Question - Price Reduction after final payment?

I am on the Zuiderdam in October. Sad to say the roll call is very light. I have seen this before due to demographics of fall cruisers in Mediterranean (often retirees, more experienced cruises, less desire or need to post, etc.) but have noticed a startling development. There are cabins available in every category with final payment due next week,

I haven't seen this since Fall of 2001 (then for rather obvious reasons). Is it because it is a bigger ship (last year I was on Prinsendam)? Is this purely reflective of just how bad the economy is doing?

I ask because I have left my money to accrue interest with Holland this past year, and would hate to see massive price reductions, but suspect some great cabins at low fares are around the corner.

If so, is it possible to upgrade, receive additional cruise credits or an adjustment after final payment? Or is this the price we pay to have the cabin we want on the dates we need when others have the luxury of being more flexible, and can therefore scoop up some great bargains.

Alternatively, do they just sail at 60 percent capacity, and if so, how long can this go on?

It's a good question. I think the patterns and rules of the past are changing now, due to the economic differences of recent months.

Cruise lines can only go so far down in their pricing due to their fixed expenses, yet their passenger base is changing due to the economy and the new airfare issues.

It will be interesting to see how this develops.

In the meantime, at or after final payment time on your cruise, I'd ask your TA to ask HAL what possibilities exist ... if there are open cabins in higher categories, I'll bet the cruise line would be willing to offer you an upsell at a decent price....just my guess here.

There is always the chance they will have price reductions after final payment date. It would be very unusual for them to not try to sell every cabin as the ships are all sailing full or VERY close to it.

Most of those type reductions are for new bookings only.

Have you paid for third party insurance? Have you paid for HAL insurance? Does your TA have a cancellation fee?

Have you bought your air?

How much do you really want to go on this cruise?

Questions (among many) to ponder.

Good luck. Let us know how it all goes.

For our upcoming HAL cruise, there was lots of availability just before final payment. I paid anyway, and, sure enough, the cabins started appearing at bargain prices---much less (over $1,000) than we paid.

I contacted my TA to see if we could get refund, OBC or upgrades. We ended up with small upgrades (inside to inside, outside to outside), probably nothing more that we would have received anyway. Very disappointing introduction to HAL.

If you pay for something in advance you lock in that price. If it goes up you have the best of the bargain and your ticket price will not raise. Therefore if you lock in the ticket price and it goes down you did not get the best of the bargain. The converse would be waiting till the last minute to get a good price and finding all the cabins sold out.

As my Grandaddy used to say " you pays your nickle and you takes your chances". :D

Does anyone know if HAL still has the 10% rule they had in years past?

It used to be that if the price drops more than 10% lower than what you paid, you will be refunded the difference. We benefitted from that several times but I haven't heard about it for a very long time.

For all I know, they still do that.

IF the price drops significantly, it might be worth asking. I would.

We are just now starting to see prices dropping. For years, we have seen a steady increase in price from when we booked early up to final payment. We always book early and a number of times have actually seen the price go higher on our cruises if they found that sales were good for that sailing.

The economy and mood of U.S. cruisers, inflation, recession......all of this is going to affect U.S. bookings in some small or not so small amounts.

Yes, HAL still does price reductions because we noticed a substantial price decrease on a cruise we have booked for October 2009 just this week. We contacted our TA and he got with HAL and we have now received the lower price. :D

I'm cruising on the Prisendam(transatlantic) in October and there is alot of availability on our sailing too, and this is a smaller passenger vessel as you know. I think it is a sign of the economy, air prices, and the low US dollar.

Marie

Yes, HAL still does price reductions because we noticed a substantial price decrease on a cruise we have booked for October 2009 just this week. We contacted our TA and he got with HAL and we have now received the lower price. :D

Thanks. Good to know.

We have a lot of cruises booked and I am going to be more careful about checking the prices from time to time.

I would expect you could get a price reduction on 2009 cruises. The OP is asking about October 2008..AFTER final payment. I wish I knew the answer, but I do not. Other lines are known for reducing after final payment, but I have a feeling HAL does not. However, I can not speak with authority because I have no personal experience with HAL in this regard.

Marie

That's the thing......

My question was:

Does HAL Still give the refund if the reduction is 10% or more either before or after final payment? They had a 10% rule in the past but I do not know if they still do. On some cruises (years ago), the price dropped more than 10% after we made final payment and HAL refunded our credit card that amount.

Do they still honor that 10% situation?

I have had 2 occasions after final payment when the price dropped. Once we were able to get the lower price, once we were not.:confused: I don't know what the determining factor is. We were using the same TA for both cruises.

If you pay for something in advance you lock in that price. If it goes up you have the best of the bargain and your ticket price will not raise. Therefore if you lock in the ticket price and it goes down you did not get the best of the bargain. The converse would be waiting till the last minute to get a good price and finding all the cabins sold out.

As my Grandaddy used to say " you pays your nickle and you takes your chances". :D

The price of just about everything fluctuates due to supply and demand.

Sometimes we make out and sometimes not.

Those with optimum schedule and cabin flexibility and the ability to easily get to the cruise ship port are always in a better position to take advantage of after final payment date bargains.

Our January Caribbean 10-day cruise actually went up around $2,000 for our cabin. I was shocked! I'm glad we locked it in early this spring. I'm not sure why the steep increase, and I am not sure if their was an increase in all cabin categories, but there was in the SA's. I did notice the other day that now the price isn't even listed (you're supposed to call for a price)...so they must have sold out.

We like to get exactly what we want. If the price goes down, well, they go down, but we know we're in the cabin we want. It's somewhat like shopping at a department store. If you go in at the beginning of the season, you know you'll pay full price and get exactly what you want...if you wait until the clearance sale, the only clothing left might be the wrong size and color.

It's interesting that the price of our cruise went up so drastically. The last time that happened was when we cruised over New Year's. We booked in the spring, and as the cruise got closer, the prices increased until the the ship was completely booked, which was before the final payment date.

I would, if I were on a ship that wasn't full, I'd ask for a free upgrade...and see what they say. If HAL doesn't offer anything, then I'd see if I could upgrade for a reasonable amount of money.

That's the thing......

My question was:

Does HAL Still give the refund if the reduction is 10% or more either before or after final payment? They had a 10% rule in the past but I do not know if they still do. On some cruises (years ago), the price dropped more than 10% after we made final payment and HAL refunded our credit card that amount.

Do they still honor that 10% situation?

I haven't read any recent posts, that I remember, that mentions this being in effect now.

Haven't see the 10% rule in effect for sometime now.

It's all based on fare codes. If it's a restricted fare code "new bookings only", you are out of luck if you've made final payment.

Flash fares are typically for in/ov/bl guarantees.....they are restricted and you cannot be refared if you agree to give up your cabin assignment.

Most of those type reductions are for new bookings only.

Have you paid for third party insurance? Have you paid for HAL insurance? Does your TA have a cancellation fee?

Have you bought your air?

How much do you really want to go on this cruise?

Questions (among many) to ponder.

Good luck. Let us know how it all goes.

To answer this: we are on a Mediterranean cruise. Others might wait, but I am not comfortable doing so, and so I book a year or more in advance. Airfare, Insurance all paid for. $35.00 cancellation with TA, and she is a gem - I am sure she would call Holland and negotiate for us if it was the right thing to do. We are goign with another couple and no way would we cancel at this point.

Never heard of a "10 percent rule" but I am certainly going to look into it if there are any drops.

Interesting that prices are dropping for '09 sailings - seems contrary to the fuel surcharges they are tacking on, but the cruise lines may have exceeded the threshold where people are just not willing to pay, and/or commit major dollars for a long time. or make a big financial commitment at all.

I have noticed a lot of "reduced deposits" but think in the end all that will lead to is more cancellations at final payment date. If you can drop a hundred "refundable" dollars to hold a few cabins and decide later, I think a lot of travelers would go for this level of flexibility.

I agree that many people are making the $100 deposit but when final payment comes, they cancel.

HAL is continuing to allow this so they must be satisfied the upside is adequate.

For cruisers being closed out of a cabin thinking the category is sold out, it's too bad. If many cruise lines are permitting the low price deposits, it evens out as to HAL loses a booking to "X" who lost a booking to Princess because the cruiser could not book the category/ship they wanted.

If the are all playing on a similar playing field, it must even out in the end or close to it.

It is, as is always the case, about the bottom line, of course. I still have to wonder how the policy could be effective for Holland, but to your point, it works for them or they wouldn't be doing it.

Every time I get shut out of a cabin I want on a sailing, I wonder if someone who is holding half a dozen is keeping me from getting a cabin I not only want but intend to take and pay for.

Ah well, the joys of cruising!

On another note, the cruise I have booked in '09 (Princess) went up! :eek:

My luck....

Archived