Cabin assignment changed

BLUEROSEKY

I have a strange question. Has anyone ever had there pre-picked cabins changed to a different cabin? We had 2 inside cabins on riviera deck reserved. I was ordering room decorations for my sons cabin yesterday and both of our cabins have been moved to 2 insides on empress deck. They are still side by side. Not that I am complaining mind you, just curious. I don't want to call my PVP, because I would prefer to keep the new cabin assignments. If it was some kind of glitch, I don't want to be the one to point it out. I just thought it strange that they were changed without us being notified.

Also, if the cabin assignment was to change again, would I need to call Bon Voyage to make sure that the thing I ordered for the boys cabin make it to the correct one?

Thanks,

Karen

Congrats. Sounds like you got a nice upgrade. :D They probably won't change again if already assigned.

Print out your confirmation for decorations & take it with you....just in case. Shouldn't be a problem....but you never know.

:confused: Maybe I should have clarified, we had reserved two specific cabins on the riviera deck. Then they were changed to 2 cabins on the Empress deck. I thought once you picked your specific cabin that was it, no upgrade fairy visits. I mean what if you didn't want to be moved, because of being in a group or something. I guess I shouldn't worry about the upgrade fairies visit, when I am happy about it, huh:p . It just keeps striking me as odd.

Thanks,

Karen

:confused: Maybe I should have clarified, we had reserved two specific cabins on the riviera deck. Then they were changed to 2 cabins on the Empress deck. I thought once you picked your specific cabin that was it, no upgrade fairy visits. I mean what if you didn't want to be moved, because of being in a group or something. I guess I shouldn't worry about the upgrade fairies visit, when I am happy about it, huh:p . It just keeps striking me as odd.

Thanks,

Karen

If the 2 cabins you had picked slept 3 or 4 pax and you only had 2 per cabin they can move you. Probably not what happened. Just throwing that out there.

Enjoy your new cabins.:)

Bill

Thanks,

Karen

Maybe they had an upgrade promo running & upgraded you. :confused: I'd tale Empress deck anytime over Riviera.

I have heard of involuntary cabin changes being made by Carnival - even at the last minute. Some for no apparent reason at all (at least no REAL reason given to the people who were moved).

If they tried to play that game with me, it would not be a "simple" matter.

Tom

If you were booked into handicap accessible cabins, or a cabin that holds more passengers that were booked into it, Carnival can change the cabins if they need them for other guests. It will almost alway be with an upgrade. You should have been advised of the above by your PVP if you were booked into one of these situations. You can also call anyone at Carnival and they should be able to find out why this was done. Of course as others have said I would definitely prefer an empress deck cabin.

Enjoy your cruise....

BLUEROSEKY - (Coincidentally) the current past guest "deal" for a number of the Sensation cruises in OCT-NOV is upgrade from 4A Riviera to 4E Empress deck - maybe someone took care of you??? I'm with you, I thought I had read that when you booked specific stateroom the upgerade fairy wasn't likely. How did you like the Sensation in February? We're booked in November.

They may have had a group that wanted to book into the deck you were on and needed your 2 cabins to do it. They can move you around at any time even if you pick your cabin.

As far as the Bon Voyage gift goes, it shouldn't be a problem. They send it to the cabin listed under your reservation/booking #. If Carnival changes it, it's immediately updated in their system so you will still get it.

We changed ours last minute and our gift arrived with no problems.

I'd tale Empress deck anytime over Riviera.

Depends, have you ever been on Empress deck right below the galley?:( On the Fantasy class some of the Empress deck cabins are very noisy.

We were in E152 on the Fantasy a couple of years ago, and every sleepless night I was thinking to myself "I paid extra for this??":eek:

Blueroseky, if I were you I would be on the phone with my PVP to find out exactly why you were moved, and I would also be checking the deck plans to make sure you aren't directly under either the galley or a high-traffic public area.

Just out of curiosity, how is an inside cabin upgraded from the Riviera to Empress necessarily an upgrade? I mean, I understand that it a higher category and presumably more expensive, so I can see that it is an upgrade from that perspective, but how is it an upgrade from a practical perspective?

After all, if you are in an inside cabin, you're still looking at interior walls without a view, correct? So what's the difference if you're on a higher or lower deck when you can't see outside of the cabin anyway?

In my thinking, perhaps a lower deck interior cabin might even be preferable depending on the location. I'd take a mid-ship Riviera deck interior cabin to something on the ends of the ship but higher up any day, as there would be less motion on the lower, mid-ship cabin and you couldn't see out anyway.

I don't mean to rain on the congratulatory parade, but am I missing something here?

Just out of curiosity, how is an inside cabin upgraded from the Riviera to Empress necessarily an upgrade? I mean, I understand that it a higher category and presumably more expensive, so I can see that it is an upgrade from that perspective, but how is it an upgrade from a practical perspective?

After all, if you are in an inside cabin, you're still looking at interior walls without a view, correct? So what's the difference if you're on a higher or lower deck when you can't see outside of the cabin anyway?

In my thinking, perhaps a lower deck interior cabin might even be preferable depending on the location. I'd take a mid-ship Riviera deck interior cabin to something on the ends of the ship but higher up any day, as there would be less motion on the lower, mid-ship cabin and you couldn't see out any way.

I don't mean to rain on the congratulatory parade, but am I missing something here?

The higher the deck the more expensive, whether it is inside, oceanview or balcony.

Well...this happened to us for the very first time today.

My PVP just called and upgraded us from an interior cabin (spa) to a BALCONY (SPA)!!!!!

They were very careful to upgrade us to a cabin that would also accommodate our special needs son.

Splendor (and now a BALCONY) here we come!!!

My PVP just called and upgraded us from an interior cabin (spa) to a BALCONY (SPA)!!!!!

They were very careful to upgrade us to a cabin that would also accommodate our special needs son.

Now that's a real upgrade! Congratulations!

I agree that is an upgrade!! From inside to balcony!!

As for the "little" upgrade to Empress.. I have gotten those before... But when we got upgraded to Empress I pick a room near the lobby.. Big mistake, to much noise for us during the day time.. We like to take naps, so doing that was a bit hard to do.. Plus it was noising when people were getting off and on the ship.. So if you do have the Empress deck pick a cabin a loooong way from all high traffic areas... But I do have to say at night it did calm down and we didn't have any problems sleeping at night.

Plus it did make it every easy for getting off the ship!! We were off by 8:15am....

In my thinking, perhaps a lower deck interior cabin might even be preferable depending on the location. I'd take a mid-ship Riviera deck interior cabin to something on the ends of the ship but higher up any day, as there would be less motion on the lower, mid-ship cabin and you couldn't see out anyway.

Its a smoke and mirrors upgrade. The only reason a 4E is more expensive than a 4A is that the cruiselines charge more. There is NO increased value, nor cabin difference, nor amenities difference. In the old days of ocean liners, there was a big difference in EVERYTHING as decks went lower. [imagine the bottom deck in the days before A/C?] Today ALL cruiselines use that history to charge more for nothing. If people are dumb enough to pay it, more power to the cruiseline. A "REAL" upgrade must involve a change in the number, not the letter. A 4 to a 6 or a 6 to an 8, etc. Anything else is a figment of the passengers imagination.

Some say they think being higher up is worth more as they're closer to the Lido deck. How many of them would pay more for a hotel room on the 10th floor because the hotel had a restaurant on the 12th floor? NONE!

Back to the OP's thread, I would be so upset that I was moved out of my SELECTED cabins, WITHOUT being consulted, that it would take a cat. 6 or 11 or OBC to calm me down. The move was done FOR the convenience of the cruiseline, NOT for the OP. Convenience costs money, they should pay for a real, not an imaginary "upgrade."

[Gawd, I sound like CCC1234]

Dan

An actual 100% MULTIPLE LEVEL, upgrade, Congrats!

Best I EVER did was a 4 to a 6, otherwise only letter changes.

Dan

Now that's a real upgrade! Congratulations!

Thanks. It was a nice surprise...since hubby won't spring for a balcony. He thinks they are a waste of money. :rolleyes:

Well, he did spring for one in Alaska, but that was it.

I think it depends on what's important to you. For me I will gladly pay more to stay on Empress instead of the lower decks. Yes they are the same rooms but they are closer to everything. We take the stairs while on board and don't want to mess with the elevator. So Empress is worth it for us.

I had the same issue a couple weeks ago. I booked a 1A porthole cabin on the Carnival Dream transatlantic cruise in October 2009. I booked it more than a year out, because I was going solo and wanted a cabin with natural light. A regular outside cabin was 200% of the per person fare. I couldn't pay that. I got a specific cabin number, was real happy. Last week I noticed online that my reservation said my category was 5A not 1A and a different cabin #. But I researched my new cabin and decided it was a slightly better cabin since it has two beds that can be made into a king. My original cabin had just a twin bed. I too was not notified.

That is just the case...the cabins, in all probability, are identical. It is just location and the carefully fostered (by the cruiselines) perception that higher is better.

Have you seen one of the "here's how we build them" videos on the Travel Channel? They build the rooms in their box in a factory and slide them into place in the ship. It is all cookie-cutter construction.

Archived