIRST TIMER)

:cool:

ALWAYS lock your bags! They have NO REASON to open them. Even at the airport, unless they truly suspect something, they won't open them, and they should be locked.

The cruiseline doesn't operate under TSA rules and NO ONE should be in your things.

Lock your bags.

I never lock my bags....that's just advertising that there's something valuable in them. I've never had a problem. I keep valuable with me, and if someone really wants my underwear that badly, they can have them.

I never lock mine either, flying or cruising. I figure anyone wants inside will get in anyway, I'd just as soon they not destroy my case in the process (especially airline baggage handlers are bad enough about that to start with). Besides being cheap, that's also why I don't have expensive luggage.;)

Fair winds,

JHC

I've had luggage tampered with in the past after flying home from Cuba. I wasn't so much concerned with what may have been removed from my bags but what might have been placed in there.

Now I always lock my bags before leaving home and add cable ties. Likewise I do the same before placing them outside the cabin on the last night.

On my last cruise in April, our luggage was delayed at Heathrow and was delivered to our Houston hotel the following evening. One of the locks was missing.

Our airline requires the luggage be locked for our flight, and plan to lock ours for embarkation and debarkation on our upcoming cruise. I hadn't thought of using zip ties - I might consider it. On a trip to the US last year, we used the TSA locks. When we arrived, my wife found a note from the TSA in one of her bags!

I never lock my bags....that's just advertising that there's something valuable in them. I've never had a problem. I keep valuable with me, and if someone really wants my underwear that badly, they can have them.

I'm with you on that! Never lock 'em, never will. Never put anything worth stealing in them either.

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person who doesn't bother locking my bags! I see there are a few others.

As for what to say when they ask if you left your bags unattended, I was honest. I can't remember where I was when they asked (must have been when I left Amsterdam), but he didn't seem surprised, when I explained the circumstances, so he must have heard it before. He didn't question me about it beyond that.

i lock them getting on or off the ship..and use cable ties for flying....the TSA locks are fine, but often, the key isn't around, or they are too lazy to get it and they cut them off anyhow....(i've witnessed this and was also told so much by a TSA trainer...!)

plus, the TSA is NOT required to reclose it if they cut off the lock or cable tie...generally they will, but on more than one occasion when they cut the tie off my bag, all i got was the letter...

DO NOT ever ever ever pack valuables or MEDICINE in checked bags.....if it gets lost or the bag delayed....do NOT blame the airline! (i was behind a woman who blamed the airline for delaying her bag..and her kids' medicine...the agent told her she shouldn't have done that..and I told her to NOT yell at the agent for HER stupid planning!-sorry---had to vent!)

We take anything that is really valuable with us....and if you're concerned about leaving your luggage out at the end of the cruise...put your dirty laundry right at the top....NOBODY will want to go through your luggage then!!!

• 1 month later...

This is exactly how I feel. I've never locked mine either...there isn't anything in them that anyone would want.

I lock my luggage. Not because there's anything of value in there (though clothes can be expensive) but rather I don't want to end up with something extra at the end of my trip. I've watched way too many movies and read way too many books where something was added to luggage for my taste!

Or just maybe I need to find different reading and viewing material.

TSA rules are TSA rules.. Use TSA locks.,.

Most if not ail the cruise lines strongly suggest that you lock your luggage embarking and disembarking.. The baggage handlers are NOT cruise line employees.. They are long shore-men.. (Nothing against long shore-men either)

My choice is TSA locks both flying and cruising..

Next cruise I am driving to port so I only have to worry about getting on and off the ship..

Safe and happy cruising...

Good grief...I can't believe that so many are so blase! It's not all about theft of your personal items - valuable or not - it's about not being a drug "mule" or unknowingly transporting an explosive item on board for someone else.

Archived