Ship Emergency Codes

Can someone advise of the different emergency codes being used on cruise ships?

Alpha = medical

Bravo = Fire

Delta = ?

Papa = ?

Oscar = overboard

any others??

Mr. Skylight ~ On PA system to let crew members know there is a minor emergency on board.

Mr. Mob ~ On PA system means Man Over Board.

Bravo Bravo Bravo ~ On PA system to alert crew of a fire or other serious incident on board ship.

• Thanks 1

The link you posted is for the flag message system. The codes they use over the PA are totally different and may vary from cruise line to cruise line.

The Op didn't ask about the PA specifically. That was mentioned by someone else.

Those flags may not coincide with every on board code, but some do.

Also, let's not forget the sound signals. For example, 7 short, one long means man the lifeboats.

• 2 months later...

I can confirm Alpha as medical emergency

Because it was called FOR ME

Last year on the Pacific Princess, on our Tahiti - Hawaii cruise..2 days from any land...

I sliced/ripped deeply the pad of my big toe half off..

blood spurting everywhere in the Horizon Court ...

my hands arms, legs were covered as I tried

to apply pressure to hold it together before medical help arrived napkins were drenched as my fellow passengers came to my aid

how can a person bleed that much?

and then the room started spinning

it seemed to take forever...finally I heard ALPHA ALPHA ALPHA..Horizon Court immediatley..and then it was announced again a 2nd time...

we had really rough seas, so I was super glued back together..

we had been onboard for 17 days already..so I was totally pampered in my recovery...plus it was princess' fault..long story.

Maitre Medicine as Renzo called it aka any alcohol I wanted was a wonderful enhancement to the pain meds

• Thanks 1

I'm ready to get blasted but....

there is no international standard for these alams/codes.

The IMO/USCG/others only rate ships on their ability to respond to emergencies. What signal they use to alert the crew is of no significance.

Thay can announce 'ferrets on lido deck" to get the emergency response underway...as long as the response happens, who cares?

Each line has an operations protocol that sets 'their' codes. As long as the crew knows these codes the ship is in compliance.

So enjoy talking about it ... but the discussion is moot.

seven short blasts of the ships whistle to announce a general emergency is as close as you are gonna get....and that one ain't in the International Rules of The Road. 5 plus short DOES announce a shipboard emergency to ships in the area

From the International Rules of the Road for vessels on the seas:

"(d) When vessels in sight of one another are approaching each other and from any cause either vessel fails to understand the intentions or actions of the other, or is in doubt whether sufficient action is being taken by the other to avoid collision, the vessel in doubt shall immediately indicate such doubt by giving at least five short and rapid blasts on the whistle."

A vessel with an emergency such as a fire or a man overboard which is about to maneuver (erractically) to deal with this emergency is to sound this signal....

• Like 1

The only times I've heard "Bravo Bravo Bravo" on board, it has always been preceeded by the announcement "For practice only, for practice only" for which I'm glad!

Other codes :

Whiskey Whiskey Whiskey: The bar is open.

Yankee Yankee Yankee: The New York Harbour Pilot is now aboard.

Tango Foxtrot: Let's dance!

VP

• Haha 2

I believe it must be different from cruise line to cruise. The reason I believe this is because I was very recently on ship that had a man who jumped overboard. The PA code announced by the Captain was "Bravo Bravo".

However, my SO works for a different cruise line and for them Bravo is the code for fire.

• 7 months later...
"Alpha" is a medical emergency

"Bravo" is a fire

"Charlie" is a bomb threat

"Omega" is man overboard

I was recently on board an RCCL cruise when the call "Echo Echo Echo" was repeated a couple times. We happened to be getting ready to depart a port and the seas were a bit rough, if that was a clue.

But I never figured out what had occurred.

Other codes :

Whiskey Whiskey Whiskey: The bar is open.

Yankee Yankee Yankee: The New York Harbour Pilot is now aboard.

Tango Foxtrot: Let's dance!

VP

There's also the much dreaded:

This little piggy went to market: the buffet's out of bacon

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
I was recently on board an RCCL cruise when the call "Echo Echo Echo" was repeated a couple times. We happened to be getting ready to depart a port and the seas were a bit rough, if that was a clue.

But I never figured out what had occurred.

Echo Echo Echo was called several times when the Carnival Legend collided with the RCCL Enchantment this past Wednesday. We were indeed in port and the seas were rough. The Legend was blown right into the EOS and Echo was called before, during and after the collision.

Would be interesting to know what it means, didn't think to ask a crewmember.

• 6 months later...
Can someone advise of the different emergency codes being used on cruise ships?

Alpha = medical

Bravo = Fire

Delta = ?

Papa = ?

Oscar = overboard

any others??

These are the codes used by NCL.

Alpha = Medical Emergency

Bravo = Fire

Delta = Damage to the ship

Papa = Some form of Pollution has occurred (Oil spill, etc)

Oscar = Man Overboard

They will always announce the code 3 times and the location. One way to see the crew in action is to watch the crew drill, normally held once a week.