Tips For A Fun Cruise

Relax, enjoy and take lots of pictures! My one caution is don't overpack. I try and color coordinate as much as possible, especially with evening items that only get worn for a short period of time.

And last but not least, lots of research on the cruise boards...these boards provided me with lots of information to help.

Enjoy - cruising is one addiction that I will never try and give up! :D

Don't try to learn everything about the cruise here on these boards. Allow yourself some (or many!) surprises onboard the ship.

Try everything you can ... go dancing, try new foods, walk on the deck at dawn and at midnight, take a dancing class ... just take advantage of all of the opportunities that interest you.

you can run til you drop on a cruise

don't forget to take the time to sit in the quiet except the water below and relax

oh - and join "The Balcony Club" if you are with your husband/SO/boyfriend :)

I'm new to cruising, and i want to have the best time ever, so does anyone have good advice for any part of the cruise?

(i'm going on the Mariner)

thanks

Don't try to learn everything about the cruise here on these boards. Allow yourself some (or many!) surprises onboard the ship.

Try everything you can ... go dancing' date=' try new foods, walk on the deck at dawn and at midnight, take a dancing class ... just take advantage of all of the opportunities that interest you.[/quote']

I would add make sure to allow for some nap time, time to just watch the water, watch people (a beer/drink in hand is a good idea)

Secondly, something may become an issue. Don't let it. Enjoy your cruise. Too many people let small things become big things.

I can still remember my first cruise and many times hark back to specific memory snippets and enjoy the cruise again. I would wish you a great cruise and many more! :)

Loose stress over making it to your ship for embarkation, fly in the day before!!!

Definitely a good suggestion, especially if you are flying cross county and have to cross several time zones.

If something isn't right, don't wait until you get home to complain about it. By then it is too late. Speak up right away while you are still on the ship.

Take lots of photos.

Most important is the proper attitude.

keep a diary/journal of your cruise...we write down what we do, what we eat,etc and it is fun to "reminice" later...and believe me, after a week of so many meals, you will have a hard time remembering all you ate...but it is fun to read about it later and remember all that great food and fun!! :)

Marsha

Leave the computer, blackberry, etc. at home unless absolutely necessary or you need to keep in contact with family.

Get out and do activities where you have a chance to meet other people. I'm amazed at the number of people that seem to want a table for two, or would rather not mingle/meet anyone else on the cruise. That's part of the fun of cruising.

Mike

Enjoy!

When you get onboard....explore...get to know your home for the coming week early!

Smile....alot! You will run into morons and idiots....every cruise line carries at least a few on each cruise....just to keep it interesting...ignore them!

Say hello to total strangers...you would be amazed how friendly folks can be! Heck, they could be first timers too!

Be spontanious! Don't normally have a bloody mary at 9am? But want one? Have one!

Get up early....very early..at least once and watch the sun rise

Stay up late...very late...take a walk on deck when the ship is quiet and it is only you, the sky, the sea and your SO.

Use your compass, check out your day...

When you find that you missed doing something, put it down to do on your NEXT cruise.

Be amazed by everything that is wonderful and ignore anything that isn't.

Stand outside late at night and listen to the sound of the waves, the quiet and the beautiful stars, feel the warm night air, and the slight swaying of the ship .... heaven on earth.

Most of all, enjoy your adventure and the person you are with. Jan

Just do what you want-when you want! This is a vacation, not a contest to see how much you can do! (No sense going home exhausted!) The great thing about cruising is the relaxation factor. You need do very little for yourself. (Go to the dining room for meals (at least, breakfast!), and they SERVE you--no buffet madness!)

What is a "must-do" for one, is a "no-way" for another! Do your own thing and realize that if you miss something this time, you WILL be cruising again! It's addictive!

Leave the computer, blackberry, etc. at home unless absolutely necessary or you need to keep in contact with family.

Or unless you use your computer in association with your photography and/or video camera like I do.

I'm new to cruising, and i want to have the best time ever, so does anyone have good advice for any part of the cruise?

(i'm going on the Mariner)

thanks

I have only been on 1 cruise, but I did learn really quick that I should have taken half the clothes and twice the money, lol.

We will be cruising together :D

Loose stress over making it to your ship for embarkation, fly in the day before!!!

and especially pay attention to these:

Be amazed by everything that is wonderful and ignore anything that isn't.

Stand outside late at night and listen to the sound of the waves, the quiet and the beautiful stars, feel the warm night air, and the slight swaying of the ship .... heaven on earth.

Most of all, enjoy your adventure and the person you are with. Jan

Always travel with a good attitude and an open mind. It is amazing how this can carry over when you get back home.

Happy travels............

let the small stuff go. something overcooked one night, really not a big deal. there are 5000+ other food choices. not crazy about one of the shows, don't let it bother you. i am certainly not saying to keep your expectations low, i'm just advising that most people will not be totally thrilled 100% of any vacation so don't expect to be. as with most situations, if you find you need to complain while on board, preceed your complaint with a compliment-you'll find the attitude of the staff you complain to to be much more cooperative.:D

i'd also like to add to get to know about the ports you are going to visit by reviewing the port section of the board. sometimes you can save a significant amount of time and $$ by booking an excursion on your own as well as you will know the safety issues for cabs, etc. at each location.

Bring your patience and your sense of humor and don't sweat the small stuff. Have a great time!!! BTW Welcome to the boards and to cruising and don't blame us if you get addicted to both.

for some reason it didn't take, and I had to add it because it was my favorite of the replies you got so far.:D:D (besides mine:p;):rolleyes::eek:)

Don't expect to do it all. We've been on 4 RCCL cruises and still have things left undone! It keeps you coming back and keeps the cruises fresh!

Go out of your way to talk w/others - find out where they're from and how often they've cruised.

Take the time to really look at the ship's decor -- there is some beautiful artwork on RCI ships and innovative design. Savour the feeling of walking around a ship and really seeing it. Go enjoy the evening's entertainment in the theatre. Take the time to read through each day's Compass (paper arrives in your cabin each evening containing the next day's schedule, activities, info on the port of call, dress code for dinner, etc.) and highlight the activities you want to check out. It can be hectic, mellow or a good combination of the two.

If you think you will cruise again with RCI you can put a $100.00 deposit down on a Next Cruise (see the Loyalty Ambassador on the ship); you don't need to decide where and when you will cruise but by doing a Next Cruise deposit you will receive an onboard credit on your next cruise of $50.00 or more). Read the info and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Have a wonderful time and be sure to join RCI's Crown and Anchor Society after your cruise; it is a reward program that brings nice benefits after just one cruise.

Kathy:)

Read your Compass every night to see what activities are offered the next day. You won't be able to do everything and you won't want to. Save some time to relax. Pick out a couple of things that interest you and try those. Spend some time on the Royal Promenade just people watching. The parades on the Promenade are fun to watch too.

Archived