RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

I have to agree the Explorations Cafe is extremely cramped. I wish they would have kept it theway it is on the Noordam. Personally I think they got the Noordam right so why fool with perfection:D

I will say I really like what they did with the Explorer's Lounge. But the Pinnacle Bar just does not fit what I think should be attached to a fine dining restaurant :eek:

Greg, thanks again for your great photos :)

I agree, Lisa. I love the Noordam, and even though she's the only ship we've sailed on with HAL, I think she's designed perfectly.

I agree, Lisa. I love the Noordam, and even though she's the only ship we've sailed on with HAL, I think she's designed perfectly.

I, too, love the Noordam. They really got the Vista class right when they did that ship. While I also love the Oosterdam, I am still partial to the Noordam.

My favorite ship, however, is the Rotterdam.

Here's an interesting question ... why does the Eurodam's current deckplans, found on the HAL website, say they're effective until October 10, 2009???? Are they planning major changes in October 2009?

Also ... I just checked the deckplans and, clearly, they didn't configure the Explorations Cafe as the deckplans indicate. On the deckplans the space is MUCH larger.

I think it's "odd" to have the Explorations Cafe up with the Crow's Nest. I just love the way it is on the Noordam...going down to Deck 3, walking through the shops toward the Explorations Cafe, grabbing an Espresso and going on line or lounging in the chairs. Then taking a stroll on the Promenade Deck. Perfect, IMHO! I think I'm going to begin counting the days..... ;)

Thanks for the pictures, I am enjoying the tour! I feel like I am there. One question, would you find it inappropriate to bring a 4 year old in the Explorer's lounge with the classical music? My DD loves music and would love to quietly listen for a few minutes. I would normally not bring my kid into a place where alcohol is being served, but usually people listening to classical music are not a rowdy bunch!! I have gotten some feedback on this already and just trying to get a range of opinions.

One question, would you find it inappropriate to bring a 4 year old in the Explorer's lounge with the classical music? My DD loves music and would love to quietly listen for a few minutes.

I see no reason not to bring your DD to the Explorers Lounge. The music is at one end, with the seating facing in that direction. The bar is at the other end. In no way should that be construed as bringing a child to a bar. As long as the child is quiet, in accordance with the atmosphere of the lounge, it would be charming to see a child appreciating the music presented there.

As a matter of fact, the E-dam is the only HAL ship with a bar in the Explorers Lounge.

Thanks for the pictures, I am enjoying the tour! I feel like I am there. One question, would you find it inappropriate to bring a 4 year old in the Explorer's lounge with the classical music? My DD loves music and would love to quietly listen for a few minutes. I would normally not bring my kid into a place where alcohol is being served, but usually people listening to classical music are not a rowdy bunch!! I have gotten some feedback on this already and just trying to get a range of opinions.

Oh, definitely bring her. The Explorer's Lounge is a lovely, quiet lounge. The bar is a bit strange, however it's not a loud or rowdy place. And, as you can see in my photos, it's divided off from the rest of the Lounge by a ramp up and a short "wall." Take her!

I'd follow the advice of RuthC and RevNeal. During our first cruise on the Noordam, we often stopped at the Explorers Lounge after dinner to enjoy to the music. I recall one family with a little girl, perhaps 6 yerars old, and she sat very quietly, enraptured by the music.

I like the Sports Bar...seems nicer and less congested than on the Vista ships. Although, I must admit, we never set foot in there! Love the color scheme of the Lido, too.

I have to ask you...how did you get so many great photos sans people?

What a great way to spend a Saturday evening...trying to relax after a hectic weekend here at the Inn!

Thanks, Greg! :cool:

Here's the Silk Den and the Tamarind Restaurant.

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/eurodam2008/PhotoAlbum280.html

And that's all for now.

I'm exhausted!

And I've hardly scratched the surface when it comes to photographs from the cruise! :D There's LOTS more to come!

Wonderful photos...seems as though the Silk Den and the Tamarind are the jewels of the Eurodam

Thank you so much for such a great photo journey. That's a lot of work! :D

I like the Sports Bar...seems nicer and less congested than on the Vista ships. Although, I must admit, we never set foot in there! Love the color scheme of the Lido, too.

I have to ask you...how did you get so many great photos sans people?

What a great way to spend a Saturday evening...trying to relax after a hectic weekend here at the Inn!

Thanks, Greg! :cool:

You're welcome.

As for how I got so many pictures sans people ...

I took some of them when we were in-port in Germany. I didn't get off the ship, but about 1500 people did. The place was like a ghost ship. :) I also took a lot of photos late -- after midnight -- when lots of people were in bed.

Wonderful photos...seems as though the Silk Den and the Tamarind are the jewels of the Eurodam. :D

Oh, absolutely! They did get a few things "right" on the Eurodam ... the Silk Den and the Tamarind are among the very best things! I also like the reconfigured Sports Bar and some aspects of the Crows nest. However, the execution of the Explorations Cafe was botched. I understand the thinking behind putting it up on the observation deck. It frees up space for more shopping down on the promenade deck. It also gives those in the Explorations Cafe a good view. :) But, as they've executed it on the Eurodam, it's just awful ... cramped and nearly unusable.

You're welcome.

As for how I got so many pictures sans people ...

I took some of them when we were in-port in Germany. I didn't get off the ship, but about 1500 people did. The place was like a ghost ship. :) I also took a lot of photos late -- after midnight -- when lots of people were in bed.

You're dedicated, Greg! I thought it must have been on a port day when you stayed on the ship. Beautiful photos for sure.

Lordy, hope this isn't too tasteless, but that sculpture looks like something a Gastroenterologist would target on a colonoscopy.

(... but I guess the editor will cut this comment if it's beyond what is acceptable)

Oh, I hope your post stays - LOL :D - that's an even better title for it than what the staff are calling it (jellyfish) or the even ruder appellation (c*nd*m pile) on Rev Neal's website!

My WORD, that thing is ugly! I can't imagine what they thought they were doing. I'm sure it cost big bucks, too. Some of the other things strike me as design missteps (e.g., the Pinnacle Bar chairs), but ok, tastes differ, and if you're into high-tech industrial modern, maybe they'd be up your alley. But that sculpture - OMG! :eek:

... However, the execution of the Explorations Cafe was botched. I understand the thinking behind putting it up on the observation deck. It frees up space for more shopping down on the promenade deck. It also gives those in the Explorations Cafe a good view. :) But, as they've executed it on the Eurodam, it's just awful ... cramped and nearly unusable.

I liked it on the Westerdam, but from your photos, I tend to agree - it looks like they did it differently on the Eurodam, and it doesn't quite work.

Oh, I hope your post stays - LOL :D - that's an even better title for it than what the staff are calling it (jellyfish) or the even ruder appellation (c*nd*m pile) on Rev Neal's website!

No need to obscure the appellation. Brian referenced so-nick-named it on this board when photos of it first appeared on the Eurodam News blog. It not only stuck, but it's one of the terms used for it by the staff.

I liked it on the Westerdam, but from your photos, I tend to agree - it looks like they did it differently on the Eurodam, and it doesn't quite work.

They had more room to work with on the Westerdam -- they took out the Oak Room, for one thing, to make it work. On the Eurodam there are cabins just abaft the location. Additionally, they didn't do what the deck plan says and use up half the Observation Deck forward space (i.e. the Crowsnest space) ... but only a third of it.

Lordy, hope this isn't too tasteless, but that sculpture looks like something a Gastroenterologist would target on a colonoscopy.

(... but I guess the editor will cut this comment if it's beyond what is acceptable)

LOL! That's gut-busting funny.

Now that I've seen all your photos I am even more excited for the NY Introduction! Thank you for taking the time to share the photos and with the accompanying details. You provided many different angles that allow us to see all the details. Thank you:D ! They are going in my favorites!

Archived