Favorite Picture of All Time

There is a story that goes with this picture. At 41 my sister had a major stroke. To save her life they had to do surgery and as a result, take out about 1/3 of her skull....it stayed safe in her belly for over a year (because she had a staph infection post op they did not want to put it back too soon) while she recovered. At her most critical moment in the ICU, I held her hand and told her if she would only open her eyes I would take her anywhere in the world she wanted to go....her eyes flew open (the first of many miracles!), and as soon as she came off the ventilator she requested we go on a cruise. So in late April this year, almost 2 years after her stroke, we boarded the Legend with our mom, our other sister, two nieces and my sisters’ best friend. My sister wanted to swim with the dolphins more than anything else, so I scheduled the Royal Swim. Although VERY skeptical when we arrived, given my sisters physical limitations, the staff agreed to "let her try”. This picture was taken during the foot push.....what you can't see are the six women standing in the water watching her, laughing and crying at the same time. Since this day, my sister has continued to recover, expanding her horizons daily; because this moment in time renewed her confidence and made her realize that ANYTHING is possible!

2121356710064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

I originally posted the above story back in 2008. This year my sister joined me on our cruise again and this time she wanted to snorkel. I corresponded with Patouche charters in Tortola for months ahead of time and let him know about my sisters limitations. He was incredibly patient and helped us make her dream come true. Here is a picture my DH snapped of us swimming back to the boat with her. She held on to the life ring and we assisted her in fulfilling another dream.

IMG_6357.JPG

And this is her pointing to a school of fish. What can't be conveyed in the picture is the sound of her screaming through the snorkel as she spotted the fish....she was thrilled!

P4280297.JPG

Ooooooooooh my, I am enjoying these pictures so much.:) Several of them have brought back GOOD memories of my vacations in some of these places.

As I am at work, I don't get to look much, but when I get a chance, I'll "KEEP" looking, until I get through this thread.

Everyone have a great/safe 2012!

Brenda

Kansas City (Gladstone), Missouri

Afterthought, We are having 50's/60's here on December 29th, and don't know what to do, as it is so AWESOME! We KNOW, BAD weather will be here before we know it, but we'll take this kind of weather anytime!

I originally posted the above story back in 2008. This year my sister joined me on our cruise again and this time she wanted to snorkel. I corresponded with Patouche charters in Tortola for months ahead of time and let him know about my sisters limitations. He was incredibly patient and helped us make her dream come true. Here is a picture my DH snapped of us swimming back to the boat with her. She held on to the life ring and we assisted her in fulfilling another dream.

IMG_6357.JPG

I'm glad your sister is still managing to get out and enjoy life. My mom had a bad stroke many years ago, and she had many limitations afterwards, She and my dad were able to take a dream cruise shortly before my dad passed away, and it was probably my mom's favorite memory. The cruise staff went out of their way to make sure my mom had a great time.

Hope your sister gets to enjoy many more adventures!

000_0008.jpg

Happy New Year everyone .... Good way to start the year off by looking at all these great photo's.

Inside Miami Carnival Port (I got in trouble for taking this photo....but it was worth it. Hehehehehe)

OceanDreams

000_0008.jpg.a85e1cd15f02386a2bbcc210adb9f929.jpg

Edited by OceanDreams