RevNeal's LIVE Eurodam Report

RevNeal

Has Oosterdam already been changed? If not, when is the ship scheduled to under go the changes?

I was on Zuiderdam in Nov. 2007. I thought I read somewhere that changes have already been made to the Zui. Is this correct?

Here's one for you experts. This painting of the Eurodam represents it leaving a European port. An English gentleman remarked to me that in Europe the buoys are the reverse of those in the U.S., so in this painting the green buoy should be on the port side going out. If that's the case, the ship is about to run aground.

What say ye?

eurodam1.jpg

Here's one for you experts. This painting of the Eurodam represents it leaving a European port. An English gentleman remarked to me that in Europe the buoys are the reverse of those in the U.S., so in this painting the green buoy should be on the port side going out. If that's the case, the ship is about to run aground.

What say ye?

eurodam1.jpg

It's a few years since I did any sailing with my sadly missed Father-in-Law (A well known and respected Irish Marine Engineer and Naval Architect), but my belief is that it would depend upon the port....

In the UK the direction of buoyage is marked on the chart, and that would dictate which side of the relevant buoy one should pass....

This site explains it far better than I ever could...

Tim

:)

Sadly, they've already decided to take up the Oak Room and part of the Crows Nest for the Explorations Cafe on the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam. I'm praying they'll change their minds and not so-mutilate the Noordam.

I can't think of a more perfect location for the Explorations Cafe than where it is located on the Noordam. But if you're going to tell me that it was located in the same place on the other Vistas? If that's the case, we can look forward to the same "mistake" on the Noordam. :(

I can't imagine sitting up on Deck 10 on a computer, or trying to read a book, with 18 foot seas! :eek: I guess these things don't concern the powers that be.

Here's the Silk Den and the Tamarind Restaurant.

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/eurodam2008/PhotoAlbum280.html

And that's all for now.

I'm exhausted!

And I've hardly scratched the surface when it comes to photographs from the cruise! :D There's LOTS more to come!

Excellent photos, Rev. You certainly beat ME to it! Still SO much to do.

What say ye?

eurodam1.jpg

The buoy has the name Maas buoy, therefore Eurodam is sailing to or from Rotterdam in this painting.

I donot know about the colours however.

I was on Zuiderdam in Nov. 2007. I thought I read somewhere that changes have already been made to the Zui. Is this correct?

We were on the Zuiderdam this April 2008...The ship had just come from dry dock and all the changes have been made...I thought the location of the library and and internet in part of the Crow's Nest was a big mistake...I am not as familiar as others about the Vista class ships but this change didn't seem like a improvement.

What say ye?

eurodam1.jpg

Would it not be determined as to whether the ship was going out to sea or returning to port? In the US, Green is on your starboard side when going out and Red is on your starboard when returning. I learned Green Go Right, and Red Right Returning. Here's a link to a website that maps it out. It's a boater ed course.

http://www.boat-ed.com/fl/course/p3-7_navaidsbuoys.htm

I can't think of a more perfect location for the Explorations Cafe than where it is located on the Noordam. But if you're going to tell me that it was located in the same place on the other Vistas? If that's the case, we can look forward to the same "mistake" on the Noordam. :( [/Quote]

The other Vistas didn't originally have an Explorations Cafe. The Noordam was the first ship to have it, followed by the retrofitting of the S and Rs. The other 3 Vistas had to have it added, and the Line is adding it on the starboard side of the crows nest, wiping out the Oak Room and the starboard side gathering room plus the starboard-forward portion of the Crows Nest.

I can't imagine sitting up on Deck 10 on a computer, or trying to read a book, with 18 foot seas! :eek: I guess these things don't concern the powers that be.

Much less 45 foot seas!!!!! :eek:

I am going through withdrawals! Please post more pictures soon!:p

I know your day job is more important;) but longing to see more from the Eurodam....All jokes aside, thanks for all of your time and efforts so far. We really appreciate it.

I understand ... and thanks! :)

I'm going to be doing some photo processing tomorrow, I hope. Today was just a very big day ... still is. We've got Vacation Bible School going on at the Church tonight (and for the rest of the week) and I've got to be in and out of that on occasion. :D

I understand ... and thanks! :)

I'm going to be doing some photo processing tomorrow, I hope. Today was just a very big day ... still is. We've got Vacation Bible School going on at the Church tonight (and for the rest of the week) and I've got to be in and out of that on occasion. :D

Ahhh-VBS. Well worth the time and effort. I actually still remember the theme songs from some of the weeks when I was a kid! I must confess I was actually trying to get some reading in when you were posting your pictures. Everytime I said I was going to close CC down and get back to reading about David running from Saul, another beautiful tour of the Eurodam popped up. I found myself saying, thank you Lord...;)

I'm glad to hear your church is having VBS. I have great memories of going to VBS as a child and then as an adult being the VBS director at our church for 4 years. I would think about the theme all year and plan activities, visuals, games, rewards, ect. Now because of health issues, I am no longer able to help with VBS.

I'll be praying for you this week. Thank you for letting us know why it will be awhile before you are able to post more pics.

Thank you for the info about the Vista class ships and the Crows Nest which is one of my favorite places on the ship. I use the internet frequently while on board and I don't have a lap top so my min. are very precious to me. The gorgeous views from the Crows nest may be too enticing to ignore and I'll "waste" some of internet minutes looking out to sea.

Would it not be determined as to whether the ship was going out to sea or returning to port?
I believe the plaque beside the painting indicated that the ship was leaving Rotterdam. That was the basis for the British gentleman's observation.

And, a photo that I'm not sure I have a place for in my photo galleries from the Eurodam. It's the Cunard Line's Queen Victoria, which we sighed as we passed her during dinner on the Prelude cruise. Pretty ship ... even though she's a virtual twin of the Eurodam (and the Vistas).

queenvic.jpg

Great Photos .. as usual ..

the picture of the Cunard ship is lovely .. but virtual twin Not .. the difference it in the stern .. which on the Eurodam makes it look like the container ship .. too squared off .. I prefer the look of the tiered aft just my taste though

Greg, Like you I am SLOWLY adding more and more pics to my gallery...it doesn't help that my main PC is down with a bug and I'm working from the laptop!:mad:

Also, for anyone interested I have finally posted my reasons for leaving HAL and the Eurodam under the "Jobs w/ Holland America" thread.:rolleyes:

Keep posting as I will and know I still REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate all your support onboard and off!;)

Great Photos .. as usual ..

the picture of the Cunard ship is lovely .. but virtual twin Not .. the difference it in the stern .. which on the Eurodam makes it look like the container ship .. too squared off .. I prefer the look of the tiered aft just my taste though

Then allow me to rephrase it ... as ORIGINALLY DESIGNED. :)

The QV's aft is as the Vistas (other than the Noordam) first came out, and even as the Eurodam was originally designed ... just look at the Inaugural artwork of the ship. :)

Greg, Like you I am SLOWLY adding more and more pics to my gallery...it doesn't help that my main PC is down with a bug and I'm working from the laptop!:mad:

Also, for anyone interested I have finally posted my reasons for leaving HAL and the Eurodam under the "Jobs w/ Holland America" thread.:rolleyes:

Keep posting as I will and know I still REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate all your support onboard and off!;)

Thanks for the "heads up," Nathan! I greatly appreciate it. Sorry to read that your desktop PC is down.

I trust you're doing well?

If there had been a place to 'hide' all of that spa junk I would have done it. I turned the fountain off after 10 minutes. I kept getting the urge to visit the bathroom when it was running.

I don't own an Ipod so the Bose system was wasted on me and those free vitamin waters were loaded with calories. I wish the Voss water was free. That, I would have used.

Once I moved (read that as pushed) all of the non essential stuff off to the side I had plenty of room for my stuff on the vanity/desk. If there had been two of us in the cabin it would have been a problem.

All in all, I loved my cabin, 11006. Its proximity to the Crow's Nest and Explorations area was wonderful. Even though my 'Juliette' balcony was small I did enjoy standing out there and breathing in the sea air and enjoying the sights. I can't complain. After all, it was an 8 category upgrade from what I had booked.

I actually liked the ship and would sail on her again. Especially if all of my 'maties' were on board. ;)

Joyce -- The Countdown Kid

I am surprised that a VT was left as an upgrade. We are booked in one for this month. We had a VA this past week and never used our balcony with the exception to take pictures. The Juliette should be perfect. I certainly hope our experiance on Eurodam is better than the Noordam. Our cruise experiance was disappointing on Noordam. It seems Eurodam is not the only ship that is short staffed. The excuse on Noordam was crew could not get flights to Europe because of the Olympics.

Archived