RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

Gorgeous photos, Greg...you had an incredible palate with which to work! ...

Very true.

As wonderful as the photos are, they cannot fully capture the spirit on that ship on her maiden voyage, the ships elegance, the unbelievably fantastic crew and terrific dining...though they could not come much closer.:)

Fine job!

For those of you experiencing this cruise vicariously through this thread, I hope you are encouraged to sail Eurodam and experience her inexhaustible charm for yourself. It really is as wonderful as she has been presented here by the Rev.

To those CCers we met on this cruise - warm greetings. To those we did not - smooth sailing and see you perhaps later on another Dam ship.

I also want to know if there is one complete review?

Also, do you have the Tamerind or Canelleto lunch menu?

Those menus have been posted here somewhere, Jade. At least, the one for the Tamarind. Perhaps you can do a search.

Rev Neal:

Bottom line- would you recommend this ship or not???

Your opinion is most valued..

The bottom line will have to depend upon what you're looking for in a cruise. Allow me to summarize it this way:

1. If you like large ships,

2. If you like the Vista ships,

3. If you like having multiple dining options rather than strictly "traditional,"

4. If you don't mind being aboard ship with 2100 other people ...

... IF the above conditions are true for you, I can and do recommend the Eurodam.

If, however, you prefer the older, smaller, less-crowded HAL ships and a more "traditional" dining scheme, you may not like the Eurodam.

Personally, I liked many aspects about the ship, with my only systemic problem being her sea-days over-crowding in the main dining room and the Lido.

I also want to know if there is one complete review?

Also, do you have the Tamerind or Canelleto lunch menu?

The Canelletto doesn't have a lunch service.

The Tamarind has a great lunch ... it's a broad selection of dim sum items. Very good.

I've not put together a comprehensive review yet. I've been very busy at church and trying to finish my photo galleries. Once I have the photo galleries done I'm probably going to write up a comprehensive review based (in part) upon this thread and upon those photos.

RevNeal, I want to thank you very much for a most comprehensive assessment of this new ship. I read many bits of this thread to my mom and we have decided to abandon this ship (as it were ;) ) for something smaller.

Your photos were spectacular and have inspired me to plan a European cruise for 2010.

Thanks again!

Tracy

The Canelletto doesn't have a lunch service.

The Tamarind has a great lunch ... it's a broad selection of dim sum items. Very good.

I've not put together a comprehensive review yet. I've been very busy at church and trying to finish my photo galleries. Once I have the photo galleries done I'm probably going to write up a comprehensive review based (in part) upon this thread and upon those photos.

I'm not trying to tip your hand here, but in the light of the CC article on "Maiden Voyages", would you agree that the over-all hype of the maiden voyage did not live up to expectations? I must admit for all the hoopla with the website and all, it really was "just another cruise", albeit a HAL cruise?

Your thoughts?

Smooth sailing...

I'm not trying to tip your hand here, but in the light of the CC article on "Maiden Voyages", would you agree that the over-all hype of the maiden voyage did not live up to expectations? I must admit for all the hoopla with the website and all, it really was "just another cruise", albeit a HAL cruise?

Your thoughts?

Smooth sailing...

Did they give out a commemorative tile and/or plate and what do they look like? Someone in Seattle indicated they were planning on giving these to everyone on the 3 night out of NY (and may have been giving them out all summer). Any info?

Did they give out a commemorative tile and/or plate and what do they look like? Someone in Seattle indicated they were planning on giving these to everyone on the 3 night out of NY (and may have been giving them out all summer). Any info?

Well, we boarded on July 5 for the 10 day "inaugural". We received the usual tiles but an additional "inaugural" plate with an image of the Eurodam (I think it was Delft).

Your thoughts?

Smooth sailing...

They "hype" is overrated given what they give (or, as the case may be, DON'T give) you. Yes, it's "just another HAL cruise." However, it IS the first one for the paying public for THAT ship, and there IS something about being aboard for that. It's not tangible, but it's there. Additionally, a MAJOR component (for me, about 75%) of the allure of the Maiden Voyage of the Eurodam were the identities of my fellow CCers who were cruising. :D It was as much a string of "social events" as it was anything else; I got to see a lot of wonderful friends again, I got to meet some new friends, and I enjoyed the "events." That's what it was about, to me ... the people. I'll do both Northern European itineraries again ... but I'll probably do them on a smaller ship, with a smaller group of CCer friends (enough to fill just one table!). :D

They gave out an Inaugural Cruise Tile -- a bigger tile than the normal Mariner Tile (I need to scan it in and post it here). They gave us a book on the Eurodam. And, they gave us Inaugural cruise plates. I also got a Eurodam lapel pin and, of course, the opportunity to buy a lot of Inaugural "junk" in the store. They didn't have any E Dam cups aboard, and no models of the Eurodam when I was there. Sad ... I collect both the letter-Dam cups, ship cups, and the ship-models.

Greg, If I wanted to try the Eurodam for my First "Big Boat" would you recommend her over say the Noordam?

<sigh>

I am biased here, because the Noordam is my favorite of HAL's "big ships." I would pick the Noordam over the Eurodam if only because the Explorations Cafe is located just forward the ship's stores on the promenade deck ... WHERE IT BELONGS ... and not crammed into too-small of space on the starboard side of the Crows Nest. However, the Tamarind and the Silk Den are a VERY nice additive that the Noordam doesn't have.

All things considered, I would recommend the Noordam. She has about 100 fewer passengers and I believe the public spaces are better distributed. I also like the interior decor of the Noordam better than the Eurodam's decor (and that's saying a LOT, because I also liked the decor of the Eurodam).

<sigh>

I am biased here, because the Noordam is my favorite of HAL's "big ships." I would pick the Noordam over the Eurodam if only because the Explorations Cafe is located just forward the ship's stores on the promenade deck ... WHERE IT BELONGS ... and not crammed into too-small of space on the starboard side of the Crows Nest. However, the Tamarind and the Silk Den are a VERY nice additive that the Noordam doesn't have.

All things considered, I would recommend the Noordam. She has about 100 fewer passengers and I believe the public spaces are better distributed. I also like the interior decor of the Noordam better than the Eurodam's decor (and that's saying a LOT, because I also liked the decor of the Eurodam).

Hmm, I liked the Westerdam decor better than the Noordam. One example was the blue/green Chihuly chandelier in the dining room on Westerdam vs. the Red Chuhuly chandelier on the Noordam. I preferred the blue/green colors. We were fortunate to sit underneath both. Note I was on Westedam after the May 2007 drydock and liked it better although in July 2007 they had still not upgraded to the flat screen TV's. I thought there appeared to be a better art collection on Westerdam as well. I never used the Explorations Cafe but walked by it all the time on Noordam and don't even remember it on Westerdam.

It will be interesting to compare Eurodam next week. We will be in the real "PH" up on Deck 11. It will be interesting to check out the green/brown decor too. They wanted to upgrade me and I said no and then they called and wanted to give me $100 OBC to switch to 5:45pm dining when we had confirmed 8:00pm last November. I said no. I then got concerned and finally had my PCC and Coordinator confirm a 2 top in writing although I do not have the name of the dining room manager on-board (do you have his name?). I am hoping with preparation this 3 night goes smoothly.

Hopefully we will have a good time (service on Noordam was a disappointment - mainly dining room and room service and out of most Elemis), cruise on HAL and meet you one of these days.

Hmm, I liked the Westerdam decor better than the Noordam. One example was the blue/green Chihuly chandelier in the dining room on Westerdam vs. the Red Chuhuly chandelier on the Noordam. I preferred the blue/green colors. We were fortunate to sit underneath both. Note I was on Westedam after the May 2007 drydock and liked it better although in July 2007 they had still not upgraded to the flat screen TV's. I thought there appeared to be a better art collection on Westerdam as well. I never used the Explorations Cafe but walked by it all the time on Noordam and don't even remember it on Westerdam.

It just goes to show that we're all different ... and that's a GOOD thing. :) I prefer the Noordam over the Westerdam. :D

They gave out an Inaugural Cruise Tile -- a bigger tile than the normal Mariner Tile (I need to scan it in and post it here). They gave us a book on the Eurodam. And, they gave us Inaugural cruise plates. I also got a Eurodam lapel pin and, of course, the opportunity to buy a lot of Inaugural "junk" in the store. They didn't have any E Dam cups aboard, and no models of the Eurodam when I was there. Sad ... I collect both the letter-Dam cups, ship cups, and the ship-models.

Just seeing if we're on the same page and looks like we're not;)

At the inaugural ceremony, everyone in attendance (until they - HAL - ran out) received a plate with the "Queen's Christening" on them plus the Eurodam inaugural book. Since we waited for the Queen's departure after her VIP tour of the ship, we were one of the last and received one, not two, plates. Some folks behind us received neither

On the two cruises itself (prelude and 10-day roundtrip Copenhagen), we received two Mariner tiles (see below) plus two additional Eurodam plates without the "Queen's Christening" on them

NewYork.jpg

Just seeing if we're on the same page and looks like we're not;)

At the inaugural ceremony, everyone in attendance (until they - HAL - ran out) received a plate with the "Queen's Christening" on them plus the Eurodam inaugural book. Since we waited for the Queen's departure after her VIP tour of the ship, we were one of the last and received one, not two, plates. Some folks behind us received neither

On the two cruises itself (prelude and 10-day roundtrip Copenhagen), we received two Mariner tiles (see below) plus two additional Eurodam plates without the "Queen's Christening" on them

NewYork.jpg

Correct ... the Inaugural Tile they gave us for the July 5th sailing looks just like the plate except it doesn't say "Queen's Christening" on it.

The plate we received for the July 5 and July 15th cruises lacked "Queen's Christening."

We got the same Mariner tile on both July 5 and 5th sailings.

Correct ... the Inaugural Tile they gave us for the July 5th sailing looks just like the plate except it doesn't say "Queen's Christening" on it.

The plate we received for the July 5 and July 15th cruises lacked "Queen's Christening."

Okay, I've photographed the plates. I need to download the shots from my camera and I'll upload them (later today).

For NOW ... here's my next gallery ... Stavanger, Norway.

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/eurodam2008/PhotoAlbum290.html

r

May I ask, what exactly is a Mariner Tile ? Are they only given to certain cruisers ?

We sailed with Hal for the first time last year and I didn't see any Mariner Tiles. (didn't know to look for them perhaps).

They seem like a fun commemorative from a cruise.Can you purchase them onboard.??

They appear to be some what "delft" like from the posting. What size are they?

Clearly I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to Hal cruising ,thanks for your time.:)

Archived