Leaving for Journey

Jancruz

Hi Everyone,

FYI..I am leaving for Journey British Isles Cruise on Wednesday the 30 July and will be posting every day from on board the ship..

I look forward to my 2nd trip on Azamara with anticipation as I know how much it has improved since my first trip to Bermuda..

Please feel free to ask any questions while I am board I will be delighted to answer..I am taking my 19 year old granddaughter, Malorie, with me and she is beyond excited..

So talk to you from the ship and please feel free to ask away!!

Jancruz1

Hi Jan,

I'll see you Thursday! In the meantime, can you answer a few questions about Suite menities? I'm down to the wire on my packing. I'm flying Biz Clas on LH and they allow 66 lbs of luggage... that's tough for a girl!

If I can cut back on my bathroom amenities, that would help. What does AZ offer?

Yeah, Diane, keep braggin' about your 66 lb. limit when I'm tryin' to get all my stuff in my 44 lb. bag! I might just have to pay for a 2nd bag!

Never mind!! I just talked to AirFrance and they said even tho it says "operated by Delta" I'll be using Air France baggage guidelines which are 2 bags at 50lbs each! Yeah!!!!

So, Diane, is there anything you need for me to take in my bags? LOL

Hi Jan !

Have a wonderful Cruise on Journey. If you can let us know who the Ships Officers & Cruise Director are, it would be helpful. I look forward to your updates. Bon Voyage !

Hi Jan !

Have a wonderful Cruise on Journey. If you can let us know who the Ships Officers & Cruise Director are, it would be helpful. I look forward to your updates. Bon Voyage !

I will Andy..I will check as soon as I get on board!

Jancruz1

Hi Jan,

I'll see you Thursday! In the meantime, can you answer a few questions about Suite menities? I'm down to the wire on my packing. I'm flying Biz Clas on LH and they allow 66 lbs of luggage... that's tough for a girl!

If I can cut back on my bathroom amenities, that would help. What does AZ offer?

Here are the Elemis amenities that are in the suites:

Shampoo

Conditioner

Body Lotion

Shower Gel

Soap

Hair dryers

Clocks

Jancruz1

Jan

Jean wants to know if there is a magnifying mirror in the bathroom ?

Have a safe trip

Brian

I will let you know when I am on board...I hope there is one, I need it!

Jancruz1

Dear Jan,

I hope you and your grand-daughter have a super trip. I am also looking forward to your postings from the ship.

We are booked on Journey in October '09 Athens to Rome and are very anxious to hear the comparison to Oceania as this will be our first Azamara cruise, with fingers crossed. Enjoy every minute!:D

Dear Jan,

I hope you and your grand-daughter have a super trip. I am also looking forward to your postings from the ship.

We are booked on Journey in October '09 Athens to Rome and are very anxious to hear the comparison to Oceania as this will be our first Azamara cruise, with fingers crossed. Enjoy every minute!:D

Thanks Orchestrapal..I know it will be great with her..and I love the ship and the people..if you have any specific questions..pleas be sure to ask..

Regards,

Jancruz1..24 hours to go!

Hi Jan,

I'm looking forward to your continuing reports. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

At some time during your cruise, would you please report on the butler situation on the ship. According to the Azamara web site, suite passengers are charged an extra $4.00 per person per day for senior butler service in addition to regular butler and room attendant services. The implication is that the senior butler is not the same person as the regular room butler. Is this correct? Exactly what does a senior butler do? Thanks.

Dave

Hi Jan,

I'm looking forward to your continuing reports. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

At some time during your cruise, would you please report on the butler situation on the ship. According to the Azamara web site, suite passengers are charged an extra $4.00 per person per day for senior butler service in addition to regular butler and room attendant services. The implication is that the senior butler is not the same person as the regular room butler. Is this correct? Exactly what does a senior butler do? Thanks.

Dave

Im pretty sure I know but I will recheck with the hotel manager Phillip when I meet with him Friday..

Jancruz1

Hi everyone,

Mal and I landed in Copenhagen at 7:40am Thursday..(yesterday) there was a desk and a representative standing in the luggage area that said Azamara..very easy to find and sign in for the transfer..I found out there were 64 passengers on our airplane so we met lots of people right off the bat!!

I was very impressed at how quickly and effortlessly we had our luggage taken and boarded a double decker bus for an informative 2.5 hour tour.

When we arrived at the ship we boarded immediately..to a champagne welcome.

Boarding Journey is like walking into a Four Seasons Hotel lovely dark woods and very elegant decorating..to me after being on Ren and O it felt like coming home!!

Lunch was being served in Windows Cafe a lovely buffet of hot and cold choices..salad bar etc.

Mal and I decided to have a hot dog and hamburger out at the Pool Grill which were excellent and probably the best fries we had ever eaten.

After lunch we waited to get into our stateroom and then unpacked and settled down for a short nap..which turned into waking up at 7pm.. we decided to have dinner in Breezas and the choices were stirfry..pick your own

ingredients, Pasta choose what ever you want to have made and sushi among other entrees..we sat out on the aft deck in a beautiful setting it was quite a lovely evening..and had wonderful food..

After walking around the ship and peeking into all the public rooms it was back to bed and a full nights sleep!

At 9am our breakfast arrived (we had ordered it the night before) French toast, etc. (yes a full hot breakfast) and sat out on the balcony to eat..

We watched the eclipse this morning on deck 11 with several of the officers including Capt. Carl Smith and the hotel Manager Phillip Herbert..really friendly and easy to talk to..

It is now 1pm and the weather has completely turned around from the lovely sunny 70's to cold and rainy..

More tomorrow and I will check on the questions you have asked me..

Regards,

Jancruz1

We are booked on the Journey B2B next Fall for the DHs retirement cruise. From Rome to Barcelona to FLL which comes to 27 days, with flying, without my dog. So, biggie and appearently changes daily at RCCL, does the Journey now have a pool lift for the disabled to the pool, a hot tub and/or the spa? We sailed her last Fall and there were no lifts. Suddenly when we listed that as one of two reasons we swapped our spring 09 TA to Constellation they have one? I'd prefer hearing from another passenger. TIA!

And enjoy the ship. Other than the pool thing it is a wonderful experience.

Thanks for the update.

We booked the Journey for 13 September and I look forward to this cruise.

Which nationality is Phillip Herbert?

Is there an Italian restaurant at night at the pool? (pool grill during the day - Italian at night??)

Gitte

Sorry I didnt post yesterday but the internet was down all day and night..

I will start with our unbelieveable dinner in Prime C..There were 4 of us at the table each with a different appetiser and each one was outstanding..I had a nut covered shrimp that was wonderful with 2 different sauces..

My Filet was so tender you did not need a knife to cut it and desert, Chocolate Lava Cake ( I love anything chocolate) was to die for..Mal also had the filet and liked it a lot!! She says she is a very picky eater!

Yesterday our first day in Edinburgh we met a friend that lives there..if any of you remember David Kelly from Oceania..he picked Mal and I up in Queens Ferry where we were tendered in from the ship, and we went to lunch at a lovely pub right down the road..We watched as Journey moved out to her berth in Leith and then we drove over to Leith (45 minutes) and David dropped us off at Ocean Terminal, a mall near the ship port, where we wandered around checking prices (wow so high) and then walked back to Journey..Weather was beautiful..sunny and warm..did not have the rain that was expected..

Last night Mal and I ate in Aqualina and the food was again outstanding..I believe that the rack of lamb I had was the best I have ever tasted..I asked to see the chef and when he came out so I could compliment him ..I was very surpised as he looks 18 and is from Las Vegas..I told him his food is superb as he is the head chef for both Prime C and Aqualina..

Today started out dark and gloomy but as we got on the shuttle for Prince's street it lightened up and was delightful..Mal and I walked Prince's street for a while did some small shopping..and as we cam back to the ship the downpour started..

The ship leaves Edinburgh in about 1 hour and now is nap time!!!

As to the new questions..No I do not see any lift at the pool and tho I wll ask..I am pretty sure the ship does not have one ... the pool grill does not stay open after four as an Italian restaurant..Breezas is open in the evening with homemade pasta..cooked to your liking!!

Thats it for now..

More tomorrow when we are in Inverness..

Jancruz1

Hi Jan,

We are really enjoying your adventures on this cruise. We are taking this same cruise next August '09. Thank you for such a detailed explanation of the ship and ports. We are planning to stay a few nights pre-cruise in Copenhagan but they have not announced the hotels offered. Would you happen to know which hotels Azamara uses? Also, we are booked in cabin 8025, any thoughts? Thanks again and happy cruising to you and Malorie.

Lori

Thanks Jan for asking about the pool lift. I sort of figured someone would have mentioned one coming in when we were down in the Caribbean last Fall on her. Sorry to hear about the downpour but I think that's part of the UK experience. We also really loved Aqualina and the DH wanted to take the lamb roaster home with us. LOL Enjoy the wilderness of Inverness...

Dear Jan,

thank you for your comments from the Journey, it makes the days shorter until our cruise next week - we do the next cruise on the Journey from Copenhagen to Barcelona!

Enjoy your time on the ship!!!

Christina

Yes, a sudden downpour is part of the UK experience. However, we've had some great weather lately down South with temperatures in the 80's, but UK weather is unpredictable. It's still warm, but we have sunshine and showers for the next few days according to the forecasters. The best advice would be to have a small fold-up umbrella with you most times.

As for the library, we've been on Azamara Quest twice and the library is well-stocked as ship's libraries go. Anyway, does it really matter? I always make sure I have my own supply of paperbacks when on vacation and just browse the library on board out of interest.

Rita

Archived