How is the food on Celebrity since the change in Chefs?

I Love NC

We haven't cruised with Celebrity since they changed their Chef (we loved their food)

I am interested in comments from recent Celebrity travelers now that the Chef/menus have changed!! Thank you in advance! I know this is an area of Personal OPINION!!!

We haven't cruised with Celebrity since they changed their Chef (we loved their food)

I am interested in comments from recent Celebrity travelers now that the Chef/menus have changed!! Thank you in advance! I know this is an area of Personal OPINION!!!

They have not just changed chefs which is ongoing but they have made new enhancements to their food service. Below is a link to the new Culinary changes which are fleetwide. It is only a couple of weeks old.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000zmFuiQUNzXn7ZrjKYrpGBtC:12hdebebp?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2008-07-10&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

Yes, Elizabeth Blau did replace Michel Roux in the past year and is responsible for the development of the new menus being rolled out by Celebrity. This is an ongoing process. When we sailed on Constellation in March, the process was just beginning and we didn't have the new menus....so I can't really give you an answer on how the new menus stack up versus the old. But I can tell you that I've had the opportunity to see sample menus for the venues on Solstice and htey look terrific!

I'm sure lots of folks will be sharing information as we go along.

We were on Summit at the end of April. I can tell you that we loved the food. We thought it was better than our cruise on Infinity (Michele Roux food). It's not that it was bad on Infinity; we just liked it better on Summit. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

We just came off Mercury today from an Alaskan 7-day cruise, and we were so impressed with the evening meals we started photographing the menus and the dishes as they arrived each night. Extremely well-presented, very tasty, and we always found a choice we enjoyed.

As a vegetarian who eats fish (not shellfish), will the menus be to my liking? I was disappointed with the choice on the Princess 2 years ago, but found the food and choice terrific on Royal Carribean last year.

As a vegetarian who eats fish (not shellfish), will the menus be to my liking? I was disappointed with the choice on the Princess 2 years ago, but found the food and choice terrific on Royal Carribean last year.

Hi:) They offer a separate Vegatarian Menu

and on the main menu they always offer a fish and a pasta

dish. I have found the fish to be really good (just my

opinion). I had Teryaki Salmon the last couple of cruises

and it was delicious:D.

Hi:) They offer a separate Vegatarian Menu

and on the main menu they always offer a fish and a pasta

dish. I have found the fish to be really good (just my

opinion). I had Teryaki Salmon the last couple of cruises

and it was delicious:D.

Separate vegetarian menu sounds great :)

Next question - does anyone have experience of Kosher food onboard the Galaxy?

Hi, did you book through a Travel Agent or directly with the

cruiseline?

IF a TA, you need to have them get in touch with X and put

in that request.

If you booked directly with the cruiseline call this number:

Celebrity Special Services at 1-800-242-6374 and press

option 3.

Hi, did you book through a Travel Agent or directly with the

cruiseline?

IF a TA, you need to have them get in touch with X and put

in that request.

If you booked directly with the cruiseline call this number:

Celebrity Special Services at 1-800-242-6374 and press

option 3.

I've already requested it through my TA, but was just wondering what it was like. I know some ships cook it separately in a totally different kitchen, whislt others just serve up the plastic tray meals.

It has to be preordered 60 days prior to the cruise. It appears like pre-packed airline food. It is not prepared on board.

We sailed Millennium July 4-11 and were rather disappointed in the new menus. The food was bland, and there were fewer selections. Further, there is no longer a separate vegetarian menu and on 3 nights of the 7 night cruise the vegetarian option was pasta. We had the maitre'd (Jovel - who is wonderful) come over each night to explain to my daughter her choices for the next night, most of which were Indian cuisine. Both our waiter (Richard) and Jovel recommended we write to Celebrity expressing the need for more vegetarian options, and our concerns overall. As usual the service was great, more so than all our other cruises. I will say that "lobster" night is greatly improved and Olympic was fabulous, as usual.

We have many cruises with X and although the food remains top shelf we have seen it declined somewhat over the last eight years. The menu changes have added new meals, subtle changes to others while other remained unchanged. Overall the food is very good to excellent. We have noticed that fish has been overcooked and at times tough, there is a lot more mashed potatoes than before and most of the soups are way too salty for our taste. I eat off the Veggie menu several times a cruise. There some great dishes available. I know them when I see them but can't relate them from memory here.

Kosher meals are available, If you have some very special requests I recommend you or your TA contact X with your request and they will be better prepared honer them.

If you would like something special while aboard ask your Assistant Maitre D' a day or so in advance and they will be happy to accommodate you.

We have asked for special lunches and I always have my lamb done a special way and have never been turned down.

Casual Dining has changed too. The menu is the same nightly with four entrées with a different Chef's Special nightly. Salmon, Blacken New York Strip, Chicken and a pasta dish. Also available is a nightly is Stir Fry, Sushi Bar (Very Good), a Pizza and pasta Bars also available.

Galaxy is involved in the change. We cruised in her 27 nights in May and the changes had been made. Galaxy was still working out the kinks but the food was great. The Stir Fry bar is available for breakfast and lunch and long with a breakfast pizza bar. Lunch also has a Asian Station with daily menu changes.

The Room Service menu is acceptable but rarely used by us, during Restaurant hours approximately 6p to 10p you may order off the Restaurant menu as well.

I can't not compare with other lines because we only cruise X and RCL. We think that the food in X is a cut above RCL.

Lastly, this part of cruising is very subjective and I would not argue with anyone over the above. ~ Rick

Oh, well, that's a real drag! I had been counting on Celebrity to let me eat off their vegetarian menu and was expecting high quality presentations and experience ... just like everyone else. I am a vegetarian and I don't eat fish. The idea that my options will be pasta and pasta and veggie curry and pasta is really really a disappointment and I am going off on the Millennium in less than a month.

Can anyone provide the Celebrity number that makes most sense to call about this? I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

fern

I've sent them an email off the website as I'm keen for some clarification ahead of our cruise onboard the Galaxy on the 11th (2 weeks - yay!!! :D). I know you can always ask the maitre'd if they'll do anything extra for which they are usually quite accomodating, but it'd be lovely to have the additional menu so as not to draw attention to your dieatry requirements. My wife and I had several unsavoury (no pun intended!) incidents aboard the Sea Princess a few years ago as a result of this.

Hi,

I just contacted Celebrity's special needs department and the woman I spoke with kept reiterating that there was always a vegetarian option on the menu. I kept reiterating that it was not the same as a separate menu with lots of choices and she is now finding this out for me and will email me as soon as she hears. I hope pressure can be applied ... from where I don't know. If they dropped the menu it's because not enough people ordered from it, I am sure. I took a cruise on RCCL's Radiance last August and I thought they were very good with offering some creative food once they heard I was vegetarian. I hope Celebrity can do as well! I even booked the Olympic on the hope they can accommodate me well and planned to find the Maitre d' as soon as we boarded to see if it were possible. Otherwise, I would of course cancel asap.

More to come ...

fern

FERNEM, I don't recall X ever having a strictly vegetarian menu to choose from in the main dining room, but I could be wrong. I do know that there has always been a vegetarian selection in the appetizer section and the entree section along with a non dairy dessert selection. Also, as others have mentioned you can request a vegetarian meal to be prepared for you each night if you give them some inclinations of what you like. My DD did this on our Galaxy cruise a few nights and made the request the night before each service and had no problem.

In the buffet area there is a stir-fry area that has some wonderful vegetables and legumes and I think I saw some pressed tofu one day and some seitan also.

They are always willing to try to please you...at least that is my experience. Scott

Hi,

Thanks for the effort in soothing me, firstplacechef. I know I will be fed well. Between the stir fry and sushi section and pizza to order and pasta bar and spa cafe, there will be ample food. But, after thirty five years of it, I am really a foodie ... just with a different perspective. I want beautifully presented food and sophisticated effort. I was kinda hoping maybe I could get that on Celebrity. I have been told over and over that there is a separate vegetarian menu; one only needs ask for it. It is such a treat to get a menu with choices. (I live in Northern California where there are many vegetarian restaurants of note and it is always a delight for us.) Oh, well. I can quite happily eat appetizers and baked potatoes and good veggies and look forward to dessert with enthusiasm. (And I do eat eggs and dairy, so I will not turn down that creme brulee!)

fern

Hi,

Thanks for the effort in soothing me, firstplacechef. I know I will be fed well. Between the stir fry and sushi section and pizza to order and pasta bar and spa cafe, there will be ample food. But, after thirty five years of it, I am really a foodie ... just with a different perspective. I want beautifully presented food and sophisticated effort. I was kinda hoping maybe I could get that on Celebrity. I have been told over and over that there is a separate vegetarian menu; one only needs ask for it. It is such a treat to get a menu with choices. (I live in Northern California where there are many vegetarian restaurants of note and it is always a delight for us.) Oh, well. I can quite happily eat appetizers and baked potatoes and good veggies and look forward to dessert with enthusiasm. (And I do eat eggs and dairy, so I will not turn down that creme brulee!)

fern

Hi Fern,:) Glad I am not the only one who mentioned the

vegetarian menu then.....I try to post what I know as accurate:)

I can't recall when I saw it over the years, but I know

there have been Vegetarian Menus, and as you note, you

normally have to ask for it.

Hopefully your pallet will find some delicious dishes:D

Archived