Would like to hear experience on Princess Sapphire in Alasaka.

travelbug2225

Both Holland America and Princess are great cruise lines.

I have been on the Sapphire once (not to Alaska) and am sailing it again in a few months for 2 weeks.

I would base your decision on itineraries as in Alaska - it is the scenery and ports that matter. Both lines will provide and excellent experience.

We did Alaska last year with Princess on the Coral. And we did a 6 day precruise land tour, also with Princess. In our opinion, they did it right. I think that a land tour in Alaska is a must as a compliment to your cruise. The inside passage and ports are something to see, but going up to Denali is also well worth the time and cost.

We enjoyed the trip so much that we booked another cruise tour with Princess on the Sapphire in Australia and New Zealand last winter. The Sapphire is a newer and larger ship, and we enjoyed the additional dining options and facilities. Both trips were great. Thumbs up for Princess, Sapphire and Alaska.:cool:

My wife and I took the Princess Sapphire out of Vancouver on May 31st bound for Whittier. We had been on several cruises in the Carribbean, but never Alaska. We expected similar service and food quality. Unfortunately, we were disappointed. In particular, the food was just okay (not bad, but I could have gone to an Applebees and had as good a meal). That's not to say that there weren't special meals that I really liked. But, overall, it was just OK.

Our room steward was excellent, but our waiter kept asking us what we were going to rate the food and service at the end of the cruise. I thought it was an inappropriate question to ask and just made a joke of it. He was serious! Evidently, he was looking for a promotion and was trying to make us feel guilty. If it wasn't for the great work of his assistant, I would have rated the service poor.

The two days on the cruise that we toured Glacier Bay and College Fjord were incredible (Making up for the food and service). Of the three ports were visited, Skagway was the only one my wife and I really liked (with Ketchikan in second). We loved Vancouver - where the cruise ship departed. We spend two days there and it wasn't enough.

In retrospect, my wife and I concluded that the majority of the passengers were senior citizens. Maybe Princess was catering to the tastes of older people. I'm not sure. But I did notice that most of the music playing in the common areas was from the 40's and 50's. If you wanted to hear anything more recent, you had to go into the nightclubs. That should have given me an indication of how the 7 days would go.

Don't misunderstand me. The ship was beautiful and the scenic wonders were incredible. However, maybe HAL would be better.

In retrospect, my wife and I concluded that the majority of the passengers were senior citizens. Maybe Princess was catering to the tastes of older people. I'm not sure. But I did notice that most of the music playing in the common areas was from the 40's and 50's. If you wanted to hear anything more recent, you had to go into the nightclubs. That should have given me an indication of how the 7 days would go.

Don't misunderstand me. The ship was beautiful and the scenic wonders were incredible. However, maybe HAL would be better.

Alaska over all attracts people who are older. Even Carnival ships has an older group onboard their sailings.

We did Alaska last year with Princess on the Coral. And we did a 6 day precruise land tour, also with Princess. In our opinion, they did it right. I think that a land tour in Alaska is a must as a compliment to your cruise. The inside passage and ports are something to see, but going up to Denali is also well worth the time and cost.

We enjoyed the trip so much that we booked another cruise tour with Princess on the Sapphire in Australia and New Zealand last winter. The Sapphire is a newer and larger ship, and we enjoyed the additional dining options and facilities. Both trips were great. Thumbs up for Princess, Sapphire and Alaska.:cool:

I would like to hear about your land part of the tour. We are also doing land tour.

We loved doing Alaska on Sapphire Princess! She is a beautiful ship.

OTOH we also loved doing Alaska on HAL!!

For our reports of seven cruises to Alaska on both Princess and HAL, go to

http://bully4.us/cruising.html

and scroll down to the thumbnail pictures.

This may give you a good chance to compare ships.

I know that whichever ship you pick you will have a GREAT cruise!

Like Stormkrow8, I too was on the May 31 sailing of the Sapphire Princess and have some comments to make.

This was my second cruise to Alaska; first one was about 18 years ago on the original Pacific Princess of "Love Boat" days. Both cruises were taken at about the same time of the season, first week in June. Back then the average age of those cruising was probably 70; in my entire life it really was the oldest group of people that I have ever cruised with. On this recent Sapphire Princess Cruise I was pleasantly surprised to find what I thought was a good mix of ages aboard. There were honeymooners in the cabin next to us and another pair just down the hall from us, and it seemed to me that the 40 and 50 somethings were all well represented. There also was a good bit of multi-generational family groups on board; one family, we learned, had four generations on board and that great-grandpa was 92. Let's face it, cruises to Alaska are not party ships. Alaska is not the first place most people think of for vacation. It attracts a different kind person, I think, someone who is more interested in nature or native culture.

Cruising early in the season you also end up avoiding many of the family groups that would naturally skew the on board demographics younger. Personally, I do not travel during the peak summer season when every family is out there with all the kids; but this is my decision to do so and that results in traveling with an older crowd.

This was my second time cruising on the Sapphire Princess and she is a beauty! Overall I found the level of service provided to be very high both times with our cabin stewards being the true standouts. We had anytime dining and the service was variable from good to excellent depending on which table you are seated at and who the servers were. There are people who will find waiters they really like and then ask to be seated at their tables every night; I like taking my chances and enjoy the variety of anytime dining with different servers each night.

I do have to agree with Stormkrow8 that for the most part the cuisine was un-inspired. Nothing wrong with it, but not much that was memorable either. That said, I have found that the seafood selections tend to be very dependable; and being a seafood lover, I was usually pleased with my meal selection. The never-ending supply of cookies in the Horizon Court buffet was also very appealing.

As for tours, in Ketchikan I cannot say enough good things about the "Lighthouse, totems, and eagles excursion" with Captain Ron and his dog Princess. If you have come to Alaska to see eagles, this is the tour for you! In Juneau, I enjoyed the "Taste of Alaska" tour; the Alaskan Brewing Company is a fun place where they actually encourage you to sample all the varieties of beer they brew; I got a really delicious recipe for salmon at the Chez Alaska Cooking School (I'm the cook in the family); and finally the Mendenhall Glacier is a must-see sight in Juneau. Being a dog lover, in Skagway I opted for the "Alaska sled dog and musher's camp" and was not disappointed; a ride in a wheeled sled behind a team of 16 Alaskan huskies is a thrill I won't soon forget. Princess has so many tours that certainly anyone can find something that will appeal to them to do.

If time and budget allow, certainly book a land tour. By traveling through the interior of Alaska you truly get an appreciation for the vastness of the land. And the majesty of Denali cannot be underestimated. The beauty of an Alaskan Cruise is that you can only see what most consider the high points of the cruise from the ship: Glacier Bay and College Fjord. Both are simply magnificent and can only be fully appreciated by visiting them; both will leave you speechless.

I would be remiss if I did not mention the superb naturalist Kathy Slamp who was aboard our cruise this June. Kathy lived in Alaska as a child and gives a unique perspective into the life there. Her presentations were completely professional, thoroughly enjoyable, and totally insightful. She was the ship's personal travel guide during the cruise and added so much to the total experience. It was such a pleasure to have her on board.

I love cruising Alaska and will definitely go back a third time because there is so much more to discover there.

Steve

Wow. This is the first time I've ever heard the suggestion to take HAL over Princess because of older people population demographics. :D :D Actually Alaska overall attracts an older clientele. Seriously we took the Sapphire for our Alaska cruise and she is a gorgeous ship. All was well. I agree inre to the variety of excursions available from Princess. There is a wide variety to choose from. You should enjoy this ship very much. Have fun. :)

We got back today from an Alaska landtour followed by 7 day cruise on Sapphire Princess from Whittier, docking in Vancouver yesterday. We found the whole holiday wonderful with so many great highlights. Would be pleased to answer any questions.

Next year is our middle son's turn for a vacation on us..... he let his sons choose..... they chose a cruise to Alaska. They are 8 and 5.... so Alaska is not just for seniors... even young people can appreciate the nature and wildlife seen only in this beautiful state. The Princess itinerary worked for us, so we'll be on the Sapphire June 6, 2009. Food quality???? We always have had enough to eat and never choose a cruise line because of the food quality, but because of where they sail to and when. I've NEVER been on a cruise that wasn't my favorite!!!

I was on this ship in 06. I loved it. i found most peopel to be in their 40's and 50's but we did have children under 15 all over the place. I went in july. the food was good aND mostly hot. my cabin was wonderful. spent many mornings in a bathrobe watching Alaska go by before we docked.

it was warm enough to use the hot tub.

music- really do not remember.. read aloot at night or was in the cigar bar.

We spent almost 3 weeks on the Sapphire in 2007 (b2b2b) and really enjoyed the experience. She is a lovely ship, and on our trips there was a good mix of age groups. We had the "kids" with us - 2 19 year olds - they found friends to enjoy evenings with. We enjoyed the 4 anytime dining restaurants, and the specialty dishes that each one offered.

There was plenty to do aboard, and of course, the best part with Alaska is the scenery!

Archived