What are your thoughts on the new Celebrity dress code

I wanted to post this question over here because of the variety of cruisers that visit the fashion board and the broad range of lines that the cruisers here enjoy.

Celebrity has announced that they are eliminating informal night, which I can live with, but what shocked me was that they are going to permit jeans on casual night.

Ya'll know I'm not a snob, I buy half my stuff, kids stuff, and nearly all of DH's stuff at Walmart, but I love dressing up a bit more on a cruise. It takes me away from rural Arizona, and make me feel more elegant.

I realize that I am still free to dress up a bit more if I choose, but I am disappointed that jeans will now officially be allowed for dinner in the main dining room. When they weren't allowed, you'd still seem them here and there, but not dominating the dining room.

Am I crazy to think that some elegance will be lost in in allowance of jeans in the main dining room?

I hate it all .. but I think Celebrity is late to the party on this one .. Carnival .. HAL.. and Princess already did it .. I believer HAL and Princess still have a formal night .. but only "Torn Jeans" are not permitted on smart casual nights.

Sigh

It just seems a bit bizarre to me--the dining rooms are so elegant and jeans just seem out of place for the setting IMHO but there are those to whom it is important to be able to wear jeans in the dining room and not "dress up" so I suppose those individuals will be happy.

I agree with Cruise Arizona--I LIKE to dress up for dinner while on a cruise and I do think the atmosphere will be changed if half the pax are wearing jeans. Guess I am just old fashioned:rolleyes:

The only time jeans belong on a cruise is if you're cruising to Alaska or Spitzbergen (near the North Pole) and are on a day tour. Never in the dining room at any time. Just my opinion. I like to dress and will continue to do so.

IMO, I am sad to hear that jeans are allowed in the formal dining room. I just can't visualize a pair of jeans strolling through the ambience of these lovely dining rooms. I can recall years ago when DH and I cruised a couple of times a year that most of the gents wore tuxes on formal night. It was something like 90% did. Today, you are lucky to see 25% wear a tux. :confused:

I may not be happy about it but I saw it coming when Carnival changed their dress code. I knew the other lines woul dfollow soon. It seems that the majority of crusiers are not interested in dressing up for dinner.

At least Celebrity still says no TORN jeans, no swimwear and no shorts.

It isn't so much the jeans but what is worn with the jeans. A nice pair of jeans, not faded and grungy, with a very nice top or jacket, very nice sandals and pretty accessories can be quite attractive. (I'm talking about women, of course.)

Even a man has ways to "dress up" his jeans. He needn't look as if he just plowed the back forty.

When the guests are seated, what you see is what they are wearing on top. They can still look quite good. Being able to wear jeans doesn't necessarily invite the wearer to don stained, faded, worn out T-shirts with pithy slogans or sports teams logos.

One can still maintain decorum while wearing jeans. It is a question of general grooming.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the webmaster made a mistake and put in a few words that didn't belong.:D

There has been some conflicting information coming out of Celebrity. Mainly that the change is just a drop of informal, but that they will still maintain an elegant dining atmosphere:

"Dressing for dinner

One of the biggest changes to dining with Celebrity has nothing to do with the food. For long-tine cruisers like you, who truly appreciate the ambience of life onboard an ocean-going vessel, we are reviving one of cruising's most romantic traditions beginning on August 1, 2008 - formal dining. With up to three formal evenings on each cruise, you can celebrate in the style and warmth of our exceptional services. Even those nights not designated as "formal" will include a certain elegance, as we phase out informal dress in our main dining rooms and specialty restaurants, replacing it with "Smart Casual and Above", a guideline that will add to the sophistication of each night out. Of course, those who'd rather not dress for dinner, are more than welcome to come and enjoy the expanded menus in the many casual dining options onboard each ship, where you'll find everything from pizza to sushi."

What I see as the conflicting statements is that Celebrity has NEVER officially allowed jeans, even on casual nights, so it just doesn't make since that they would add, to the list of acceptable dress items.

I agree that nice jeans do look better than tacky polyester pants suits. But Mom jeans with an ugly tucked in shirt are probably uglier than the polyester pant suit. The list could go on and on finding ugly or tacky outfits that meet the code when trying to justify jeans in a formal dining room. What's most important - Jeans are generally more casual than pants. We wear jeans to school, to work in the yard, to go to the grocery store. When we want to look a bit more dressed up most of us choose a skirt, dress or nice slacks.

I would much rather see a great pair of jeans with a cute top and strappy sandals than a Polyester Alfred Dunner pantsuit with crocs that many think fit the current dress codes. Just my opinion!:)

househunter- I absolutely agree! Cruise lines can dictate dress codes, but they can't dictate style & taste. However, regardless of how my fellow cruisers dress, I would never let it lessen my enjoyment on the cruise.

Dark well fitting jeans in good condition with a nice button up shirt and good shoes can look very sharp (on a guy).

Polyester pants and "sparkly" shirts look goofy on anyone who isn't a retired Solid Gold Dancer.

People can follow any dress code and make it look bad either by ill fitting clothes or garish colors.

I think that since the jeans will not be seen once seated, it shouldn't be such a big deal.

I never understand some peoples aversion to denim, I know that it USED to be considered work wear for blue collar workers, but times they are a changin' and denim can be very fashionable now, with nice fits and colors. I do have to agree on the "mom jeans" good lord those are terrible, and the jeans that come pre-faded in certain places, what are people thinking?

Would this really be so terrible for casual night dining?

jeans.jpg

MAC

Sadly, people wore jeans, even when the dress code prohibited them. So I guess casual nights will be just like eating in a restaurant at home.

I personally don't think it will change my experience too much ... I'll still dress up. In fact, I only wear jeans at home about 10 days a year, thus I am used to wearing khakis or dress pants when everyone else is in denim.

These type of threads always cause debate, but it is great to see that people on this one are being respectful to one another.

My feeling is, dressing has steadily gone downhill, not just in regards to cruises, but in work, play, etc. I guess the cruise lines are trying to keep up with the times, but why in the world have such beautiful dining rooms and attempt to serve wonderful dinners when people are dressed for McDonalds?

I really am looking forward to my first cruise and dressing nicely.

As so many posters here have said, it just doesn't fit in to be in an elegant dining room wearing jeans. I understand that dressing up isn't for everyone, but there is a time and place for everything.

I try not to judge people by the way they look. At work, I tell employees that how they look and act is representative of the company. People are looking for professionalism, knowledge and good service. Their clothing should say that. It's an image thing, it's not about where you shop.

This just makes me sad. I love dressing up on cruises and feel like it completes the cruising experience for me. I hope at least some cruiselines keep formal nights. :(

Celebrity still has formal nights and they plan to continue

with them. They changed the dress code, eliminating

"Informal Nights". Formal is still part of the the cruises

they offer.

I still dress up:) and want to look nice even on those

casual nights;)

jeans.jpg

This actually looks okay (still inappropriate for a nice dining room IMHO) but the men I have seen wearing jeans in the dining room were more of the "Joe's Crab Shack" t-shirt, baggy cargo type jeans and tennis shoe type :rolleyes: sometimes accessorized with a ball cap.

I know I am in the minority here, but I liked the informal nights, a nice silk cocktail dress, hubby in his good cashmere blazer and dress shirt, I enjoyed those so much more than the formal ( which we often skipped) I don't think the new rules are going to impact the actual clothing you see on board though, the people who love dressing up will still do so, it just gives a little more freedom to those who don't.

I know I am in the minority here, but I liked the informal nights, a nice silk cocktail dress, hubby in his good cashmere blazer and dress shirt, I enjoyed those so much more than the formal ( which we often skipped) I don't think the new rules are going to impact the actual clothing you see on board though, the people who love dressing up will still do so, it just gives a little more freedom to those who don't.

I know I should never worry about what others are wearing, but lets face it nobody wants to be over dressed or under dressed. If I'm too dressed up I feel pretencious and if I was to be mistakenly under dressed I'd feel caddy.

I have nothing against jeans in the right setting. I wear them all the time, but in general they don't "exude elegance". My son who is 11, almost 12, really wants to wear his khakis, shirt, tie and blazer, so I hope he won't feel too over dressed. I have a couple of nice dressed that I hope won't be overdressed.

Celebrity still has formal nights and they plan to continue

with them. They changed the dress code, eliminating

"Informal Nights". Formal is still part of the the cruises

they offer.

I still dress up:) and want to look nice even on those

casual nights;)

Ok...I got it now. I'm still going to dress up! I love it.

I copied and pasted this from the Celebrity website:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants or jeans (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

So, women still can not wear jeans at all in the dining room. But I do agree with another poster that I'd rather see a woman wearing a pair of nice indigo designer jeans with a beautiful top than some of the frumpy polyester pantsuits that seem to always appear.

And many men look quite classic in nice, again dark indigo, jeans with a button-down shirt and blazer. My husband is 54 yrs old, and this is a look he wears very well. So does George Clooney, by the way.

Perhaps one of the reasons for the dress code changes is the reality that airlines are severely restricting baggage allowances and Celebrity does not have passenger-operated laundry facilties. Hence, you have to take more clothes that can perform "double duty" going from day to night.

Archived