Can you stand more good news/happy talk?

Here's another "wonderful Royal Caribbean customer service" story.

My son suddenly announced that, contrary to PRIOR announcements, he DID want to do a family getaway this summer.

After some discussion, we realized that this meant *another cruise*. WOOHOO!

I always book far in advance, and get decent prices. Well, booking in July for a July or August cruise, and wanting it to be on the Explorer so that we don't have to fly, is a difficult task.

Bermuda is so overpriced that it's not funny.

At this stage, it was close to impossible to find a cabin for three on ANY Explorer sailing in these two months, whether 5 night to Bermuda or 9 night to the Caribbean.

On July 2nd, I called my RC CVP, Enid, and together online we went hunting for a triple on ANY Explorer cruise.

Suddenly, while we were searching, a GS on the 8/14 9 night Caribbean sailing appeared on the computer. Maybe someone had just cancelled it, maybe someone had cancelled another triple or quad and that let the computer release a GS for three, I'll never know.

We grabbed it. It was OUTLANDISHLY expensive, but I kept rationalizing it: how much longer will my 20's kids want to and be able to vacation with me? And we don't have to fly...........saving three airfares and the hotel and taxi costs. So we were booked.

About 36 hours later, my CRS brain suddenly had a spasm.

DAMN! My close friend's son is getting married on August 16th - I CAN'T SAIL ON AUGUST 14th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUH ROH!

It is now July 4th, and I have all day to sit and stew and be online on the Royal Caribbean site, looking for a way out.

Still no triples on ANY Explorer cruise. Taking two doubles is INCREDIBLY expensive.

So I started researching cruises out of other ports.

I picked two dates for the Mariner out of Port Canaveral, and two dates for Liberty out of Miami.

No triples on those, either. But, LOOK, a PA residency special on the August 23rd sailing of the Liberty! Several categories had STEEP discounts for us.

WOW! I can get a JS and a D2 and only put the three of us in there, and save thousands from what the GS would have been on the Explorer.

But here's the problem.

I am well within final payment. When I booked the Explorer, I had to pay the whole thing.

AND I had used a booking number from a previously booked cruise that I now decided not to take, and it had OBC attached to it, AND the lower fuel surcharge.

So I called Enid, and we went to work. She connected me to Crown & Anchor. They said NO, you have to cancel and rebook. OBC, gone. Lower fuel surcharge, gone. Deposit, gone.

So we tried another department. Same answer. NO, you have to cancel and rebook. OBC, gone. Lower fuel surcharge, gone. Deposit, gone.

We tried a DIFFERENT person in that department. Same answer. NO, you have to cancel and rebook. OBC, gone. Lower fuel surcharge, gone. Deposit, gone.

We finally hit another supervisor. I think that her name was Tracy. We went over and over and over the bookings. She looked at all the cruises that I have booked. She looked at my C&A status. (diamond).

And she said those magic words. "You are very valuable to Royal Caribbean, and I will do everything that I can to fix this for you."

It took about two hours on the phone (!!!), but we got exactly what I wanted. JS on the Liberty with my old booking number, same OBC, same old lower fuel surcharge, deposit transferred over. D2 as a new booking. Both cabins with Diamond balcony discount, because my kids are diamond in their own right, too.

All for several thousand less than the Explorer booking.

And my son is taking his friend for just the "taxes and fees" and fuel charge and airfare.

Royal Caribbean, thank you for saving our family summer vacation.

And my kids are THRILLED to be trying the Liberty, instead of going on the Explorer for the fourth time. (even though it means that my daughter has to schlep her scuba diving equipment on the plane instead of driving to the port).

So, another good news story about Royal Caribbean's customer service. :)

That is awesome - Way to go RCCL! It is always nice to hear those stories. I love RCCL & have great experiences with them but I hear to many negative things on these boards so it was great to hear.

By the way, I am jealous - I have to wait until October to go on the Liberty. Have a great time!!

My son suddenly announced that, contrary to PRIOR announcements, he DID want to do a family getaway this summer.

I always book far in advance, and get decent prices. Well, booking in July for a July or August cruise, and wanting it to be on the Explorer so that we don't have to fly, is a difficult task.

At this stage, it was close to impossible to find a cabin for three on ANY Explorer sailing in these two months, whether 5 night to Bermuda or 9 night to the Caribbean.

On July 2nd, I called my RC CVP, Enid, and together online we went hunting for a triple on ANY Explorer cruise.

Suddenly, while we were searching, a GS on the 8/14 9 night Caribbean sailing appeared on the computer. Maybe someone had just cancelled it, maybe someone had cancelled another triple or quad and that let the computer release a GS for three, I'll never know.

We grabbed it. It was OUTLANDISHLY expensive, but I kept rationalizing it: how much longer will my 20's kids want to and be able to vacation with me? And we don't have to fly...........saving three airfares and the hotel and taxi costs. So we were booked.

DAMN! My close friend's son is getting married on August 16th - I CAN'T SAIL ON AUGUST 14th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUH ROH!

It is now July 4th, and I have all day to sit and stew and be online on the Royal Caribbean site, looking for a way out.

Still no triples on ANY Explorer cruise. Taking two doubles is INCREDIBLY expensive.

I picked two dates for the Mariner out of Port Canaveral, and two dates for Liberty out of Miami.

No triples on those, either. But, LOOK, a PA residency special on the August 23rd sailing of the Liberty! Several categories had STEEP discounts for us.

WOW! I can get a JS and a D2 and only put the three of us in there, and save thousands from what the GS would have been on the Explorer.

But here's the problem.

I am well within final payment. When I booked the Explorer, I had to pay the whole thing.

AND I had used a booking number from a previously booked cruise that I now decided not to take, and it had OBC attached to it, AND the lower fuel surcharge.

So I called Enid, and we went to work. She connected me to Crown & Anchor. They said NO, you have to cancel and rebook. OBC, gone. Lower fuel surcharge, gone. Deposit, gone.

So we tried another department. Same answer. NO, you have to cancel and rebook. OBC, gone. Lower fuel surcharge, gone. Deposit, gone.

We tried a DIFFERENT person in that department. Same answer. NO, you have to cancel and rebook. OBC, gone. Lower fuel surcharge, gone. Deposit, gone.

We finally hit another supervisor. I think that her name was Tracy. We went over and over and over the bookings. She looked at all the cruises that I have booked. She looked at my C&A status. (diamond).

And she said those magic words. "You are very valuable to Royal Caribbean, and I will do everything that I can to fix this for you."

It took about two hours on the phone (!!!), but we got exactly what I wanted. JS on the Liberty with my old booking number, same OBC, same old lower fuel surcharge, deposit transferred over. D2 as a new booking. Both cabins with Diamond balcony discount, because my kids are diamond in their own right, too.

And my son is taking his friend for just the "taxes and fees" and fuel charge and airfare.

And my kids are THRILLED to be trying the Liberty, instead of going on the Explorer for the fourth time. (even though it means that my daughter has to schlep her scuba diving equipment on the plane instead of driving to the port).

WOW!!! What a story! Kudos to RCL!!! That's so wonderful how it all worked out in the end!! I think your family will have so much fun, and how great it is that your 20 something kids still want to vacation with you! Everyone always say's that once they hit 18 it's a no go. I guess that's not the case!

This whole thing was totally meant to be and I hope you have a great time on your summer vacation!

I have 11 months to wait until we board Liberty and we can't wait! Our 3 teens are staying home for this one :p

I'm so happy for you. What a nice outcome! Having your kids with you AND saving money as well is great!

I had a problem that was finally handled by the C&A supervisor, and I agree that their customer service department values our business. :)

Peeersistance pays off !!!!

this whole CS thing has got to STOP !!!! ;) dont we have enough to deal with ??? what with all the jeans, dinning, magnets, booze, babies, ect.... we cant keep this CS lovin threads going where are we going to fit all this stuff.... :p :p ;) :D

CONGRATS MM you & family deserve it....

Way to go Carol!!! It sure feels good to get a great deal and even better to know how hard someone from RCL worked for you.

You bugger, they wouldn't let me use MY coupon.

And..... you get to sail with my brother John, and his wife Yolie. First time diamond members! They also saved $400. for the resident special.

Mimi

Way to go Carol!!! It sure feels good to get a great deal and even better to know how hard someone from RCL worked for you.

You bugger, they wouldn't let me use MY coupon.

And..... you get to sail with my brother John, and his wife Yolie. First time diamond members! They also saved $400. for the resident special.

Mimi

Fantastic! Please direct them to our Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=608896

MerionMom:

That's great!!! I only cruised the Royal Carribean three times but have alwayse found their customer service excellent. I once wrote a letter to Customer Service via e-mail after one of our cruises. Little did I know that they forwarded if to Mr. Goldsein!!!

About two months later I received a reply by mail from them. They thanked me for my letter and told me that they would take my suggestions into consideration and they would be recognizing the emploee that I brought to their attention.

I know you must be so excited. I hope it will be a terrific vacation for your family. Bonm Voyage!!!

I am so happy for your family to be sailing on the Liberty, and for your trip sorting itself out in such a nice way!

Merion Mom - you were on the Crown just a couple of weeks before we were (I'm sure you remember THAT cruise...), and I followed your reports from the beginning of your trip, right to the end. Are you planning on another trip report? As coincidence would have it, we are going to be on Liberty a few weeks after you. Congrats on everything working out for you.

I'm glad you finally got good service. But I hope RCL is reading this. You shouldn't have to talk to so many people to get good service. You should not have to spend so many hours on the phone. They paid a lot of money for all those people that had to talk to you. If they had empowered their employees, they could get things taken care of much more quickly and cheaply.

RUH ROH!

But here's the problem.

This is too happy. We want to hear about failing customer service, degrading food, jeans, shorts and flip flops in the dining room. And we want to hear about chair hogs and rip offs.

Please, look for another 'happy board'.

;)

On the other hand, congrats and happy sailing. It pays off to have a close CVP doesn't it?

Glad they helped you and saved you money. You paid your dues to RCI, you deserve it.

Congrats Carol! Have a great vacation.... it won't be long before those 20 somethings start having little ones, then you'll get to take your grandkids on vacation with you while the parents enjoy the week off!!! We're leaving on the 24th for our 10 yr old grandson's 7th cruise, his mom is now platinum based on HIS status.... since she's only been on 3 or 4 herself.

btw, we're driving to Norfolk for this cruise, basically because the Explorer prices were sooo high. Yes, we're on a smaller ship (Grandeur), but that doesn't matter to us, we've been on Freedom and Empress of the Seas and had a great cruise on both of them... We're looking at driving to Baltimore next summer for the same reason.

Janet

Carol, what a great, refreshing post! After that pathetic post we had recently in which an unhappy passenger could find nothing right with his last cruise, it was so nice to read that someone has had an excellent experience with RCI.

I hope you all love Liberty of the Seas as much as we do. Have a great vacation.

Archived