Leaving for Journey

Jancruz

We just returned from b2b on the Journey, Baltic and Norway. I have been on several cruise lines, including Oceania and Ren, but never have I experienced a staff and crew like this one. They are outstanding. Capt. Carl Smith is so excited about what he does that it is contagious. I know more about sailing than I could ever understand, but it was wonderful to hear a captain truly enjoy what he does and want to share it. Hotel Manager Philip Herbert was outstanding and clearly has the passengers' interests at heart. He carries a notebook with him and records any comments or concerns. He also follows through in a timely manner. (I don't mean to imply that we had complaints; everything was wonderful.) The cruise director, Dottie Kulasa, is also terrific.

She is friendly, humorous, and seems to be everywhere without being obtrusive (hope that's the right word). In my opinion, she went above and beyond the call of duty when my husband accidentally wiped out our Moscow pictures and she allowed us to make a copy of hers. Really sweet.

We came across some people who looked for things to complain about, and I think it was a stretch for them. As for my husband and myself, we are on vacation and we make the most of it. We take part in activities as it's fun and a great way to meet people. We were disappointed to receive an e-mail that there were not enough CC passengers to warrant a get together, so imagine our happy surprise to see a CC party listed in the daily Pursuits. The Journey hosts a CC party no matter how few qualify for it. On our Baltic cruise there were only 4 of us; there were 16 for the Norway cruise. I got the sense that the staff is sincere in making the cruise enjoyable and memorable. I never felt like they were just doing their job, rather I felt like a very welcomed guest in their home. My husband suggested that there be a way to meet the other b2b's. Within a few days, a cocktail party was organized for this group of 24. The Azamara Journey and its staff aim to please and, IMHO, more than succeed. To all whose cruises are yet to come, have a great and memorable trip.

Hi everyone,

Sorry about missing yesterday but the internet was down..

It was a very nice day in Invergordon overcast but not really any rain..Mal and I took a morning tour to Lochness and Unquart Castle..it was one of the best tours with the most amazing guide I have ever had, every one was raving about their tours and guides both yesterday and today!!

Came back in time for lunch and then went and took a nap..the dark weather is making me sleepy..

Dinner in Aqualina last night with Phillip Herbert the Hotel Manager and Jill from the Miami office it was delightful and we did a lot of talking about improvements and upgrades coming to Azamara..I will say this I have never seen a crew that tried harder to please and almost everyone I talk to says the same thing!!

I love how Captain Smith gives us a description of how he is going to pull out of a port it is wonderful to know and see exactly what he is doing!

Breakfast this morning was wonderful as usual..fresh berries, fruit, cereal, eggs, pancakes, waffles, smoked fish several diffetent kinds and on and on..

personally I wish I could have 2 stomachs for breakfast..we docked in Kirkwall and this morning there was a free shuttle from the ship to the center of town..the town holds 5000 inhabitants (I live in Sun City Palm Desert and we have 10,000)..the little shops were charming with lots to buy..BUT the prices wer VERY high..a couple of the stores had 50% sales and those are the ones we really shopped at!!

Our tour this afternoon was Leisurely North Costal Drive..and was interesting and not too long..we stopped at Ring of Brodgar which is over 1000 years older than Stone Henge in England..after our photo opportunity there we continued on to a small private restaurant that served us tea, coffee, fresh scones and homemade rubarb jam..

Got back to the ship in time for departure at 4:00pm..

Finally had dinner in the main restaurant and it was wonderful..service was a bit slow but we were deep in conversation so didnt mind a bit...

Tomorrow is the last of Scotland and instead of a tour we will be wandering around Oban and just taking in the places of interest!!

Mal and I have really enjoyed this trip as has everyone I have spoken to..I would not hesitate to take an Azamara Cruise again..in fact several people we have met are on their 2nd and 3rd..soon they will need 5 trip pins for passengers!!

Brian..No magnifying mirrors..BUT they do have a couple on board Journey you could request..

Gitte, this is the last trip for Captain Smith, Phillip Herbert and Internet manager Paul Calusio all of whom will be back to Azamara after vacation!!!

Thats it for tonight..

Regards,

Jancruz1

Hi Jan,

Loved hearing your great comments about the Journey. we are really looking forward to our cruise next June to Iceland. We were Celebrity cruisers before we went on Oceania and are so glad that they have a good product in Azamara.

Sheila

Dear Jan,

thanks again for your comments - what a pity to hear that the captain and hotel manager leave the ship for a vacation, I hope our captain on the trip to Barcelona next week will be as nice as your captain...

Have fun on your cruise!

Christina

Jan

Having already been on Azamara twice and due to take our third trip (this time on the Journey) next February, I'm curious to know what exactly you meant by "talking about improvements and upgrades coming to Azamara".

Was this spoken to you in confidence or can you share it with us?

Many thanks for your informative and delightful reports. We hope Journey retains this high standard when we cruise her in Feb.(and of course for everyone else!). Unfortunately, there's still virtually no marketing of Azamara in the UK and we're spreading the word like mad. It's about time the big guns at Celebrity did something about it. No brochures to be seen in any TA's. In fact, some of them don't even know Azamara exists! Perhaps you could mention this to Jill (of the Miami office). I'd be interested in her comments.

We hope you continue to enjoy your vacation and look forward to hearing your adventures.

Rita

Hi Rita,

I agree that Azamara doesn't seem to be advertising very aggressively. When I asked my TA here in Canada last Jan.to book our Asian cruise on Quest next Jan. she had never heard of it. (I first heard of AZ on this site.) With some investigation she got us a great deal with early booking plus an extra 15% further discount for an Azamara "promotion" once she contacted them.

Jancruz1,

I love following your adventures! I'm guessing that Journey and Quest are so similar in every way that we can expect the same wonderful service , food, etc. that you are experiencing. Thanks for letting us "travel" along with you!

Hi Jan,

Glad to see that you are having a wonderful cruise. We are on the cruise right after yours and I was a bit disappointed to hear that Capt. Smith and the hotel director will both be on vacation during our cruise. I understand that vacations are necessary, but I am a bit concerned about a schedule that would have both on vacation at the same time. But hopefully, their replacements will be just as proficient in performing their jobs.

We are at anchor in Oban today and it is another day of rain..I am enjoying this as being from Southern California, I have not seen rain in 3 years..so finally I am wearing a raincoat and carrying an umbrella!!!

This morning Mal and I did laundry (the laundry room was empty as everyone was on tours)..and we had to go to the desk to get quarters..each washer and each dryer takes 8 quarters or $2 a load, I am going to suggest switching to a card or token system as it is difficult to carry so many quarters.

We then boarded the tender to Oban, about 7 minute ride, and lo and behold before us was this charming town ..everything is convenient to the docks and we walked in the rain about 1.5 hours..we got back at 2:20pm and since the buffet was still open, I went for lunch..Mal went to the computer room..and I have to say..I had the best sirloin of beef and mashed potatos I have ever eaten..I cant believe how tasty..I have gotten to the point of tasting instead of eating as I want to fit in my clothes in 8 more days when we have to return home..

We also went to a mobile store and got a new sim card for our phone as it wasnt working (thank goodness Mal understands all the ins and outs of electronics..I am a dork when it comes to them..now I can call and check on Stu and see if he has put the new puppy in the micro wave yet..(just kidding) I cant believe I left him alone with a new puppy for 2 weeks..LOL

Thats it for now..off to read

Ah, the question about the library..it is well stocked BUT not with current fiction or non-fiction books..so I have been catching up on all the older ones I had not read!!!

Jancruz1

Jan, thanks so much for all of your insighteful reporting.

We now know to bring our usual 20-30 books.. These will be left in the library for the next folks so they won't have to bring them.

I still await your comparison of Azamara with O.

Continue to enjoy!:)

Hi JDS3

I am rather surprised at your disappointment at the change-over of Captain and Hotel Director.....

I assume that someone else can drive the boat......and what does the Hotel Director actually do, other than delegate.

Brian

We are on the cruise right after yours and I was a bit disappointed to hear that Capt. Smith and the hotel director will both be on vacation during our cruise. I understand that vacations are necessary, but I am a bit concerned about a schedule that would have both on vacation at the same time. But hopefully, their replacements will be just as proficient in performing their jobs.

Hi JDS !

I wouldnt worry about it at all. Azamara has many fantastic Officers and crew members. I highly doubt you will notice any difference on your sailing. Enjoy your Cruise !

Hi Jan

I am enjoying your "travelogue" postings even though we are on the Quest later this year, not the Journey. There is a discussion thread about Wine Packages on Azamara. Celebrity now has them accrording to their brochure but are they available on Azamara yet? Were packages available for purchase for your cruise?

Jenny

Hi Folks,

Another rainy day..but we are getting used to it since we never have rain in California..I am getting a chance to wear my rain gear and use my umbrella..

Oban, what a charming town..we tendered in and at the end of the pier was the main shooping street..what a delightful experience this town was..everyone is so friendly..Mal got some darling shoes on sale and we just walked until our feet were numb..

In the evening we were at Prime C again with some delightful people that live in Jerusalem..what and interesting evening we had..I cant begin to tell you how wonderful the service was..I ordered a wonderful bottle of Berringer Cabernet..and it was outstanding..I had the BBQ Salmon and it was outstanding..thank goodness I have a small breakfast and lunch or they would be rolling me off the ship..I have not been to any of the shows I will go tonight, but everyone I have talked to was impressed with the quality of the entertainment..

Yesterday (really pouring) Mal and I took a tour of Belfast for 3.5 hours..I must say Belfast was much prettier than I expected with lovely tree lined streets and mostly red brick builings..for the 3 tour our guide was outstanding..easy to understand and full of knowledge..I learned a lot about Ireland I didnt know before in my 4 other visits to southern Ireland!! He even quoted poetry to us by memory..The University and Gardens are well worth seeing if you have the chance..people that went to the Giant Causeway, a nine hour tour, liked it but because of the rain and cold some were disappointed..

Last night there was a special dinner for suite guests..and truly it is worth it to have a PH or Royal Suite..the most amazing dinner I have ever experienced..Brian you are in for a real treat..dont miss it..

Capt. Smith lives on the Isle of Man and we passed it about 9:30 last night..the Captain slowed the boat and his wife and 2 year old son were standing on land waving flashlights at us while the Captain blew the whistle..it was such a fun thing to see!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today NO RAIN..lovely sunny day in Dublin and Mal and I went off to Grafton Street (main shopping area) we walked for about 2.5 hours and did some shopping, almost every store had a sale and we finally got to use our Euros here..we stopped for fries for Mal and coffee for me and it was $7.50 USD

pretty pricey I thought..truthfully, I am very sorry we did not take a tour..even tho Mal wanted to shop and I have been here many times..I felt she missed a lot!!

We leave at 4:00pm and it is 2:30 now..and it is clouding over again..the forecast says sunny and warm in the places ahead so we are looking forward to changing into summer clothes..tonight Mal and I will eat in the main dining room, just the 2 of us..and discuss our trip so far..

I will also check on the wine package..to see if we can purchase one and exactly what it is..

As far as the improvements..I will have to as again due to my faulty memory..one thing I did remember is that they are looking into putting lighted magnifying mirrors in each cabin..

More tomorrow...

Jancruz1

Hi Jan !

Thanks again for your updates. Sorry to hear about the weather, but I am glad that you are having a great Cruise. That was a Wonderful story about Capt Smith. He must be a fantastic Captain, and I hope we meet him on a future sailing. Enjoy your Cruise !

Jan:

Your posts are amazing! Can't wait until our December Journey voyage. Could you answer a quick question from another post - is there a charge for the T-pool on Journey. Some say yes, some no - would appreciate some "on board" information. Thanks so much, and you and Mal continue to enjoy your wonderful cruise.

K

Jan

Have you had a chance to speak to Jill (Miami office) again (re my previous post). Also any further info regarding 'improvements and upgrades coming to Azamara.'

Rita

Like pool and spa lifts? May need the heated water more as we are booked in Nov/Dec for the DH's retirement B2B.

Jan,

I am reading your posts with great interest since as you might recall we were on your Bermuda cruise with you. You are lucky that Marcy and her sister aren't with you, as I recall they kept you tied up in your cabin for most of the Bermuda cruise LOL. Seriously, I'm glad to hear that things have improved so much, you and I both had many small complaints in Bermuda. We are getting excited about our 18 night SE Asia cruise on Quest over Christmas and New Years. We booked it while on the ship in Bermuda and really got a good deal. It seemed so far away back in Sept. 07 but now is only 4 months away. Keep up the interesting reports.

Andy

Oh my gosh what a day..

I woke up at about 8:30 and looked out of the balcony door and surprise..dark and gloomy and rain..but ever hopeful, I knew we were not docking in Falmouth until 10am so I was sure it would clear up..Mal and I had breakfast about 9am in windows cafe when the adorable captain came on and said he had to bring in the stabilizers so he could pick up the pilot..and to prepare us for a little rolling.

We docked about 10:15 and truthfully the weather was awful..about 60 and pouring..Mal and I had a tour booked called Harbour Village of Polperro

We drove about 1 hour through the countryside and it was beautiful (tho wet) and came to this charming village called Charleston where we had a photo stop..about an hour later we were in Polperro a charming village of whitewashed houses and darling shops and bakeries..I stopped for a delicious homemade pasty (filled with steak, onions and potatos) Mal doesnt like new food so she just had a chocolate muffin..we walked for about 1.5 hours in the rain and decided it was enough and went back to the bus for 1/2 hour to wait for everyone else..we were all really wet..driving back to the ship..we have never seen such a downpour..when we got to the port..it was raining so hard that from the coach to the ship everyone was drenched!!!!!!!!

What a pleasure to get into a hot shower...

While Mal and I were having dinner in Breezas (the chef had gone shopping in Falmouth and had brought all this beautiful fresh seafood, fish, shrimp, mussels etc. on board and it was being cooked to order anyway you wanted it...) the Captain came on and said the weather does not look good for St Peter Port tomorrow so we are all guessing where we might be going..it is now 10:15 and we have just left port about 2 hours late..I heard they couldnt get the gangway secured..but as you all know on a ship there is always gossip!!!!

We just watched the Newlywed game and stopped here in the internet cafe on our way to Pub night in Looking Glass..

Questions you asked..

There is no wine package available on Azamara yet that is one of the upgrades they are working on..annother upgrade is getting each room to have a magnifying mirror on the wall that ligjts up.

The T-Pool does have a daily charge with the exception..if you are in a Penthouse Suite or a Royal Suite it is complimentary.

Thats the news from today..

more tomorrow!!!!

Jancruz1

Pretty rocky night last night, I felt like I was in a cradle..(or at least how a baby in a cradle would feel..LOL)

At 7:30am the Captain came on and said that we had picked up the pilot(6;00am) and tried to anchor in St. Peter Port but that in his estimation it was to windy to tender in..(looking at the water, I could see his point)

We now have a day at sea..which is wonderful because we are sailing into warm sunshine and I am actually wearing cotton instead of wool!!!!!!!

I had room service this morning, Arvind D. Costa, the head butler brought it in and he is wonderful from India and will be on the next few trips..I hope some of you are lucky enough to get him on your Journey cruise!!!!!!

So, we are on our way to Amsterdam and definitely we will have an overnight there tomorrow and the Captain is trying to get us a berth for the daytime so we will have 2 days in Amsterdam..everyone seems to be happy about the change..I know I am, it has really been a busy trip and I can use the day to recharge..and see the sun...

Its been amazing to see how fast the crew adjusted to the change..Dottie (the CD) had a new day program printed and under our doors within an hour of the announcement..I am really delighted at the efficiency on board..Last night after writing..Mal and I went to the English Pub they had set up in Looking Glass..we were playing darts, I was drinking beer and we were singing and dancing..nice crowd up there!!!!!

Off to sit in the warm air and do some reading..

More tomorrow!!

Jancruz1

Wow, sounds like rough weather - and it is summer. Hope you didn't get sea sick. Enjoy the day at sea to rest and relax!

Thanks for the info about the wine package not available yet. Obviously the thread on wine packages is a little premature!

JJ

Jan, thanks again for your wonderful reports.

We have been on 3 cruises scheduled to stop at St.Peters Port and have never actually stopped there because of the weather. We see that some cruise lines have totally eliminated that port from their planned stops.

Get some rest and enjoy the balance of your time on board.;)

Archived