RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

Where did the name Westerdam come from?

Most, except Prinsendam, Statendam, Ryndam, the four Vista's and Eurodam are names of cities originally built near dams in rivers. i.e. Amsterdam, the capitol, originated in the 12th century when a dam was built on the river Amstel. Amstel was later changed in Amster

Prinsendam - based on the Princes of the House of Orange

Statendam - based on the original seven Dutch provinces

Maasdam - city in province Zuid Holland

Ryndam - dam in the river Rhine

Veendam - city in province Groningen

Rotterdam - city in province Zuid Holland

Amsterdam - city in province Noord Holland

Volendam - city in province Noord Holland

Zaandam - city in province Noord Holland

Zuiderdam - compass heading south

Oosterdam - compass heading east

Westerdam - compass heading west

Noordam - compass heading north

Eurodam - Based on HAL's origin in Europe

But the last time around, only HAL employees got to vote.

That was the contest, but the employees I know dont like the name at all. For a long time, there was a joke running through the halls of Seattle...

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Eurodam

Eurodam who?

Eur-o-dam fool for naming the new ship Eurodam

Most, except Prinsendam, Statendam, Ryndam, the four Vista's and Eurodam are names of cities originally built near dams in rivers. i.e. Amsterdam, the capitol, originated in the 12th century when a dam was built on the river Amstel. Amstel was later changed in Amster

Prinsendam - based on the Princes of the House of Orange

Statendam - based on the original seven Dutch provinces

Maasdam - city in province Zuid Holland

Ryndam - dam in the river Rhine

Veendam - city in province Groningen

Rotterdam - city in province Zuid Holland

Amsterdam - city in province Noord Holland

Volendam - city in province Noord Holland

Zaandam - city in province Noord Holland

Zuiderdam - compass heading south

Oosterdam - compass heading east

Westerdam - compass heading west

Noordam - compass heading north

Eurodam - Based on HAL's origin in Europe

Incorrect Copper, all HAL ships, with the exception of the 'Euro'Dam, are named after existing dams, including the oosterdam etc.

My wife, daughter and I also had the pleasure of experiencing the July 15-25 cruise on the Eurodam. However, we must have spent our time in different circles than you, as I (fortunately) did not experience the misbehaving kids that this thread has discussed.

Unfortunately, I did witness my share of misbehaving adults: Older adults picking up food on the Lido buffet with their fingers; someone even picking up a muffin, looking it over and returning it to the buffet plate; a rude maitre d'table at a certain new restaurant (not the Tamarind); smokers in public areas; adults pushing in lines, etc. Guess we blame their long-departed parents too.

The world has it's share of misbehaving kids and adults. Too bad we can't just ban them all from a cruise ship. Think of all the extra room that would create for all of us "perfect" people...Ha!Ha!

Forget the Hah hah:mad:

We've already had every ship-name in the fleet except for the Eurodam (either as a -dam or -dyke).

Maybe HAL has enough ships for awhile:confused:

Concentrate on improving the cruise experience.:)

Get better---or worse. There's no standing still.

if Adele asked for any compensation for the raw sewage in her stateroom incident(s)? And if you know, what was the compensation for it? To me that is horrible. It would really bum me out. I assume with the ship being sold out the couldn't move her. If that happened to me I would be on edge every time I went back to my room or opened my bathroom door just waiting to find the mess again.

I hope it is fixed!!

Tom

Sure they are, don't forget your Madurodam:cool:

LOL----I remember my parents taking me there when I was about twelve. I thought it was the most amazing place I had ever seen in my young life. It would be interesting to see it again as an adult.

Sure they are, don't forget your Madurodam:cool:

LOL----I remember my parents taking me there when I was about twelve. I thought it was the most amazing place I had ever seen in my young life. It would be interesting to see it again as an adult.

It is still there and still very interesting. Many updates are often done, so certainly worth a visit. Even nicer during a summernight when it is illuminated.

http://www.madurodam.nl/templates/mad/global/index.php?lngid=5&sqlmode=1&fid=638

And................guess what ..........a special this summer:

5 July until 31 August 2008: Madurodam by Light

Every evening after sunset visitors will be submerged in a fascinating Dutch fairytale that tells the story of Hansje Brinker and the fight against the water.

It is still there and still very interesting. Many updates are often done, so certainly worth a visit. Even nicer during a summernight when it is illuminated.

http://www.madurodam.nl/templates/mad/global/index.php?lngid=5&sqlmode=1&fid=638

And................guess what ..........a special this summer:

5 July until 31 August 2008: Madurodam by Light

Every evening after sunset visitors will be submerged in a fascinating Dutch fairytale that tells the story of Hansje Brinker and the fight against the water.

Thank you for the website link. Nice to know it is still there and delighting children and adults alike.

Spaarndam is bij Assendelft by the pont toch?

Yes, it still is, on the other site of Buitenhuizen, bike from there for a short while.

Next time in Assendelft you can easily go there!!!

There are plenty of traditional "dam" names available so I wouldn't go to the "dijk's" yet. If you talk to any Dutch officer, you'll find them shaking their heads about the name Eurodam. It would be nice if they picked a "traditional" name like Spaarndam but I won't be holding my breath!

Oh, I absolutely agree, John. However, if they're going to start making up more new -dam names, go with names that have a history with the line. Please??? They've already done it once, in the naming of the Oosterdam ... from the Oosterdijk (1913-1918).

Personally, I prefer Spaarndam III, Leerdam III, Dubbeldam II, or Didam II. If they're going to convert a dijk name, how about Blommersdam I. :D

I have finished the first gallery of my photo collection. Up first are photographs of the exterior of the Eurodam! This is the first step in my extensive photo tour of the ship.

Click HERE:

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/eurodam2008/PhotoAlbum273.html

Watch for more postings over the next several days. I'm going to put these up as I get them ready, and let all of you know so you don't have to wait for it all at once.

Archived