3rd, 4th and 5th guests in a Stateroom........

sail7seas

This is the first I've read where HAL has permitted five people to a cabin.

I was looking at a Eurodam sailing on their site and when checking prices, they had a *** "Note: [/b] † Fuel supplement of $9 per guest per day with a maximum per guest of $126.00 ($4 per guest per day for 3rd, 4th and 5th guests in a stateroom, with a maximum of $56.00 per 3rd, 4th or 5th guest ).

I wonder if this is only for Eurodam?

I can't imagine having five people in an "SA" Suite on a Vista and to think of a fifth person on Eurodam would make me want to stay home. :D Hats off to folks who can handle that!! It would be very crowded and only one bathroom. The good part is there would be a shower and a tub/shower combo and two sinks but still.........

On Celebrity Infinity I was in an OV room with my sister on deck 2 with 172 sq. ft. that had twin beds, 2 pullman beds, and a sofa sleeper which made it possible to sleep five in a room. Are there any rooms like this on Eurodam?

I believe that the fuel surcharge comment is a Carnival corporate statement ... and some ships in the Carnival family of lines do allow 5 to a cabin.

If no HAL cabin accommodates 5, HAL should modify the fuel charge comment to be accurate for its ships and, thereby, eliminate this confusion.

On Celebrity Infinity I was in an OV room with my sister on deck 2 with 172 sq. ft. that had twin beds, 2 pullman beds, and a sofa sleeper which made it possible to sleep five in a room. Are there any rooms like this on Eurodam?

:D That is the reason I started this thread. That is my point.

I have never heard of HAL permitting five people to one cabin.

I can't imagine having five people in an "SA" Suite on a Vista and to think of a fifth person on Eurodam would make me want to stay home. :D Hats off to folks who can handle that!! It would be very crowded and only one bathroom. The good part is there would be a shower and a tub/shower combo and two sinks but still.........

I know the Eurodam's capacity is a bit higher than that of the Vistas, but having most of the staterooms with four to five people in them would make me want to stay home too. And, especially after what I am reading about all the unruly kids on the current sailing ... think I'll steer clear of this particular ship.

When a capacity is listed for a particular ship, that passenger capacity is based on two guests per stateroom. I guess the cruise lines figure that most of the time that's exactly what you will have. But during school vacation weeks or weeks when HAL offers a "kids sail free" promotion, the actual bodies on the ship can be wayyyyyyy over the stated capacity because you will have many staterooms onboard with 3, 4 or 5 people in them counting the kiddies.

Well, even if those kids are little angels ... no behavior issues whatsoever ... that's still a crowded ship and you're gonna feel it everywhere ... trying to get breakfast in the Lido, trying to get in to see a show, you name it.

I had exactly this experience on the Zuiderdam in 2004 ... in August ... when I was too wet behind the ears to know that you don't book a seven-day cruise when the kids are out of school. I had no problems whatsoever with the kids. All seemed well behaved and mannerly. It was just that there were so many of them ... everywhere ... in the pools, in the Lido, at the pool snack bar ... you name it. Getting a seat for the show, hearing yourself talk with your tablemates in the dining room, finding a place to sit down with your breakfast tray and eat ... all these things were very, very difficult.

Well, the Zuiderdam doesn't allow for five people in a stateroom. It is also a slightly smaller ship ... so if it was that crowded and uncomfortable during a school vacation week, I can only imagine what the Eurodam will be like.

I'd say the Eurodam is a ship to be enjoyed for a longer cruise ... one that takes place when all the kids are happily engaged in their classrooms, leaving the ship to just the adults ... and no more than two of them per stateroom.

Just my humble opinion ... but I don't think I'll be sailing the Eurodam anytime soon.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We have known families to travel with 5 in a PS, but they were traveling with one child that required a crib. There would be enough room in a PS, but I have to agree with Sail, that a S would be rather crowded.

:D That is the reason I started this thread. That is my point.

I have never heard of HAL permitting five people to one cabin.

I just checked and it still is not even possible to check for 5 occupants on the TA software that HAL uses...

So,,,, The answer to my question is they are permitting it, apparently, and not only on Eurodam but on Vista Class ships also. Pity the poor Moms who are going to try and keep order from that sort of chaos. No vacation for her!!!

I know the Eurodam's capacity is a bit higher than that of the Vistas, but having most of the staterooms with four to five people in them would make me want to stay home too. And, especially after what I am reading about all the unruly kids on the current sailing ... think I'll steer clear of this particular ship.

OK, it's only the second cruise on the Eurodam and one with lots of unruly kids, and you want to write it off already? :rolleyes:

When a capacity is listed for a particular ship, that passenger capacity is based on two guests per stateroom. I guess the cruise lines figure that most of the time that's exactly what you will have. But during school vacation weeks or weeks when HAL offers a "kids sail free" promotion, the actual bodies on the ship can be wayyyyyyy over the stated capacity because you will have many staterooms onboard with 3, 4 or 5 people in them counting the kiddies.

Well, even if those kids are little angels ... no behavior issues whatsoever ... that's still a crowded ship and you're gonna feel it everywhere ... trying to get breakfast in the Lido, trying to get in to see a show, you name it.

Just my humble opinion ... but I don't think I'll be sailing the Eurodam anytime soon.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The cruise lines actually list both capacity levels, I've listed the Eurodam below. You have no idea how many adults will cram three or four into a stateroom, we do it all the time for clients... The kiddie trend seems to heading back toward taking them out of school, we usually have 0-2 kids on our surf or music cruises, our October cruise is at about 30 kids in our group right now...

Holland America Lines

- ms Eurodam

*Year Built: 2008

*Year Refurbished:

*Year Entered Present Fleet: 2008

*Previous Name:

*Country Of Registry: Netherlands

*Tonnage (GRT): 86,700

*Pax (basis 2): 2,104

*Max Pax (inc. Uppers): 2,611

*Passenger Decks: 11

*Number Of Crew: 929

*Officers' Nationality: International

*Cruise/Hotel Staff Nationality:International

just checked and it still is not even possible to check for 5 occupants on the TA software that HAL uses...

Debbie

Thanks, Debbie.

We were posting at the same time. Didn't want it to seem I ignored your message..... :o I didn't see it until now.

I believe that the fuel surcharge comment is a Carnival corporate statement ... and some ships in the Carnival family of lines do allow 5 to a cabin.

If no HAL cabin accommodates 5, HAL should modify the fuel charge comment to be accurate for its ships and, thereby, eliminate this confusion.

I think Camp637 is correct.....

I had exactly this experience on the Zuiderdam in 2004 ... in August ... when I was too wet behind the ears to know that you don't book a seven-day cruise when the kids are out of school. I had no problems whatsoever with the kids. All seemed well behaved and mannerly. It was just that there were so many of them ... everywhere ... in the pools, in the Lido, at the pool snack bar ... you name it. Getting a seat for the show, hearing yourself talk with your tablemates in the dining room, finding a place to sit down with your breakfast tray and eat ... all these things were very, very difficult.

Well, the Zuiderdam doesn't allow for five people in a stateroom. It is also a slightly smaller ship ... so if it was that crowded and uncomfortable during a school vacation week, I can only imagine what the Eurodam will be like.

I'd say the Eurodam is a ship to be enjoyed for a longer cruise ... one that takes place when all the kids are happily engaged in their classrooms, leaving the ship to just the adults ... and no more than two of them per stateroom.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It has been my understanding that HAL in recent years does have a limit as to how many children are allowed on a particular ship.

Except KK said she saw a suite made up for sleeping four and a crib. :confused: I've never seen more than four in a Suite and that is more than enough IMO

I waited one day until they came into the Neptune Lounge and then took a walk. Their cabin was either 3 or 4 down from us.

The mother looked tired the entire 7 days.

I wasn't able to see any coffee table in there -- I think it was removed.

Except KK said she saw a suite made up for sleeping four and a crib. :confused: I've never seen more than four in a Suite and that is more than enough IMO

Was that the post about the Penthouse? I could see it in there, but someone would have to call HAL to make those arrangements. What actually happens, more often than not, is (just an example here) a family of 5 books a cabin and the grandparents book a cabin, four passengers from the first family are actually registered in the quad cabin and three (grandparents plus the extra kid) are registered in the other cabin, in reality, the five are living in the quad cabin and two are in the other. I actually have quite a bit of this going on with our October Oosterdam group.

It has been my understanding that HAL in recent years does have a limit as to how many children are allowed on a particular ship.

There isn't a limit on children, there is a limit on 3rd and 4th passengers on the ship. HAL has so few triple or quad room (in relation to other cruiselines) that this doesn't often become an issue with them as it does other cruise lines. Many of the HAL quad cabins, such as the large "J" cabins and the suites, are booked by doubles wanting the extra space so that keeps the 3rd and 4th numbers down.

There isn't a limit on children, there is a limit on 3rd and 4th passengers on the ship. HAL has so few triple or quad room (in relation to other cruiselines) that this doesn't often become an issue with them as it does other cruise lines. Many of the HAL quad cabins, such as the large "J" cabins and the suites, are booked by doubles wanting the extra space so that keeps the 3rd and 4th numbers down.

Thanks -- that is what I was thinking about.

Yup -- we are just 2 people who always book an SA -- helps keep the numbers down.

Good God !!!

A week crammed in one cabin (whatever the size) with DW, 3 kids (one a teenage girl)

I would never even see the bathroom *LOL*

I would have to go in the public restrooms , and take a shower with a hose up on deck :)

Archived